The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Strongman Training & The Bench Press

Is this exercise really necessary for strongman training ? Are should you save the shoulders ,and just go all out on your OH Press/ Power Clean & Press ?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You will get alot of mixed opinions. Ive mixed with alot Oly lifters and strongmen who do alot of Oly work and they all tend to stay away from bench to save the shoulders. A guy who started strongman from powerlifting may view it differently. It certinaly can't hurt to bench moderately heavy aver once in a while...
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishPowerczyk View Post
    Is this exercise really necessary for strongman training ? Are should you save the shoulders ,and just go all out on your OH Press/ Power Clean & Press ?
    I would not dedicate much time to bench press; there is very little direct carryover to any of the strongman events and shoulder/pec injuries are quite common with heavy bench training.

Incline Press, Close Grip, and Push Press are all good alternatives.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member

Bench press and strongman training.

I have heard incline benches are great for strongman, but it is a movement I cannot do without tearing out my shoulder. It has happened before and my body hates that angle with any weight. I use the flat bench press as a substitute for inclines and because I started in powerlifting and I can't make the psychological separation from the bench too easily. I do 3 sets of 5 per week of the bench and use the west side method for my big three. Does anybody have any ideas for my bench dilemma?
    Last edited by splat1250; 07-17-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by splat1250 View Post
    I have heard incline benches are great for strongman, but it is a movement I cannot do without tearing out my shoulder. It has happened before and my body hates that angle with any weight. I use the flat bench press as a substitute for inclines and because I started in powerlifting and I can't make the psychological separation from the bench too easily. I do 3 sets of 5 per week of the bench and use the west side method for my big three. Does anybody have any ideas for my bench dilemma?
    Have you tried incline dumbbell pressing? If benching hurts your shoulder then I would just stop benching; you can do strict overhead work, isolation work for triceps/shoulders, and push press / push jerk.

If you are stuck on benching then I would do close grip bench since triceps strength is helpful for overhead assuming that you have good technique / leg drive.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com