The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Bench: Elbow Problems

I've been having some issues with my bench recently. The main one is that when I try to tuck my elbows, they end up going forward, putting my arms in an extension-esque position.
    Does anyone know of any cues to remedy this?
    I'm a raw bencher, and I never go for a huge tuck - pretty moderate. I tried touching a little higher today, but the problem persisted.

My other issue is that I can't seem to lock out my elbows at the same time. My left always lags behind, even on light warm-up sets.
    The only way I can get them close together is by only focusing on pressing with my left arm. It sounds pretty strange, and...is. I have a meet coming up in February, and I'm nervous about not being able to get a bench in at all.
    My left elbow has hurt for the past two to four weeks (who keeps track of these things?), but it doesn't feel like anything worse than tendinosis/tendinitis.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For the tendonitis, Ice will do the trick. Extra fish oil will help as well.

Other than that just work on verbal cues. You'll have to get used to tucking and keeping your forearms and wrists straight. Once you figure it out it will be no big deal.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by brdclck View Post
    I've been having some issues with my bench recently. The main one is that when I try to tuck my elbows, they end up going forward, putting my arms in an extension-esque position.
    Does anyone know of any cues to remedy this?
    I'm a raw bencher, and I never go for a huge tuck - pretty moderate. I tried touching a little higher today, but the problem persisted.

My other issue is that I can't seem to lock out my elbows at the same time. My left always lags behind, even on light warm-up sets.
    The only way I can get them close together is by only focusing on pressing with my left arm. It sounds pretty strange, and...is. I have a meet coming up in February, and I'm nervous about not being able to get a bench in at all.
    My left elbow has hurt for the past two to four weeks (who keeps track of these things?), but it doesn't feel like anything worse than tendinosis/tendinitis.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Where are you trying to touch the bar on your chest?

Are you right or left handed? Do you do the uneven press when you use heavy dumbells?
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

ITs hard to tuck with a high touch, Nothing you can really do about it but try to go a hair lower and check your wrist. they may be in no mans land over your forearms and causing the problem. Are you wearing wraps?

As for the elbows do some dumbell hex holds 2 times a week with 20lb for 25 seconds(or what ever you can do in that range). This eliminates that elbow pain. Im not exactly sure how but it does work.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Where are you trying to touch the bar on your chest?

Are you right or left handed? Do you do the uneven press when you use heavy dumbells?
    I usually try to touch my sternum. I'm very short and have a short torso with comparatively long arms, but touching much lower tends to feel excessive.

I haven't DB pressed in a while, but my left arm has always been weaker than my right. However, I only started pressing lopsided fairly recently.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    ITs hard to tuck with a high touch, Nothing you can really do about it but try to go a hair lower and check your wrist. they may be in no mans land over your forearms and causing the problem. Are you wearing wraps?

As for the elbows do some dumbell hex holds 2 times a week with 20lb for 25 seconds(or what ever you can do in that range). This eliminates that elbow pain. Im not exactly sure how but it does work.
    It's a constant struggle for me trying to keep my wrists from cocking back. I am getting much better at it, though. I haven't been wearing wraps as I usually train at moderate percentages, but I don't hesitate to throw some on when the wrists start to ache.

That's interesting about the hex dumbbells. My gym only has one pair of 80 lb. hex DB's, but I'll look for some lighter ones on Craigslist. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. I would do your self a favor though and wear wraps more often. Not wearing them will do more harm on your bench stroke then it can for any positive effect for your wrists.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS