Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Cut - The Gasman's Journey to the single digits.

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar

The Final Cut - The Gasman's Journey to the single digits.

The Final Cut
    The Gasman's Journey to single digit bodyfat..

Once an endo always an endo? Well not quite. My phenotype is 1.65 endo/meso so I've still got a fighting chance.

Anyway, down to business.
    EXPERIENCE:
    Lifting/Bodybuilding - Just under 4 years.
    Martial Arts - 10 years +
    Distance running - 1 year.

Stats:
    Height - 6"0
    Weight - 183lbs
    Bodyfat - 18% approx

1RM's:

Bench - 90kg (198lbs)
    Deadlift - 170kg (374lbs)
    Squat - 150kg (330lbs)

Goals:
    - Cut down to 9.9% or lower bodyfat.
    - Maintain muscle mass.
    - Increase strength through efficent training.
    - Increase cardio fitness to finish a half marathon in 1:30 or under.
    - Enjoy the process and keep a log online!!

About me:
    I've been training in various disciplines for many years. Martial arts was always my main background until I discovered weights, which led me in to bodybuilding. I made the noob mistakes of too much isolation and too many bicep curls. Then I met an Australian ex champion Powerlifter at the gym who was an instructor. He showed me the ways of the Squat and deadlift and from then on I fell in love with the feeling of power, strength and the way of the bodybuilder.

But also I was lured in to distance running by work colleagues to raise money for charity. Now I've never been any good at running, so my aim was only to raise money for charity, do the races, enjoy them and JUST FINISH. Though being the competitive fellow I am, I put the work in, and beat them all by getting the best time. It also shifted a good few lbs of bodyfat off me.

Now is the time to take it further, I want the CUTS the DEFINITION the RIPPED LOOK! And I'm willing to do what it takes to get it ...

Log starts Monday 30th November. In the meantime check out the attachement photo's of me at my previous and current weight/fat levels. The first one is me at 100kg (220lb) and 24% bodyfat in Jan 09. The 2nd is me at 86kg(190lbs) and 19%, and the last one is the most recent with me at 83kg (183lbs) and 18% fat.

Enjoy the ride!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    You've definitely made progress since January. Congrats on the new journal and good luck!
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

Best of luck on your Journey, I'll be following along for sure!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Great progress so far and not a bad squat and deadlift. I'll be stopping in regularly!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Thanks for stopping by guys. This is my first log and I'm realising the extra motivation it gives you. I'll be posting the days progress at the end of each day.

I am currently on week 4 of the 'Increase your bench by 30lbs in 30 days' program. I know you're supposed to increase calories on it, but I've managed to cut with it as it fits in to my 3 days of lifting per week. After I finish, e.g. next week I'll be starting a 5x5 3 times a week.

- Weigh in will be every Friday morning.
    - Bodyfat and weigh in posted once per month, unless people think I should do this once a fortnight?
    - Will post new pics once per month at the same time as the bodyfat check.
    - I will post daily reports of the days workout, food intake with calorie balance and any other thoughts that might be interesting.
    - In the style of Jaberwocki I'll see if I can slam some videos online to spice things up a bit.

Any advice, comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

The Gasman.

Monday 30th November:
    Training - Week 4 day 1 of +30lb Bench Program

Macros (C/P/F) - 33/39/28
    Calories In - 2,397
    Calories Out - 2,808
    Cal. Balance -411 Good

Woke up earlier than normal for work, jumped right out of bed. Was a bit tired from the 15km run on Sunday but had 10 hours sleep so all good. Had breakfast, which is just enough to kick start my metabolism. Most people might think my breakfast is too small, but I've found a smaller breakfast and a larger post workout meal works best to manage my hunger. And most of the modern research is showing 3 vs 6 meals per day that neither has an advantage overall. It's as much about managing hunger and calorie balance than anything. If you disagree please feel free to post.

Had a quiet day at work, with some light activity - including walking 30 minutes. Went to the gym at 6.15pm and trained for 65 minutes as it was very busy so had to wait a little longer than normal between sets. Had to do squats first rather than bench, legs were sore from the run yesterday but still managed two good working sets of 5 x 308lbs (140kg). Bench press progress is going well, I heartily recommend the program and I think with excess calories rather than a cut it could be incredible!!

Todays Food - Please see attached Screenshot

Todays Workout

Squat - Warmup 1 - 20kg x 12 reps
    Warmup 2 - 60kg x 10 reps
    Warmup 3 - 100kg x 8 reps
    Set 1 - 140kg x 5 reps
    Set 2 - 140kg x 5 reps
    Notes - Legs a little shakey from yesterdays run. Lower back compensated for this.

Bench Press - Warmup 1 - 35kg x 10 reps
    - Warmup 2 - 55kg x 8 reps
    - Set 1 - 85kg x 3 reps
    - Set 2 - 85kg x 3 reps
    - Set 3 - 85kg x 5 reps
    Notes - I know the program says 3x3 today but I felt strong and went for 5 on the last set. Happy with this.

Skull Crushers - No Warmup
    - Set 1 - 43kg x 10
    - Set 2 - 43kg x 8
    Notes - Triceps weakened on the last couple of reps. Low calories is to blame. Or maybe the increased bench earlier.

Triceps Pushdown - No Warmup
    - Set 1 - 31.5kg x 10
    Notes - Triceps Tired, low weight for clean reps.

Lat Pulldown (Curl Grip) - Warmup 1 - 10 x 31.5kg
    - Set 1 - 10 x 76.5kg
    - Set 2 - 10 x 76.5kg
    Notes - I love this excercise Never did it before this plan.

Calf Raise - Warmup 1 - 15 x 110kg
    - Set 1 - 12 x 175kg
    - Set 2 - 12 x 183kg
    Notes - I know the plan says 2x10 but this just isn't enough for me...

Abs - 2 sets of 15 back to back.

Right that's all folks. Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has done/is doing the 30lb in 30 days bench program!

Check in again tomorrow for the next installment.

Gasman.

ooooooooooh look at you and your fancy formatting

Looks like a good workout and great work on the diet - macros look good too!!

Never thought of screengrabbing my fitday!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Cheers Dan. Yeah it was a lot quicker to capture what I'd consumed, I started doing it in Excel then got p***** off with it so thought I'd just screen grab.

But what it doesn't give is a breakdown of my meals throughout the day so I'll give you a breakdown of how my working week (Monday-Friday goes) with Monday's example:

Breakfast 8am
    1 Slice Wholewheat toast with
    Plant Sterol Spread and 1 Tablespoon PB
    1 Scoop whey with Water, BCAA and Glutamine
    1 English breakfast tea with semi-skim milk
    (C/P/F) - 25/40.6/19.0 - 439 calories

Snack 12pm
    1 Small apple
    20g of Roast Almonds
    1 Meal Replacement Shake
    (C/P/F) - 54.4/31.7/18.8 - 460 calories

Dinner 3.30pm
    1 Ham & Spinach sandwich on Wholewheat bread
    1 scoop whey with water, BCAA and Glutamine
    (C/P/F) - 48.5/32.5/18.5 - 514 calories

Preworkout 5pm
    1 Banana
    1 Scoop preworkout drink, BCAA and Beta Alanine
    (C/P/F) - 42/10.3/0.4 - 201 calories

- Workout 6.15pm - 7.20pm : 4 scoops Xtend (BCAA drink) 10g protein/ 40 cals approx.

PWO 7.20pm
    1 scoop whey with water, BCAA and Glutamine
    (C/P/F) - 4.9/31/3 - 190 calories

Tea 8pm
    Small Lean Sirloin Beef Steak, fat not eaten
    Some small mushrooms
    20 sprays of olive oil for frying (20cals)
    150g of baked potato wedges with pepper
    Spinach and tomato salad - no dressing
    (C/P/F) - 44.3/41.7/14.4 - 461 calories

then one scoop of propeptide before bed,
    115 cals, 3/22.5/1.5

Easy. Gosh that took me ages, my eating habits are identical to this in terms of how often, and the calorie values, though i might change out a protein shake for beef jerky or swap an apple for some blueberries or perhaps have chicken on my sandwiches instead of ham. But the times I eat, the value and macros remain constant.

Where I usually fall down is the weekend. I'm hoping to stay more consistent with help of this log.

I'm just gonna post my Fitday screen grab rather than spend 30 minutes writign out what I've eaten, just wanted to give everyone an indicaiton of my routine. Thanks for following along.

Damn I agree, nice formatting in here. I like the notes after each exercise. Makes my journal look like s*** haha. From looking at what you are eating you definately know what your doing with your diet.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Cheers for the commetns James. It's easier than I thought to log as I work in IT so I've got access to a PC most of the day.

I do think I have a bit too much liquid food, and I'm hungry a lot of time, but that's the sacrifice I've got to endure. This is why this process is so hard, not everyone can make it.

Your logs good mate, I'm just checking it out now! Keep up the good work.

Tuesday 1st December:
    Training - Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) 90 minutes

Macros (C/P/F) - 41/31/27
    Calories In - 2,369
    Calories Out - 3,500
    Cal. Balance -1131 !!YOWZA!!

Nothing much to report at work, except the car battery is dying had to get a friend to pick a new one up after work for me. Work was a bit boring, had to get out of my chair and go for a walk, it's the run up to Xmas too quiet for me. So by time I'd finished work I was itching for a good session. Was starting at a new club today but because of my experience I didn't want to have to go through all the beginner motions.

Wow, I nearly forgot how intense it can get. And that wasn't even a particularly intense class. In BB terms its a combination of HIT, HIIT, Steady state medium cardio, stretching, bag and pad work and lots of bodywork movements. Looking forward to getting into sparring and some competitions since I've slammed a fair bit o muscle on since my last fights. Loving it. Got in and had to get some sugar, so had a pint o milk with some choc mix powder, glutamine and a slice of wholewheat toast. Could have ate it twice though but I'll never get a six pack that way Just write this log then go play some COD: Mod 2

Todays Workout

Thai Boxing - 90 Minutes (Medium-high intensity)

Gasman.

Ive always loved the idea of trying some Muay Thai training. Never had the time and there's nowhere within 50 miles that teaches it. Looking at your food log makes me thankful that I am bulking. Just the sight of your log makes me hungry. lol. Solid job of sticking to the diet though
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

I have a friend that competes in thai boxing regularly, it requires a lot of dedication to train for competitions and to make the weight etc!

I know how you feel working in IT sometimes. I used to be part of a web team which was always pretty quiet around Christmas and I also found myself just randonly going for walks to keep concious

I think the key to knowing if you are eating enough to lose weight is when you get several hunger feelings per day and you feel you could eat each meal twice

Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    Ive always loved the idea of trying some Muay Thai training. Never had the time and there's nowhere within 50 miles that teaches it. Looking at your food log makes me thankful that I am bulking. Just the sight of your log makes me hungry. lol. Solid job of sticking to the diet though
    That's a shame, 50 miles is a little too far to travel for lessons. But if you do get an opportunity in the future I would say give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I have a friend that competes in thai boxing regularly, it requires a lot of dedication to train for competitions and to make the weight etc!

I know how you feel working in IT sometimes. I used to be part of a web team which was always pretty quiet around Christmas and I also found myself just randonly going for walks to keep concious

I think the key to knowing if you are eating enough to lose weight is when you get several hunger feelings per day and you feel you could eat each meal twice
    Where does he compete? I'm not back up to competition standard yet, but it won't take me long. I certainly have more muscle and fitness than i did last time i trained, with less bodyfat and weight and it's showing in the lessons.

The flipside of working in IT is I have a great opportunity to eat when I need to, and not be too tired out when I train in the evenings. The bad side is I'm not using a lot of energy.

Yes I usually have two hunger pangs, one after my small breakfast, and one just before I eat dinner. I take 100mg caffiene or have some black coffee before training so that gives me a boost and stops my appetite a bit until I get the PWO shake and then PWO meal. Gotta be done though! Though I am gonna factor in a pizza at some point mmmm, need a cheat meal by time it gets to Saturday!

Wednesday 2nd December:
    Training - Week 4 day 2 of +30lb Bench Program

Macros (C/P/F) - 31/36/33
    Calories In - 2,420
    Calories Out - 2,973
    Cal. Balance -553 Good

Today was the big one. Where I would be doing my 1 Rep max but not just 1 rep, but 3 sets of 3. And I f'ing nailed it!! GET IN!! Before starting the program my 1RM for bench was 90kg (198lbs), but today I did two good sets of 3 then a set of 3 with slight assistance on the last rep. Very happy.

I felt like I was on a roll so when I went on to the deadlifts I had decided to smash that 1RM as well... went for 170kg (374lbs). Got halfway up and had to drop it.. Fail.. Was a bit weak after that so dropped the weight and finished up. Good day overall though.

Todays Workout

Bench - Warmup 1 - 20kg x 10 reps
    Warmup 2 - 40kg x 5 reps
    Warmup 3 - 60kg x 4 reps
    Set 1 - !PR*90kg x 3 reps*PR!
    Set 2 - 90kg x 3 reps
    Set 3 - 90kg x 2.5 reps
    Notes - New PR. The magic 100kg (220lb) Bench is in sight !!

Deadlift - Warmup 1 - 20kg x 10 reps
    Warmup 2 - 60kg x 10 reps
    Warmup 3 - 100kg x 5 reps
    Set 1 - 140kg x 3 reps
    Set 2 - 170kg x 0.5 reps - FAIL
    Set 3 - 160kg x 2 reps
    Set 4 - 160kg x 2 reps
    Notes - Mmm maybe 200kg (440lbs) is a little ambitious for XMAS. Will try for 170kg again next week! One step at a time.

Tricep Pushdown - 1x10 36.5kg

Abs - 2 sets of 15 back to back.

Additional - My friend wants to lose a bit of fat so he suggested we add on some cardio at the end. We did 20 minutes medium intensity spinning and bloody hell it was hard work after those deadlifts. Ouch.

Gasman.

The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Good job on the bench PR. Screw spinning though lol...

Yep take it easy on the deadlifts. Smaller progression is better than screwing up your back by losing form on a weight that's too heavy.

Nice PR on the benches bro. You might as well make your goal 225lbs so you can have 2 big plates on each side haha. Strong deads too. Like Daniel said, don't risk a back injury by overdoing it. I did that about a year ago and was out for a while. Really sucked
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Thursday 3rd December:
    Training - 7km Run and 10 minutes Bag/Pad work

Macros (C/P/F) - 36/34/30
    Calories In - 2,435
    Calories Out - 3,171
    Cal. Balance -736 Good

- Running on treadmill at 12.5 km/h for 36 minutes - Approx 600 calories burned.

- 10 minutes intense work on Punchbag and hand pads.

Additional - Me and work colleague went for a 30 minute brisk walk at lunchtime today to speed the fat loss!

All in all a good day. Friday is the final day of the bench program, bring it on!

Gasman.

The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Friday 4th December:
    Training - FINAL DAY of +30lb Bench Program

Macros (C/P/F) - 33/23/24/20 (alcohol)
    Calories In - 3,168
    Calories Out - 3,038
    Cal. Balance +130 Poor

Weigh in - 81kg/179lbs (-2kg/4.4lbs)- Fantastic

Ok. I'm actually writing this at 11.45am on the day itself but I have done the final workout in the morning and have my food and beer planned out for the rest of the day so I'm prempting this entry today.

What can I say? Nice nice nice. The final day of the 30lb bench program and I loved it. My old 1 RM max was 90kg(198lb) and today I nailed 95kg(209lbs), a healthy 11lb increase. Remember I'm on a cut and the program says you should really be piling the calories in. Gasman is happy.

Oh and then there's the scale. No Bodyfat test, but definitely feel slimmer. Dropped nearly 5lbs, i'll come clean and say the last time I weighed myself was 2 weeks ago, so still 2.2lbs a week which is nice and healthy. Weigh in's will be every friday from now on!!

Tonight treat is 4 pints of ale (720 empty calories) and a small (9") takeaway pizza (1200calories). But I have factored these in and i will only be about 150 calories in excess today which is acceptable. After the hard effort but in this week I need a respite! Rest day tomorrow and then it begins again on Sunday. Next update will be then. Take it easy guys thanks for following along.

Todays Workout

Bench Press - Warmup 1 - 20kg x 15 reps
    - Warmup 2 - 40kg x 8 reps
    - Warmup 3 - 60kg x 6 reps
    - Set 1 - !PR*95kg x 1 reps*PR!
    - Set 2 - 90kg x 2 reps
    Notes - Oh thank goodness. A bench program that finally worked for me.. I'm so happy lol! Right I am gonna enjoy my beers tonight!

Skull Crushers - No Warmup
    - Set 1 - 43kg x 8
    - Set 2 - 43kg x 8
    Notes - Getting good at these now. Try to keep elbows in proper position and not flare out. I use the EZ bar as it works my hand position better, straight bar hurts my wrists.

Triceps Pushdown - No Warmup
    - Set 1 - 36.5kg x 8 (failed on 8).
    Notes - Triceps Tired and ended in failure.

Lat Pulldown (Curl Grip) - Warmup 1 - 10 x 31.5kg
    - Set 1 - 10 x 76.5kg
    - Set 2 - 10 x 76.5kg
    Notes - All good. I think I'll keep doing this excercise on my next plan.

Bicep Bar Curls - Set 1 - 40kg x 10
    - Set 2 - 40kg x 10

Notes - Sorry guys had to be a bicep whore and do a couple of cheeky sets.

Right that's that done. Now I need a new workout plan for my weight lifting. I was looking at 5x5 modifying it to do 3x5 for squats as my legs take constant hammer from Running and Thai boxing.

Any advice for a new weight training plan?
    Goals
    - Maintain muscle
    - Increase strength if possible
    - Cut bodyfat
    - Weight Train Monday/Wednesday/Friday only
    - Train for no more than 60 minutes per session for weights.
    - Allow legs to recover for other activities.
    - Running on Low Calories (deficit between 500-700 average).

I am open to any proven training schedule, or hearing from anyone who has a good suggestion.

Take it easy guys, train hard and enjoy your weekend!

Last edited by The Gasman UK; 12-04-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Great PR on those benches and a fine workout there! Enjoy your beer and pizza, you deserve it after the strict diet you've been following haha. I'm sure there are plenty of good 3-day splits out there. Search around and I'm sure you'll find something.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Weekend Report:
    Training - Saturday - REST / Sunday - 12.5km Run

Cal. Balance +1,100 Oh dear..

I guess I pushed myself too hard during the week as I partied out and will power disappeared Friday night. I budget 4 pints and small pizza, but ended up having 7 pints and a greasy kebab. Bloody good night though.

Saturday was a busy day driving all over the place, out again with some old friends, ate ok, but a bit bad as I was out and about. Not too bad on the calories though I used more restraint.

Sunday I've pulled it back by taking in only 2000 cals and running 12.5km in an hour. For the 3 days I was surplus 1100 calories total which is bad, but workable. I really enjoyed myself though so that's what counts, but now I'm motivated to be more strict next weekend. Going out isn't the problem, but using a bit more control is. Gonna push it hard this week. Real hard. My CNS will not know what's hit it.

Monday 8th December:
    Training - Week 1 Day 1 5x5

Macros (C/P/F) - 37/38/24
    Calories In - 1,959
    Calories Out - 2,940
    Cal. Balance -981 Excellent

Right after lots of research, lots of thinking over past experience and re-examination of my goals I put together a 3x5/5x5 training schedule which will still allow my low calorie intake and high intensity cardio.

Monday will be 3x5 so I'm ok for intense cardio (Thai Boxing on tuesday)
    Wednesday is proper 5x5 as so is Friday. I've modified the excercises to suit my goals but I will still be squatting twice per week. If this proves to be detremental to my other activities I may swap one squat workout for some other compound lift. The next 2 weeks up until Xmas will be a Test period to see what is working for me then, then I'll be ready for a good 12 week run of the program in the new year.

Mondays workout was Bench, Squat, Barbell Row, Barbell Curls and Wrist Curls. I did well considering my low calories today. Well that's what loading up on carby beer and pizza does to ya at the weekend - full glycogen stores !

Todays Workout

Bench - Warmup 1 - 20kg x 10 reps
    Warmup 2 - 40kg x 5 reps
    Warmup 3 - 60kg x 4 reps
    Set 1 - 70kg x 5
    Set 2 - 70kg x 5
    Set 3 - 70kg x 5
    Notes - No spotter Had to go light.

Squat - Warmup 1 - 20kg x 10 reps
    Warmup 2 - 60kg x 5 reps
    Warmup 3 - 100kg x 5 reps
    Set 1 - 130kg x 5 reps
    Set 2 - 130kg x 5 reps
    Set 3 - 130kg x 5 reps
    Notes - No problems, light weight to gauge the program at this stage.

Barbell Row - Warmup 1 - 60kg x 10 reps
    Set 1 - 70kg x 5 reps
    Set 2 - 80kg x 5 reps
    Set 3 - 90kg x 5 reps
    Notes - Must remember to go heavier next time.

Barbell Bicep Curl - Warmup 1 - 30kg x 10 reps
    Set 1 - 35kg x 8 reps
    Set 2 - 40kg x 8 reps
    Set 3 - 40kg x 6 reps
    Notes - I'm a curl Whore

Barbell Wrist Curl - Set 1 - 25kg x 18 reps
    Set 2 - 25kg x 16 reps
    Notes - This has worked wonders to build my grip strength and forearms.

Additional - I did 3 sets of 10 with 2 second squeezes on the Captain of Crush gripper level 1 (140lbs). If you struggle with grip, wrist or forearm strength I can't recommend these enough to you.

Gasman.

Nice numbers, particularly considering you are just testing the program right now.

Hey, where did you pick up your Captain of Crush gripper?

hmmm.... pizza and beer at the weekend. I should be so lucky!!

Well i have been training regularly its just a new way of organising the lifts. I love compounds.

http://www.pro-xsports.com/ for the grippers.

Yeah I went a little overboard that weekend, this weekend I am treating myself but gonna try to not to go to as much excess as I did, it's bloody hard work balancing it out afterwards.

ADDITIONAL EDIT - ..And I would recommend the 140lb'er, seems silly going lower. It was difficult at first but doing it 4 times a week I soon got there.
    Last edited by The Gasman UK; 12-08-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Nice job on the rows and squats man. I am looking to reconstruct my routine pretty soon as well. Not sure which direction I'm gonna go yet though. I am curious, what is the "midnight express" listed on your fitday log? Is that some sort of protein?
    6' 1.... 211lbs.