The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    Nice job on the rows and squats man. I am looking to reconstruct my routine pretty soon as well. Not sure which direction I'm gonna go yet though. I am curious, what is the "midnight express" listed on your fitday log? Is that some sort of protein?
    I love compound lifts. I hardly do any isolation nowadays

Oh that is Boditronics Midnight Express, not sure of it's availability in the US but it's a Whey/Casein/Egg protein with extra glutamine, HMB and a few other goodies. Chocolate flavour only, malty taste, nice before bed No Calcium so you can take it with ZMA, which I do.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Tuesday 9th December:
    Training - Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) 90 minutes

Macros (C/P/F) - 36/30/34
    Calories In - 2,469
    Calories Out - 3,491
    Cal. Balance -1022 HAVE IT!!

Bloody intense session, really pushed it hard. Lots of bag work without rest. Very high intensity for almost the entire 90 minutes with 2x 20 second water breaks.

Treated myself to a pint of 2% milk with 3 small spoons of chocolate Nesquik milkshake mix afterwards. Mmmmm. Chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink following intense cardio.

Todays Food - Please see attached Screenshot

Todays Workout

Thai Boxing - 90 Minutes (Very-high intensity)

Gasman.

Attached Images Attached Images
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Wednesday 9th December:
    Training - Week 1 Day 2 5x5 and 'Disco' Spin

Macros (C/P/F) - 33/36/31
    Calories In - 2,534
    Calories Out - 3,190
    Cal. Balance -656 Good

Feeling overtrained in the morning. The previous two days of low calories and the intense thai boxing class hit me. I manned up and faced it head on. Coffee helped Lunchtime I did a 'Disco' spinning class for charity, where you paid a few £ as a donation and the gym instructors took the class dressed up in silly 70's costumes (very funny) with crazy disco music playing. A good laugh and a good way to raise money for charity and burn a few calories. I immediately devoured my sandwich and protein shake after that.

The evenings training was the next day of my 5x5, still feeling drained but I pushed it as hard as I could. Still testing the water as this is the first time I've put together a 5x5. I am enjoying it though!!

Todays Food - I'm not posting the food anymore, I will keep track of it on Fitday, and continue to post calorie and macro counts though. My eating is fairly consistent as you can see, with saturday as cheat day

Todays Workout

Military Press - Warmup 1 - 5kg x 10 reps
    Warmup 2 - 25kg x 5 reps
    Set 1 - 55kg x 5
    Set 2 - 60kg x 5
    Set 3 - 60kg x 5
    Set 4 - 60kg x 5
    Set 5 - 60kg x 5
    Notes - 55 was too light. 60 was a good start. No problems.

Bodyweight Pullups -
    Set 1 - B x 5
    Set 2 - B x 5
    Set 3 - B x 5
    Set 4 - B x 5
    Set 5 - B x 5
    Notes - Very easy. I remember last year I couldn't do more than 3 pullups. The most i've done in one set recently is 12, struggling though. Think I need to use a belt with extra weight. I'll try 5kg (11lbs) next time.

Deadlift - Warmup 1 - 60kg x 6 reps
    Warmup 2 - 100kg x 5 reps
    Set 1 - 140kg x 5
    Set 2 - 140kg x 3
    Set 3 - 140kg x 4
    Notes - Hmm my overtraining became more apparent on the ol' deadlift. Difficult to maintain concentration to get all 5 reps out on the 2nd and last set, so played it safe and just did what felt right.

Tricep Overhead - Set 1 - 38kg x 10
    Set 2 - 38kg x 10
    Notes - Just a quick finisher on the tri's. No drama.

Gasman.

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    Nice workout and intense muay thai seesion! I know how you feel being completely drained froma previos days activities. Glad to see you pushed through it.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

Thursday 10th December:
    Training - Hill running, HIIT and boxing

Macros (C/P/F) - 38/33/29
    Calories In - 2,517
    Calories Out - 3,046
    Cal. Balance -529 Good

Went for a lunchtime walk with my work colleague who's trying shift some fat. Did a brisk 40 minutes in the cold.

After work I did 30 minutes HIIT and hill running outside with my neighbour who's trying to increase her sprint endurance. Went well we pushed quite hard. Then afterwards did a few minutes stretching out and a 3 minute circuit on the punchbag and pads. Job done.

Todays Food - Similar to previous days no problems.

Todays Workout

Moderate intensity walking - 40 minutes
    HIIT/Hill running - 30 minutes
    Stretching - 3 minutes
    Boxing circuit - 3 minutes

Gasman.

Hey Gasman, just found your journal so will tag along and watch with keen interest. I'm trying to shed some more fat too. I want abs!!! Looks like you've been workin' your little backside off in here!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    Hey Gasman, just found your journal so will tag along and watch with keen interest. I'm trying to shed some more fat too. I want abs!!! Looks like you've been workin' your little backside off in here!
    Excellent. Great to have you along, I've been reading some of your log and your journey so very. Very impressed. I especially like the bit on your intro where some women tells you to stop and you say it just made you want to go further. That's the kind of attitude I get on board with.

Quick Update:

Friday 11th December
    Weigh in 81kg (-2kg / -4.4lbs)

no change from last week - No worries here, this usually happens and then all of a sudden next week I will make a big drop. It's how my body seems to lose weight. Maybe something to do with sodium levels or water retention?

Additionally, I usually weigh in on empty stomach in my gym clothes. This time though was after breakfast in my work clothes. The real test will be next friday!

Weekend Report:
    Training - None (Walking only)

Cal. Balance +770 Acceptable

Had a busy weekend. Didn't intend to train as my legs were fried. Managed a decent 2 and a half hour walk in the countryside on saturday and about 7 hours walking round London on Sunday.

The calorie balance didn't turn out too bad for the entire weeekend, only about 770 over what i used. That will be easily corrected tonight.

This week is going to be a mega hard training and restricted intake, as I am taking a break from intense training until after xmas from Sunday. I am aiming to get down to 80kg (176lbs) by Friday and then also test my bodyfat - previous reading 18%. I will train intense, get lots of rest and not many calories and I should make it.

Can't wait to see the mega hard training this week :thumbsup:. And remember just because your weight is the same for a couple of weeks doesn't mean you aren't burning fat and building muscle!
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Monday 14th December:
    Training - Week 2 Day 1 5x5

Macros (C/P/F) - 43/34/23
    Calories In - 2,481
    Calories Out - 3,841
    Cal. Balance -1360 Maybe a bit too far.. eek

Well James, I said I was going for it this week and that's exactly what I'm going to do. A minimum 1000 calorie deficit is what I'm aiming for each day. I'm gonna be foo-bard by the weekend!

Train hard, be strong and don't let anything stand in your way!

Todays Food - Not enough !!

Todays Workout

Barbell Row:
    60kg x 10
    90kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    90kg x 5

Squats:
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 4 (nearly fainted on this one lol)
    140kg x 5

Bench Press:
    60kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5

Barbell Curl:
    25kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 6

Wrist Curl:
    25kg x 16
    25kg x 15
    25kg x 14

The weights took about 1 hour. In the meantime I was sipping on my Xtend. I headed upstairs to the cardio room and Ran 10km at 12.1 km/h on 1% incline and used just over 950 calories including a 3 minute cooldown. Then I did a couple of minutes stretching. Total time in gym - about 2 hours. I'm glad I'm only doing this for 1 week! Upping the BCAA intake to compensate.

Standby for the next installement.

Gasman.

Wannabebig Member
    Great Journal. Ill be following it to see how your cut goes. Great commitment on the meal plan thus far.

Squats, benches, and rows! Very nice man... I'm gonna be honest, when you posted your fitday entries on here and I saw Xtend on it, I thought it was a penis enlarger pill or something before I looked it up ... haha
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

ROFL@ James! You love it. No it's a low calorie BCAA, Glutamine drink with a bit o flavouring. Just keeps me going through my long sessions. If I was bulking I wouldn't bother with it, but I find BCAA intake aids muscle retention on a heavy cut. And the sweet taste quenches the old thirst a bit better than just plain water.

Tuesday 15th December:
    Training - Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) 90 minutes

Macros (C/P/F) - 36/29/35
    Calories In - 2,496
    Calories Out - 3,366
    Cal. Balance -870 Good

Todays session was good. Moderate intensity, lots of technique work. Felt better as I ate more carbs today.

Didn't quit hit my daily target of minus 1000 calories but this is ok as I'll have more energy for weights on Wednesday.

Todays Food - Nothing out of the ordinary.

Todays Workout

Thai Boxing - 90 Minutes (Moderate intensity)

Gasman.

Good stuff in here with the muay thai and workout sessions man.

I agree with Coke... Me and my dad just hung a heavy bag in the gym the other day, gonna start murdering that thing. lol
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

The carsb make a big difference for energy for work outs.

As soon as I started having a good pre workout meal (normall 3 weetabix, milk and 2 Nitreans) I felt much stronger in the gym!

Keep up the good work!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Cheers for the support everyone.

My advice from many years of martial arts and boxing - Buy some wrist wraps!! They cost next to nothing, dead easy to use and help keep your wrists and fists in the correct position. It only takes 1 bad punch at an angle to knacker your wrist for the next 3 months. Trust me, I know.

Dan, my pre-weights meal is usually just a banana, 1 scoop of pre workout drink and a caffiene pill. I'd usually eaten 3 hours before anyway, seems to work for me. If I was bulking I'd get in a big pre-workout meal, but my main concern on a cut is appetite control. Mmmm I do love weetabix though

Wednesday 16th December:
    Training - Week 2 Day 2 5x5

Macros (C/P/F) - 34/34/32
    Calories In - 2,519
    Calories Out - 3,625
    Cal. Balance -1106 Excellent

Maintaining the 1000 calorie a day deficit is getting to me. But I know it's only till Friday then I'll be neutral, then treat day on Saturday and Sunday which means up to 500 surplus each day. That's how I work it. Deficit 4-5 days a week, 1 neutral, 1 or 2 in surplus. Keeps me sane and losing fat at the same time which is often difficult to do.

Must train hard as I'm intending to have a full week off over xmas. I will still keep track of my calories on Fitday though so that I know how much work I'll need to do.

Todays Food - OK

Todays Workout

Military Press - Warmup 1 - 5kg x 15 reps
    Warmup 2 - 15kg x 10 reps
    Set 1 - 60kg x 5
    Set 2 - 60kg x 5
    Set 3 - 60kg x 5
    Set 4 - 60kg x 5
    Set 5 - 60kg x 5
    Notes - Looking to up this soon. 60kg is 132lbs.

Bodyweight Pullups -
    Set 1 - B x 5
    Set 2 - B x 5
    Set 3 - B x 5
    Set 4 - B x 5
    Set 5 - B x 5
    Notes - Will add a belt next time.

Deadlift - Warmup 1 - 60kg x 5 reps
    Warmup 2 - 100kg x 5 reps
    Set 1 - 140kg x 5
    Set 2 - 140kg x 4
    Set 3 - 140kg x 5
    Set 4 - 140kg x 3
    Notes - 140kg = 308lbs. 1 More set than last week, I'm annoyed though as it's proving difficult to progress here on a restricted diet. Deadlift is very very tiring without enough calories.

Tricep Overhead - Warmup - 28kg x 10
    Set 1 - 43kg x 8
    Set 2 - 43kg x 8
    Notes - Tri's are remaining strong since i did the 30lbs in 30 days bench program.

Gasman.

Strong millies deads, and yes they are a killer. Thanks for adding in the poundages at the end cause I normal have to convert it to see what you are lifting in pounds.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Thanks James. Yeah lol I will put lb's in as I know you guys n gals in the states love Ye Olde Imperial measurements In fact I prefer them just we moved over to Kg's except some reason all the dumbbells in my gym are in lb's the rest are kg's hmmm strange.

Thursday 17th December:
    Training - Couldn't train - Had to go out

Macros (C/P/F) - 34/27/39
    Calories In - 2,344
    Calories Out - 2,556
    Cal. Balance -212 Below Acceptable

Unfortunately I had to take care of some things after work and couldn't get to the gym But I did manage to stay just in negative calories. I got up early Friday morning for a double session to make up for it though.

Todays Food - OK

Todays Workout

El Zilcho....

**nudge, nudge...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    **nudge, nudge...
    Apologies to Dan and everyone. I did intend to not log over Xmas as little training and lots of partying doesn't make a very useful log. But then I got ill and was off work, just returned today so I'll be back in to the training tonight and logging again from next Monday.

I have had time to reevaluate, which as trainers we must constantly do and I've come up with the idea of increasing calories on weight lifting days so im actually in surplus on those days, increasing intensity and volume of those weight lifting days, and also training everyday. Everyday you say? Yes but some of those days will be light/recovery days not full out intensity.

Right here we go again!

Nice one, get on it! Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the new plan!