Thread: Front Squat and Power Clean Rack Technique Issues

Front Squat and Power Clean Rack Technique Issues

It seems I have a problem getting correct front squat/power clean rack position. When trying to get my elbows high, my wrists and forearms hurt pretty bad. Widening my grip helps slightly, but it seems to affect my overall technique negatively.

I am guessing the problem is two fold... lack of flexibility and long forearms.

Does anyone have any recommend ideas or solutions to help increase flexibility, technique and position?
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I used to have the same problem. It went away over time though, just by constantly doing power cleans and front squats often. I was given the advice to stretch a lot, but I never really did that. I just simply adapted to the exercises by doing them a lot. For front squats, one thing I do is only have 3 fingers on the bar, and have my pinkies hanging off. I'm not sure if I catch my power cleans that way or not though. I never really paid attention.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Besides Bri's answer make sure you are upright and tight with correct posture.
    Sarvamangalam!

I have the same problem, it's not flexibility, it's that my biceps are so huge.....

Any way, my arms just do not bend far enough, try to force them and they'd break. I do Zercher squats with a slightly modified hold and they work well for me.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I agree with the pinkies off. Just doing that lets you get into a much less painful rack position.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Make sure that you are rolling the bar back onto your hands, if you watch my right hand on the second set in this video you can see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwJfgYjaCA

Here is another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyNX0NQx1Jc

As you can see I use a thumbless and fairly wide grip. It is not uncommon for a finger or two to pop off if I am doing a higher rep set.

Front squats are one of those movements that is awkward at first but gets more comfortable with repetition.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Hey Tom...That's impressive...I thought I was the only guy using wood clamps for bar collars
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I broke my left wrist when I was 16 and it's never really recovered. I am disposed to tendinitis in it and anything that bends the wrist back hurts. I do a reasonable amount of stretching but that doesn't entirely fix it. I rarely do front squats and power cleans but when I do I usually grip with just two fingers and that makes a big difference. It should still be fairly stable.

One thing which I picked up from yoga is a way of releasing tension from the wrist and hand. You may or may not find it useful. Squeeze your hand into a ball as tight as you can so the knuckles go white and hold for five seconds, then spread all the fingers as wide as possible and hold for five seconds. Do this a couple of times, then let your hands go completely loose and shake them off as if you're flicking water from them. By tensing and releasing them a few times the muscles should relax a little bit.