Thread: What is this called?

What is this called?

Ok there is a contraption in my gym that I'm considering. It is shaped like a diamond, you stand in the middle, handles at your sides, plates on the ends like a regular bar, and lift (dead lift, I'm guessing). Picture a regular bar, but pulled apart in the middle so that you can step in the middle.

Deadlifts seem to hurt my back, making it stiff for the following day. I'm thinking this may be better for me as I won't have the problem with the bar hitting my shins, thus allowing better form and helping my back. Is this thing good? Is it for deadlifts? Could it be used for presses? This would end my problem of leaning back to avoid the bar hitting my nose.

Opinions?

Thanx
    dave

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2239188

Wannabebig Member
    Trap bars are fine. Used alot for "safer" pulls in strength training for football kids and such. If you like it, use it. Lil secret though...bloody shins make you stronger and your back is supposed to be sore the next day. I suggest keeping your form tight, getting some high socks, and dragging that bitch up your legs. Tie your shoes in advance for the next day, take a shower at night and put on the socks you want in the morning. Problem solved.

Although it wasn't originally designed for deadlifts a "trap bar" is useful for them. I believe it hits quads a little more and is less technical mechanically. I'd still try and make sure my deadlifts were being done appropriately and use the trap bar and other exercises to augment a traditional dead.

If you're hitting your shins on deadlifts then your form isn't as good as it could be.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    actually, if you are not scraping your shins, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage for heavy pulls. let anything over 495 come out from your shins an inch or two and the bar will tend to stall out and your lower back will potentially be very pissed at you. flat soled shoes, high socks and lil powder on the thigh fat and rip that son of a bitch up. Not opinion. Think about two kids on a see saw. If one sits closer to the fulcrum (center of the of the see-saw) he will stay in the air and never go down even if he is the same weight as the other kid. He has made the lever more efficient and the wonderful lever can even allow fat kids and skinny kids to play together by scooting the fat kid closer to the fulcrom(making him lighter) and the skinny kid further from the center(making him "feel" heavier)

During the deadlift, your body is a lever and in order to maximize efficiency, the bar needs to be as close to the fulcrum as possible. Therefore, bloody shins = good.

Trap Bar Deadlifts can be done in such a way as to hit your quads hard, or it can be done in such a way as to hit your back hard. It's all in how you perform the reps.

The Trap Bar Deadlift is often refered to as the "parallel grip squat lift" because the muscle function more resembles a squat than a deadlift.

The Trap Bar Deadlift is a very good multi-joint movement and is said to involve more musculature than a squat and deadlift. This makes it a very productive lift.

The weight travels in-line with the body which can make it a safer alternative for some lifters. However, there is less stability at the top of the movement, so don't let your form get loose.
    Last edited by Off Road; 12-25-2009 at 08:21 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

The bar SHOULD be as close to your body the whole time, to keep from injury. Scraping your shins is not bad, I have a few scabs on em' right now. But ideally I like to be about 1cm outside of my shins b/c I look like a freak bleeding all over the gym
    -deltoids anonomous

Quote Originally Posted by mikewood View Post
    Trap bars are fine. Used alot for "safer" pulls in strength training for football kids and such. If you like it, use it. Lil secret though...bloody shins make you stronger and your back is supposed to be sore the next day. I suggest keeping your form tight, getting some high socks, and dragging that bitch up your legs. Tie your shoes in advance for the next day, take a shower at night and put on the socks you want in the morning. Problem solved.

Ha, I like your attitude. But I'm never sure where the sore back is coming from, as there is good and bad pain. I like the good pain from a workout, but don't want the bad pain from an injury to my back.

Thanx for all the responces. No one addressed the use of the "Trap bar" for shoulder presses. I would like your opinions there as well.
    THanx again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    No one addressed the use of the "Trap bar" for shoulder presses. I would like your opinions there as well.
    THanx again.
    They are hard to get into place for shoulder presses, and they would be scary if you got "stuck" at shoulder level.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    They are hard to get into place for shoulder presses, and they would be scary if you got "stuck" at shoulder level.

I figured I could just use my awsome new squat rack!

Wannabebig Member
    yea...sometimes hard to differentiate extreme soreness from injury in the lower back sometimes. I used to skip heavy good mornings because of the extreme pain the next two days-but my training partners reminded me that I was being a pussy, hence the shoe tied and socks on early "solution" came to me.The result was alot of soreness but also broke a 600 lb deadlift with no belt. Plus, I was over 300 lbs for a minute, and who wants to tie their shoes at that weight anyways. In my humble opinion, if nothing goes "pop" in the middle of my training-then the next day pain is just making me stronger.It can be truly uncomfortable to have yer erectors locked up a bit though, and I understand.

aormz, I will get fussed at if I am not bleeding at the end of my pulling, and I am sorry that you would be viewed as a "freak" at yer training facility for doing so. Be a FREAK, embrace it bro-who wants to be average...

Still got no input about shoulder presses, but the trap bar is usefull for building strength. One of my training partners is 73 with leukemia and though he competes bench only, he used this to strengthen his legs, back and core. Check the front page of northgeorgiabarbell.com and you'll see him hit 300 lb raw bench for a solid single at SEVENTY THREE with ****ing CANCER! yes, deadlifts do cure cancer.
    Also, I would like to second all the smart things off-road said. I tend to think in terms of "pussy" vs. "not pussy" not biomechanics and such...

O

I figured I could just use my awsome new squat rack!
    Your average Trap Bar won't fit with an average rack.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    If you're hitting your shins on deadlifts then your form isn't as good as it could be.
    Sarcastic? I ride my shins and my pulls are progressing just fine . . .

I used the trap bar last night on the squat rack. As usual, Off Road, you were right, it really does not fit. I made it work by sliding the plates out enough for it to fit and then putting collars on the outside. That said, it felt much better on my back doing the lift with the weight centered rather than in front of me. I think I will continue like this.

Mike, I was suprized to find that, unlike 99% of internet videos, I was able to watch the ones at your site! I wish the site had some instructional ones showing form, but maybe it does, I need to check back and do some rooting around. Your friend is quite inspiring. I'm stronger at 46 than I was at 26 (I was a 98 pound weakling when I started lifting). I've learned a lot from reading and web sites like this one. Knowledge is power.

Your friend gives me hope that perhaps I will be stronger in 20 years than I am today. Anyway, that is my goal. I hope he's still pumping iron at 83 and beyond. I also saw your 31 rep bench. Nice.

Thanx again for all the good advice.
    dave

I made it work by sliding the plates out enough for it to fit and then putting collars on the outside. That said, it felt much better on my back doing the lift with the weight centered rather than in front of me. I think I will continue like this.
    Sounds like you found a good solution. Let us know how you progress.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    good luck bro! There are no instructional videos on the site, just random crap that gets taped. Jon tries to keep it updated several times weekly to give people an idea of what is going on at the gym. There are however, some interesting articles you may want to check out-not really geared to the bb'er but you may find them an interesting read. Glad your pullin with that bar. You may have missed it in my earlier rambling post, but there is a vest made that will hold the boards for you, I highly suggest looking into it as it has paid dividends on my bench and added mass to my triceps without taxing my poor creaky shoulders as much as dips. thks bout the vid -goofin off postworkout, no real value in it but im obsessed with getting to 40.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewood View Post
    You may have missed it in my earlier rambling post, but there is a vest made that will hold the boards for you, I highly suggest looking into it as it has paid dividends on my bench and added mass to my triceps without taxing my poor creaky shoulders as much as dips. thks bout the vid -goofin off postworkout, no real value in it but im obsessed with getting to 40.

I'm looking into the boards. If anyone is reading this and wondering, here is a link I found that does a good job of explaining them:

http://www.criticalbench.com/board-press.htm

Mike, it says that you need a spotter, so that is something to consider. My hardest position is several inches off my chest. I have pinned up a machine bench press and lifted quite a bit more weight. I checked for the vest, but haven't found it yet.

Wannabebig Member
    www.eosportsgear.com

theres the link to the folks that sell the board vest.
    best of luck in the new year!
    Last edited by mikewood; 01-01-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: explination