Thread: I think I hurt my back

I think I hurt my back

I did not hurt my back with a heavy squat or deadlift... I wasn't doing anything heavy really. I hurt my back doing dips when my body twisted a little bit. It hurt quite a bit at the time but now it feels like nothing. The pain was sharp, that's all I remember. The only thing is that my back cracks a lot more often now. My gf told me that it looks like my spine doesn't go straight up from my butt to my neck but rather very very lightly veers to the left and back to the right. She said she wouldn't have noticed it unless I told her I hurt my back the other day. Has anyone ever experienced this? I skipped my deadlift workout and I'm making an appointment with a chiropracter.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Has anyone ever experienced this? I skipped my deadlift workout and I'm making an appointment with a chiropracter.
    Not as described, but I have had it happen putting on my socks. The damage can be done before and then shows up when. Good choice on skipping the deadlift workout and making the appointment.

Whatever you may have done did not cause curvature of your spine.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

BF,
    Get it checked bro, ASAP... Dont risk further injury and get sidelined longer than you have to!

Sounds like you pulled a muscle. It happened to be all the time before I started stretching before and after workouts. Even if I was just sitting it would tweak. I doubt your spine is curved because of it. It's probably always been like that subtly. Definitely don't workout your back until you see a doctor or you have no pain.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

I've been seeing a chiropractor regularly for the last 3 years. Unless you see a good chiro on a regular basis, your spine curves in some manner just due to stress. Some people's are worse than others. It's called subluxations of the vertebrae. Not only does it curve left and right, it also loses curve forward and back. As this happens, discs get thinner and nerves get very slightly pinched and the energy flowing to that area of your body is weakened. Over time, this causes pain and malfunction of the part of your body those nerves are feeding. As a powerlifter, seeing a chiro is a pretty good idea as the heavy weights and exertion can easily move your spine out of alignment. This can change everything from your strength output and the path you are moving the bar in, to how well you are recovering and how compromised your frame is just before a serious injury.

A good chiro will want to take x-rays of your spine and discuss it with you before they even lay a hand on you. They may also take EMG (I think that's what it's called) readings of your back and other tests. It's also a good idea to have them look at your elbows, wrists, knees and ankles as well. Same situation as your back here if those joints are out of alignment.

Unfortunately, if you don't see a chiro regularly, your spine and joints will go back to where they want to be according to your lifestyle. Not much you can do. It's really just preventative care for you if you do it regularly. In most cases for people it is just temporary relief from pain when things get real bad because they do not want to spend the money or time to go as often as necessary...and I don't blame them.

Hope that helps you out, bro.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Thanks guys!
    And your probably right, I may have always had a slight curvature. From what I know everyone has a little curvature one way or another.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

I injured my back doing my warm up DL's...My 8yr old was watching me and said, "It look's like you're laying an egg." As I turned my head to him to ask him to be quiet...something went horribly wrong in my lower back..sharp pain..almost paralyzing...I wasn't very mobile for about 3 days..Doctor said I had muscle spasms(he also mentioned inflammation of sciatic nerve)..gave me lots of Rx's..

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    I've been seeing a chiropractor regularly for the last 3 years. Unless you see a good chiro on a regular basis, your spine curves in some manner just due to stress. Some people's are worse than others. It's called subluxations of the vertebrae. Not only does it curve left and right, it also loses curve forward and back. As this happens, discs get thinner and nerves get very slightly pinched and the energy flowing to that area of your body is weakened. Over time, this causes pain and malfunction of the part of your body those nerves are feeding. As a powerlifter, seeing a chiro is a pretty good idea as the heavy weights and exertion can easily move your spine out of alignment. This can change everything from your strength output and the path you are moving the bar in, to how well you are recovering and how compromised your frame is just before a serious injury.

A good chiro will want to take x-rays of your spine and discuss it with you before they even lay a hand on you. They may also take EMG (I think that's what it's called) readings of your back and other tests. It's also a good idea to have them look at your elbows, wrists, knees and ankles as well. Same situation as your back here if those joints are out of alignment.
    Would you recommend seeing a chiro even for those that don't have problems? Is it worth the money?
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Would you recommend seeing a chiro even for those that don't have problems? Is it worth the money?
    I think it is very much an individual decision. I think a lot of chiropractors out there would say "oh yes, you definitely should get regular adjustments." But like I said, most people just go for relief of pain. A lot of people are out-of-site-out-of-mind people. If they don't feel any pain or problems, then everything must be fine right? The truth is that it is expensive. Going regularly is both corrective and preventative and worth it if you can avoid injuries, perform better and prolong the health of your back and body into old age.

From a personal experience, my back was in some pain constantly and pretty swayed to the right. Hips were crooked, head was crooked and pretty far forward plus my posture was terrible. After about 12 months of regular adjustments, things were nicely aligned and holding (the way most people think their skeleton looks). I know my immune system works better than it used to and I do not get sick like I used to. I also recover from injuries pretty damn quick with the aid of adjustments, but my chiro also does Active Release for stuff I mess up as well.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I noticed last night doing some squatting that the bar naturally sitting on my shoulders is crooked and so are my shoulders. So I have an appt to go after work today.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Wannabebig Member
    I am biased b/c I am a chiropractor, but agree with everything said so far. as far as the dips creating the curvature in your spine; if the curve wasn't there to start with, then it is just a muscular reaction (spasm) to whatever happened to your spine and is creating the curvature. I treat many athletes and although most just come on an as need basis, some are proactive and come in on a regular basis. As a chiropractor, I myself get regular adjustments approximately once every couple of weeks or as I need it. If your spine isn't moving adequately, I do believe that your lifts will suffer and excess stress from the muscles from their connections at the spine, will also cause excess stress on the extremity joints. So, good idea getting it looked at.
    aaron
    The only good thing about my pain is that is reassures me that I'm still alive.
    Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. I just hope this doesn't kill me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drmobley View Post
    I am biased b/c I am a chiropractor, but agree with everything said so far. as far as the dips creating the curvature in your spine; if the curve wasn't there to start with, then it is just a muscular reaction (spasm) to whatever happened to your spine and is creating the curvature. I treat many athletes and although most just come on an as need basis, some are proactive and come in on a regular basis. As a chiropractor, I myself get regular adjustments approximately once every couple of weeks or as I need it. If your spine isn't moving adequately, I do believe that your lifts will suffer and excess stress from the muscles from their connections at the spine, will also cause excess stress on the extremity joints. So, good idea getting it looked at.
    aaron
    hahaha my chiropractor tells me not to do Dead lifts. I am gonna have him lecture you about the dangers of it with your 455 pound DL and he told me not to DL any weight at all. So I just smiled and said ok doc I won't

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post

Unfortunately, if you don't see a chiro regularly, your spine and joints will go back to where they want to be according to your lifestyle. Not much you can do. It's really just preventative care for you if you do it regularly. In most cases for people it is just temporary relief from pain when things get real bad because they do not want to spend the money or time to go as often as necessary...and I don't blame them.

Hope that helps you out, bro.
    Subluxations and energy flows are pseudoscience. Chiropractic is based on pseudoscientific principles. Look it up on Wikipedia or Google or some **** if you don't believe me. You are giving your money to a con man. I'm not hatin' I'm just looking out for ya bro.

Some links to check:

http://www.chirobase.org/01General/chirosub.html

http://www.squidoo.com/chiroquack
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-05-2009 at 09:19 PM.