Thread: How the hell do good mornings not hit your back?

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.

How the hell do good mornings not hit your back?

I've never tried them, but of all the demos I see, I see how it can hit the glutes and hamstrings, but how on earth can they not hit your lower back at all?

Who said they don't?

I thought lower back was one of the primary movers.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I don't know anyone that does them for back, and exrx

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...odMorning.html

lists the spinal erectors as stabilizers and that's it....

PR blaster!
    well technically, they're also stabilizers in deadlifts, sldls, and squats, but that doesnt mean they aren't significantly worked. They dont have much of a ROM to begin with.
    Last edited by sysopt; 04-29-2002 at 01:21 PM.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

Probably because many people think back is just upper back and do lower back stuff (besides deads) with their AB's.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

good point

Extremely Disturbed
    Originally posted by sysopt
    well technically, they're also stabilizers in deadlifts, sldls, and squats, but that doesnt mean they aren't significantly worked. They dont have much of a ROM to begin with.
    This speaks volumes to my lower back.
    H

Wannabebig Member
    Good mornings are excellent for lower back, and can help your deadlift move on. Louie simmons and co use them a lot.

Wannabebig Member
    By the way hello everyone, I'm new here.

Hi Huck.

yeah, I've never really done them before, trying to decide where to add them to my routine. What you guys think? back or leg day?

Wannabebig Member
    If your going to use them I'd say train them with back, take a few workouts to get used to the movement though, they can be a bit risky.

Extremely Disturbed
    While I've occasionally done them in the past, nowadays I think your lower back is given a good beating just with bb bent-over rows/deads on back day, and squats/sldls on leg day (which also overlaps for beating up the glutes n'hams. Throw in some lunges and good mornings become obsolete. Plus you really ought not to go anywhere near failure with good mornings if you train alone IMHO).
    H

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I have done rep maxes of goodmornings training alone. Use a power rack and set the pins correctly and you'll be fine. Just use good form.

I would do goodmornings with lower body work.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by Accipiter
    Hi Huck.

yeah, I've never really done them before, trying to decide where to add them to my routine. What you guys think? back or leg day?
    I find that they are a similar movement to SLDLs so I would do them on leg days (probably after squats). However, they are a bit more dangerous than SLDLs because you can't keep the weight close to your legs and can cause problems easier if you bend your back improperly (this may actually be the reason it seems to hit your lower back more though, for better or worse).

goodmornings are ace!
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

I can't tell from the demo's, but how should your back be through the motion? slightly arched towards the floor?