Thread: Need help with my diet plan :)

Wannabebig Member

Need help with my diet plan :)

Hey guys im new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out with my diet.

I am about 5"10 and fluctuate from about 180-185lbs.

Ive gained around 25-30lbs in the last two years and am now trying to slim down. In the past I worked out but not consistently and ate whatever I wanted.

Im trying a low cal diet.. I mostly eat sandwiches throughout the day (35 cal bread slices and 20 cal pieces or lunch meat with mustard). The sandwiches are about 90-100 calories. For dinner ill eat baked chicken breast with rice and usually a vegetable. I only eat maybe 2 to 4 sandwiches throughout the day. So im estimating my calorie intake is only around 1000-1200 calories. Also I mix things up a little EX. Egg white sandwiches, Fat free Cottage cheese, and other low cal foods.

I do not want my body to think its starving so I try to eat a sandwich every couple hours or so. If I do lose this weight will I just gain it back after dieting? Also if I am not taking in a healthy amount of calories do you think Protein shakes within the day would help with calorie intake and my workout? I started this diet I started weightlifting again about 4-5 times a week.

I take a multivitamin and my brother told me to start taking fish oils. I want to start taking protein if its beneficial as far as burning fat and retaining mass. Also if I do take protein should I use it as meal replacement or before/afterworkouts or both?

Any suggestions/criticism would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!
    Last edited by shk101; 12-03-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    your probably eating way to many carbs with all the bread. You should track your macros with www.fitday.com and see where your at. Hopefully your at least eating whole wheat bread? Are you lifting weights? What are your long term goals? You can get more protein out of tuna fish on a sandwich then lunch meat which is generally full of fillers...

I mostly eat sandwiches throughout the day (35 cal bread slices and 20 cal pieces or lunch meat with mustard). The sandwiches are about 90-100 calories. For dinner ill eat baked chicken breast with rice and usually a vegetable. I only eat maybe 2 to 4 sandwiches throughout the day.
    This sounds deficient in many respects. Is it really all that you eat?

If I do lose this weight will I just gain it back after dieting?
    Only if you allow it to happen.
    Last edited by tom183; 12-03-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    "your probably eating way to many carbs with all the bread. You should track your macros with and see where your at. Hopefully your at least eating whole wheat bread? Are you lifting weights? What are your long term goals? You can get more protein out of tuna fish on a sandwich then lunch meat which is generally full of fillers..."

I do eat whole wheat but I I also eat different kinds for a different taste but they are both 35 cals a slice. I do lift weights. My short term goal is to shed about 15-20lbs and long term goal is to put on some lean mass. I enjoy tuna but isnt it only recommended a few times a week? I remember reading up on a study they did with a student changed her diet up and ate a lot of tuna. Tuna being a large fish contains a pretty high amount of mercury lead to problems such as memory loss. Im not saying I wouldnt eat it but 2-3x a week would be ok right?

"This sounds deficient in many respects. Is it really all that you eat?"

Well for the most part but Ive only been doing it for about a week now.

But to be more specific with the sandwiches I sometimes add veggies (lettuce,sliced pickles, jalepenos, etc), add pickles as a side, fat free cottage cheese.. boiled eggs without the yolk. dinner can be chicken breast, tilapia both in which I bake.

I mean it very well could be deficient that why I need suggestions in order to properly and safely lose weight lol Would it be deficient as far as calories or nutrition or both?
    Last edited by shk101; 12-03-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shk101 View Post
    hey guys im new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out with my diet.

I am about 5"10 and fluctuate from about 180-185lbs.

Ive gained around 25-30lbs in the last two years and am now trying to slim down. In the past i worked out but not consistently and ate whatever i wanted.

Im trying a low cal diet.. I mostly eat sandwiches throughout the day (35 cal bread slices and 20 cal pieces or lunch meat with mustard). The sandwiches are about 90-100 calories. For dinner ill eat baked chicken breast with rice and usually a vegetable. I only eat maybe 2 to 4 sandwiches throughout the day. So im estimating my calorie intake is only around 1000-1200 calories. Also i mix things up a little ex. Egg white sandwiches, fat free cottage cheese, and other low cal foods.

I do not want my body to think its starving so i try to eat a sandwich every couple hours or so. If i do lose this weight will i just gain it back after dieting? Also if i am not taking in a healthy amount of calories do you think protein shakes within the day would help with calorie intake and my workout? I started this diet i started weightlifting again about 4-5 times a week.

I take a multivitamin and my brother told me to start taking fish oils. I want to start taking protein if its beneficial as far as burning fat and retaining mass. Also if i do take protein should i use it as meal replacement or before/afterworkouts or both?

Any suggestions/criticism would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

first of off you probably are eating to may carbs, you can still eat every 3 hours or so an it still can be simple such as
    1= egggs / egg whites (complex carb) oatmeal
    2 tuna, chicken breast nat. Pb, protein shake, (complex carb)whole wheat bread,fruit

3 chicken,steak, fish,(complex carb) rice sweet pot, red pot, green veg
    4 shake nat. Pb, tuna, with(complex carb) oatmeal, whole wheat bread
    5 same as 3
    6 bed time cottage cheese nat pb (protein), then complex carb

there are many food that can be simple to make, and easy to buy, but i would stay away from all the sandwiches. Yes a good protein(nitrean atlarge nutrition)and complex carb after workout (oatmeal) is good creatine would as help, the muti and fish oil you take is perfect.. Check out or supplement atlarge nutrion they are really good. Hope this get you started. Let me know if you need more help
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David Trantham View Post
    first of off you probably are eating to may carbs, you can still eat every 3 hours or so an it still can be simple such as
    1= egggs / egg whites (complex carb) oatmeal
    2 tuna, chicken breast nat. Pb, protein shake, (complex carb)whole wheat bread,fruit

3 chicken,steak, fish,(complex carb) rice sweet pot, red pot, green veg
    4 shake nat. Pb, tuna, with(complex carb) oatmeal, whole wheat bread
    5 same as 3
    6 bed time cottage cheese nat pb (protein), then complex carb

there are many food that can be simple to make, and easy to buy, but i would stay away from all the sandwiches. Yes a good protein(nitrean atlarge nutrition)and complex carb after workout (oatmeal) is good creatine would as help, the muti and fish oil you take is perfect.. Check out or supplement atlarge nutrion they are really good. Hope this get you started. Let me know if you need more help
    Doesnt sound to bad at all... but estimating it in my head wouldnt this amount to quite a few calories?

you will just have to adjust this example diet plan to your calorie needs, where you are cutting or bulking or just wanting to stay about the same, the best way is record your calories, fat , protein, carbs on a daily basis for about 2 weeks than adjust your calories according, try to keep your protein about 1 to 1.5 grams per body weight. keep your fat moderate (remember that there are 9 cal. per gram for fat and 4 cal per gram for protein and carbs) good example for me any way is about 45% protein 35% carbs and about 20% fats, these are % for total calories
    2009 contests

You'll get better assistance if you post your macros. If you don't know what macros are, start reading the stickies at the top of the forum.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

[QUOTE=shk101;2253140]"your probably eating way to many carbs with all the bread. You should track your macros with and see where your at. Hopefully your at least eating whole wheat bread? Are you lifting weights? What are your long term goals? You can get more protein out of tuna fish on a sandwich then lunch meat which is generally full of fillers..."

I do eat whole wheat but I I also eat different kinds for a different taste but they are both 35 cals a slice. I do lift weights. My short term goal is to shed about 15-20lbs and long term goal is to put on some lean mass. I enjoy tuna but isnt it only recommended a few times a week? I remember reading up on a study they did with a student changed her diet up and ate a lot of tuna. Tuna being a large fish contains a pretty high amount of mercury lead to problems such as memory loss. Im not saying I wouldnt eat it but 2-3x a week would be ok right?

Moderation is the key to almost all foods,but Tuna is not unhealthy! There have been many studies to prove there are no harmful side effects.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

[QUOTE=skinny99;2253705]
    Quote Originally Posted by shk101 View Post
    "your probably eating way to many carbs with all the bread. You should track your macros with and see where your at. Hopefully your at least eating whole wheat bread? Are you lifting weights? What are your long term goals? You can get more protein out of tuna fish on a sandwich then lunch meat which is generally full of fillers..."

Moderation is the key to almost all foods,but Tuna is not unhealthy! There have been many studies to prove there are no harmful side effects.

MODERATION PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA, BUT MYSELF I HAVE ATE TUNA 3 OR 4 TIMES A DAY FOR YEARS, (AT LEAST 3 OR 4 YEARS), I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TO GET TESTED FOR MERCURY POISIONING AND HE LAUGHED, BUT ANYWAY I WAS TESTED AND IT ALL CAME BACK NEG. I THINK TUNA IS A GOOD CHEAP, EASY PROTEIN SOURCE, ITS A COMPLETE PROTEIN THAT HAS GOOD HEATHLY FATS OMEGA 3 ETC, I STILL WOULD RECOMMEND IT
    2009 contests