Thread: Ab training

Wannabebig Member

Ab training

I work out my abs twice a week, doing 4 sets of crunches. I rest 1 and half minute between each set, and I start out doing 20 reps, then I fail to do any more. But after my second set where i manage about 15, its a total stop, and on my last two sets I barely manage 10....Is this optimal training ? Should I wait longer between each set? I work out at home, and I don't know about any other exercises for the abs, so...

try doing leg-lifts...

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Crunches? They wont do crap. You have to train your abs with resistance and sets not unlike your other exercises. Doing a thousand reps will make them hard as a rock, but they'll still be small and unappealing. Since they are also involved in big compound movements like squats and dealifts, it pays off to have very strong abs.

I do this-
    2 sets cable crunches, 12 reps to near failure
    1 set roman chair crunches with no weight, 20 reps
    1 set roman chairs w/10lbs behind head, 6 reps

If you work out at home, go buy a weight plate or two, a 5 and a 10lb, and do your crunches holding those BEHIND your HEAD. On your chest doesnt mean crap. The key to working any muscle is resistance.

I was rudely awakened when I wasnt making gains on my calves by doing 300lb raises 25 reps, but when I switched to 8-12 rep sets of 500lbs they started growing, getting stronger and much much harder.

Wannabebig Member
    i agree with Budiak, if you are looking to stremgthen your abs, plain old crunches just don't cut it. Weighted resistance is essential for really making the core strong. its the central link to your bodyy and everything else is affected by it. If you are looking to cut down and just have a nice lean body with a 6pack, then the diet is key and more reps may help tone the old belly. however, if strengthening your abbs is what you want i suggest this.
    A)Cable Crunches 2X 20 till failure around 20
    B)Straight Leg Lifts (working lower) with a 10 pound dumbell hooked between feet 2X 20
    C)Cable twists (working the obliques) i burn this one out with alot of weight for about 10 reps till failure doing 2 more sets
    if worked fast this ab day will only take about 20 minutes
    "a nice (addition)

help

What would you guys suggest I do?

I train at home, like you were talking about Budiak. I have never used weights in my ab training and would like to start. I was doing crunches, reverse crunches, tristing crunches, and side bends, with a dumbbel I don't have any extra apparatus for working my abs. If you know any more of those exercises you were talking about, please tell me. Thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    you can get a resistance ball for pretty cheap.....crunches on this works really well. You can also do leg lifts with it, and it's good for stretching.

My abs routine atm = (2 sets 10-15):

hanging leg raises, feet to bar
    side bends with a heavy DB
    incline board bent leg situps w. 10lbs plate to forehead
    Leg lifts with weight
    higher incline bent leg situps w. twist
    hyperextensions

Wannabebig Member
    How do you perform the exercises you are talking about dkliewer? Apart from the crunches, I don't know how these exercises work. Do you have a link of a description of these exercises ?

The Truth
    Yeah..
    How do you do some of those?

I'm in the same situation, no equipment but weight, bench, and a chin bar (So I could do hanging leg raises and twisted hanging leg raises)...

Going for a 6 pack, not strong abs..

why not get both at the same time ?

The Truth
    Ok... But someone said this
    " If you are looking to cut down and just have a nice lean body with a 6pack, then the diet is key and more reps may help tone the old belly. however, if strengthening your abbs is what you want i suggest this.
    A)Cable Crunches 2X 20 till failure around 20
    B)Straight Leg Lifts (working lower) with a 10 pound dumbell hooked between feet 2X 20
    C)Cable twists (working the obliques) i burn this one out with alot of weight for about 10 reps till failure doing 2 more sets
    if worked fast this ab day will only take about 20 minutes"

Meaning, or at least I thought, if you want strong abs (not cut) do that.. want a 6 pack, just do high reps...

Anyway.. Know any exercises?

I was doing these without any weights:

reverse crunches - Lie on your back with your knees slightly bent and lift your legs directly up and hold it then lower your legs and repeat.

twisting crunches - I do these just like normal crunches, only this time as I crunch I twist my torso so my right elbow touches my left knee. Then you go back down and repeat twisting your left elbow to your right knee.

side bends - standing straight up with a dumbbell in one hand, let that side of your body bend as far as possible. With your opposite hand behind your neck, pull your body straight with just your obliques.

I didn't list normal crunches because I'm pretty sure you know how to do them. I hope that helps you out.

Also,
    I'm gonna ditch these and start using some resistance exercises for my abs. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should be doing?
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175