Thread: Question about GOMAD (Gallon of milk a day)

Question about GOMAD (Gallon of milk a day)

I know there's has been lots of thread about this but I'm not sure if the questions been asked

I'm planning to start the GOMAD diet very soon...probably in the next week or something. I have enough money to do it for about a month. It's a personal goal i have set for myself, to be 80-85kgs for my height (between 181-183cm). I just really want to lose the skinny look. I look so much bigger in the gym when I'm pumped up and shizz but outside, it's not really noticable.

So my question is: will i have to eat the ammount of calories i was getting from the milk once i stop with it to maintain the weight i reach?

My parents moan alot as it is about so much food, saying they cant afford it..

I'm going to try my best to continue drinking 2litres everyday when i go back to school around January 13th...I just don't want to lose all that weight once i've gained it, and i don't have enough money to buy for longer than a month so if i have to eat that much i'll have to find some way to make money during school.
    18 years old and bulking

Calories are calories...when you stop drinking the milk, you'll have to replace those calories with something else.

Food, equipment, gym memberships, supplements...it get's expensive and not everybody can afford to do it. Just do the best you can.

Prioritize your goals and fit it into your budget. If getting bigger is your goal, then food will have to be the priority. Food and lifting big weights. If that means you have to give up the gym membership and scrounge some garage sales for used equipment, then that's what you have to do. Just find a way to do it.
    Last edited by Off Road; 12-02-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

thanks for the reply man

my gym membership is dammn cheap as it is, about $20 a year lol (150 rand one off payment) I'm just going to try my best to make money while i'm in school, i'm sure i'll find a way.
    18 years old and bulking

Quote Originally Posted by jcwhackflava View Post
    So my question is: will i have to eat the ammount of calories i was getting from the milk once i stop with it to maintain the weight i reach?
    Your maintenance calories will depend on your metabolism, activity level, bodyweight, and body composition. There are plenty of calculators out there to determine your maintenance calorie level.

A simple answer to your question would be that you most likely will not have to eat the exact same that you were in order to gain weight. In the past I have eaten 4000-5000+ calories in order to gain weight, but can currently maintain 220 lbs bodyweight on about 3000 calories. Of course I need more than that to enable recovery during periods of intense training.

Remember, eating 500 calories over maintenance level will yield 1lb/wk in weight gain but an extra 1lb in bodyweight will not raise your metabolism by 500 calories a day so you could hypothetically maintain you new weight with just a bit more than you were eating before.

The main thing with dieting is to stay consistent.

In terms of being on a budget, just work with what you can. Shop around for deals; ask gym owners if they can give you a break on memberships, etc.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcwhackflava View Post
    thanks for the reply man

my gym membership is dammn cheap as it is, about $20 a year lol (150 rand one off payment) I'm just going to try my best to make money while i'm in school, i'm sure i'll find a way.
    Great attitude!

My answer to your question is no. With the Gomad diet you are eating higher than your maintenance level. You are adding a gallon of milk per day to what you currently eat.

The result will be that your weight will go up. At the end, you may find you have gained 3/4 of that weight as muscle and 1/4 as fat.

You will then eat at maintenance or a little less to lose the fat. End result: You will need more calories to maintain your new weight but that should be less than the gallon of milk per day.
    Last edited by DMedley; 12-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    You will then eat at maintenance or a little less to lose the fat. End result: You will need more calories to maintain your new weight but that should be less than the gallon of milk per day.
    You can relax a little because you shouldn't have to buy quite as much food once you've hit your goal weight.

And go easy on your parents yeah? I only say this because when I was in my teens I was pretty ungrateful to my parents and their help by constantly complaining I needed more food! They work hard to look after you. It took me a while to realise this. If you can get a part-time job or something that would help. If nothing else, do chores for your parents and stay on good terms with them, it'll show you're grateful for the extra food they're getting you, and show you're serious about your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    And go easy on your parents yeah? I only say this because when I was in my teens I was pretty ungrateful to my parents and their help by constantly complaining I needed more food! They work hard to look after you. It took me a while to realise this. If you can get a part-time job or something that would help. If nothing else, do chores for your parents and stay on good terms with them, it'll show you're grateful for the extra food they're getting you, and show you're serious about your efforts.
    This is great advice.

My parents were always very supportive of my weight training buying me supplements, gym memberships, and even driving me to the gym on a daily basis. I was not always grateful and looking back I wish that I was more appreciative.

Weight training is a journey, not a race. If you can gain 1 lb per month for the next 5 years that would be 60 lbs. Don't worry about current circumstances and just work with what you can; make sacrifices when needed and make sure to be thankful for what you do have.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com