The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Newbie - Pic and routine included

Hi, I am pretty new to bodybuildling. I started lifting seriously about 3 months ago. I've been reading through all the mags and sites and have been gathering information to use for my training and nutrition etc. So please feel free to comment on my pic or on the training.

I am 5'10, 188 lbs. ? bf%
    I am 19 years old.

Here is my pic and routine: This is just an upper body shot, i don't have a camera so i had to take it at my friends house. But I will post a leg shot the next chance i get.

Routine:

Sunday: Off

Monday: Legs
    Squats 50 +bar (1 warm up set) 95 + bar (4 sets of 12) 3-5 MRI
    Stiff-Legged deadlifts 200 + bar (3 sets of 5,6,5) 2-3 MRI
    One leg Calf Raises + 60 lbs (2 sets to failure) 2 leg calf raises (1 set to failure)
    Rotator Cuff (1 exercise)2 sets of 10 (lateral elevation with 15lbs)
    Abs

Tuesday: Chest and Biceps and forearms
    Incline Dumbell Press 50 + bar (3 sets of 17) 1 MRI
    Flat Dumbell Press 55 + bar (3 sets of 15) 1-1.5 MRI
    Dumbell Flys 35 + bar (2 sets of 15) 1 MRI
    Push-Ups 3 sets of 30,30,22
    Standing Barbell Curls narrow grip 70 + bar (3 sets of 7,7,7) 1-2 MRI
    Standing Dumbell Curls 35 + bar (2 sets of 8)
    Hammer Curls 35 + bar (2 sets of 10)
    Static Holds (2 sets of maximum time) 210 lbs (20-22 seconds) Or Reverse Curls with 25 lbs (2 sets of 10)
    Wrist Extensions (1 set to failure) 40 lbs + bar
    One leg Calf Raises + 60 lbs (2 sets to failure) 2 leg calf raises (1 set to failure)
    Abs - Crunches 3 sets of 30

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Back
    Bent-Over barbell rows 150 + bar (3 sets of 10,10,10) 1 MRI Drop Set Reverse grip 100+bar (1 set of 30)
    Deadlifts - 230 + bar (3 sets of 4) 3-4 MRI
    One arm Dumbell Rows 90 + dumbell (3 sets of 12) 1 MRI
    Back extension (1 set to failure)
    Shrugs -(3 sets to failure) 160 + bar
    Upright Rows - 80 + bar (3 sets of 10)
    One-Leg calf raises + 60 lbs 2 sets to failure
    Abs - Crunches 3 sets of 30

Friday: off

Saturday:
    Shoulders and Tris
    Close-grip bench presses 120 + bar (3 sets of 6,4,4)1 MRI drop set 100 + bar (1 set of 10
    Skullcrushers 70 + EZ Bar (2 Sets of 15,12) 1 MRI
    One-Arm Triceps Extension 35 + bar (2 sets of 10) 0-1 MRI
    Dumbell Kickbacks 20 + dumbell (2 sets of 15) 0-1 MRI
    Seated front dumbell press 50 + dumbell (1 set of 8) 45 + dumbell (2 sets of 10-12) 35 to failure (20) 1-2 MRI
    Dumbell Side Laterals 25 + Bar (3 sets of 12)1 MRI
    Standing dumbell bent laterals 25 + Bar (3 sets of 15) 1 MRI
    Abs- Crunches 3 sets of 30

Note: My squat may seem a little off compared to everything else. But its because I dont have a squat rack or anything like that. I just have a regular flat bench. So when I do my squats I have to just lift the bar off the floor and over onto my traps. And I can't get more than 110 lbs up over my head so thats pretty much all I can squat for now.

Everyones comment will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by HardKnockNES; 03-07-2003 at 02:29 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wow, that's a lot of volume you got goin on there. What are your goals right now? Bulking, or cutting? Oh yeah, and I wouldn't rely on those crappy magazines for training advice.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    I dont really rely on them
    I get most of my info from websites and from bb boards.

Bulking.

do hack squats instead of regular squats.. you would be able to do alot more weight then

The Truth
    How do you do hack squats?

Wannabebig Member
    I would do hack squats, but the movement seems really awkward.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Tru
    How do you do hack squats?
    Hack squat

get a tan
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Wannabebig Member
    I think im pretty tan for a white guy! And summer is coming up so then I will have a nice tan. Sheesh!

you seem to be working in the right direction.
    maybe some work on that routine.
    Why dont you just adopt the WBB1 or 2 routine and save yourself some time\'

Wannabebig Member
    The WBB routines have a lot of exercises I can't do in them (Leg Presses, Leg Entensions, hamstring curls, lat pull downs, dips, chinups. etc) Because I work out at home I dont have any access to this kind of equipment.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I would say do SQUATS... there is no substitute for them. Just because one can look cool with more weight on a hack squat...the result is better on plain ole' SQUATS. Get over the your ego and get onto GAINING!!!
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

How can you not have access to doing chins? Just make a chin bar yourself - takes 2 minutes.

The Truth
    Ah, so for hack squats you don't have to stand on a board? My friend told me you have to stand on like a 5inch board.. I didnt understand that part of it..

Thanks for the link

Wannabebig Member
    I actually bought a doorframe mountable chinning bar, and I mounted it in a doorway. After I was on it, the chinning bar came out of the frame because the wood was rotten. (apparently the apartment building i live in was bulit in the 30's. So, im basically screwed in that department. I would mount it in a different doorway in my apartment but i dont want the same thing to happen since the mess I made last time is going to cost me when I move out and only get half or none of my security deposit back.

Sounds like you need a gym membership.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Wannabebig Member
    When i get a better job, that will be at the top of my list
    But as for now, its home training and tunafish for me!

Wannabebig Member
    Anybody have anymore tips or comments?

I got a pic of my leg and my calf.
    Note: im not the best at taking pictures

Leg pic

Wannabebig Member
    Calf pic

for only 3 months of training you have some good shape already bro.

I think your volume is too high as theres guys say. are you progressing weight wise? if you are not getting stronger each week cut the volume, if you are , you will halt at some point, then cut it down.

Welcome to the board
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    My strength is progressing pretty steadily. But as soon as it stops I will cut the volume.

And Thanks for the welcome, this site is great!