Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOMAD Results 16 pounds in 4 weeks

Wannabebig Member

GOMAD Results 16 pounds in 4 weeks

I made pretty gains in terms of weight via the GOMAD diet. Unfortunately I am so week from my 7 year old surgery I am having to learn the basic all over again before I can even start on Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength.

Below are before and after pictures...My befores of me are covered so it is kinda hard to tell. Again I thank every1 for their support and motivation in making believe it is possible. I also do know I have a long long way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 pounds a week is quite a bit, even for a beginner. I'd lower your cals, gaining weight is good but don't focus on the scale alone, you'll only be disappointed in the end when you realize how much fat you've gained.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by dancehallnative View Post
    I am having to learn the basic all over again before I can even start on Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength.
    What does this even mean? That program is the very definition of basic. 3 lifts, done heavy across two rotating workouts 3 days a week.

This is going to sound mean but it's the straight truth so don't take it personally. Your GOMAD diet was a horrible failure. Sure, you gained weight but you also now look pregnant. Fat doesn't turn into muscle. From where you are now, you'll have to build muscle, then cut the fat.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Wait, so you did GOMAD before starting Starting Strength?

I'm sorry, I know your new to all of this and everything, but drinking a gallon of milk a day is definitely not working out for you one bit. Drop the milk, clean up your diet, get more protein, and hit the cardio. You've just began digging yourself a hole to fatness, get out before you're in too deep.
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 12-06-2009 at 06:40 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    This is going to sound mean but it's the straight truth so don't take it personally. Your GOMAD diet was a horrible failure. Sure, you gained weight but you also now look pregnant. Fat doesn't turn into muscle. From where you are now, you'll have to build muscle, then cut the fat.
    Someone had to say it.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for everyone's honesty. In reference to Starting Strength being the very basic, I mean to say, that because of my surgery it has impeded me from doing the basic exercises in Starting Strength. For example I cant really bench because I cant even do one lousy push-up. I also cant do one chin up. BTW this has nothing to do with now weighing 16 pounds more. Also I end up doing romanian deadlifts instead of the standard ones Mark Requires. Things like these have caused me to wait till I am done with my final exams which will be in 2 weeks. Then I plan to seriously hit the gym and work with someone who can really help me get my form down and also learn how to do 3 sets of 15 good forming push-ups.

I think my big mistake was continuing on the GOMAD diet plus the 4 meals even though I wasn't lifting. At least I now know htere is no such thing as a hard gainer. The good thing is, it is easy for me to lose weight therefor I will lay low from the milk, even though I have started to like the taste after never really drinking it all my life, until I have the time to hit the gym. Hopefully I can lose 8 pounds of the 16 by the time I hit the gym in 2.5 weeks.

Any more suggestions are welcomed!

Don't freak out too much, milk makes my stomach pop out a little-it should go down pretty quick.

I still would back off a little on the calories and make sure you are training AND recovering well.

You will need to keep moving forward with the weights so just back off a little with the milk but do not quit lifting and start chasing your tail by doing lots of cardio.

Good on you for posting the photo's, it will take a while but you will get there!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

BTW push-ups have their place but you need to use heavy barbells first and foremost to get bigger and stronger.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Wannabebig Member
    I mentioned Push-Ups because others have mentioned that, that might be the reason for me not being able to do a bench press.

Then others are stupid. You can vary the amount of resistance on a barbell a lot easier than you can your body.

If it's that you lack the ability to perform the movement because of a physical limitation, that's one thing. If it's that you're just not strong enough to do a pushup, then that would be why you're lifting. To get stronger. Do the program as it's written or don't do it at all. Rippetoe knows more than you do.

Then others are stupid. You can vary the amount of resistance on a barbell a lot easier than you can your body.
    It was recomended by some of the guys (not me) for him to do pushups because he's not strong enough to press the bar weight yet.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wait. So he can't press the bar, yet people were suggesting he do pushups...which is MORE resistance than an unloaded Olympic barbell. That makes perfect sense.

Dumbbell pressing or a broomstick with resistance bands are two things right off the top of my head that could do the same thing but also have the added benefit of variable resistance.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 12-07-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Wait. So he can't press the bar, yet people were suggesting he do pushups...which is MORE resistance than an unloaded Olympic barbell. That makes perfect sense.

Dumbbell pressing or a broomstick with resistance bands are two things right off the top of my head that could do the same thing but also have the added benefit of variable resistance.
    I agree with you. I think that dumbbells would be a great way to go.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

OP can you really not bench the olympic bar?

If so that's cool I have just never heard of it and find it a little hard to believe, are you really trying to push the bar?
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    OP can you really not bench the olympic bar?

If so that's cool I have just never heard of it and find it a little hard to believe, are you really trying to push the bar?
    This was weird to me too. My money is on form issues.

OP, like I said before, Ill be in DC for a week at Capital City Club and Spa. If you can get yourself in I will help you get your stuff in order.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-07-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    This was weird to me too. My money is on form issues.

OP, like I said before, Ill be in DC for a week at Capital City Club and Spa. If you can get yourself in I will help you get your stuff in order.
    Dancehallnative, you will NEVER get another opportunity like this. Do what you have to in order to take it.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks everyone. I will take on that opportunity I plan to call the club on friday and see what they can do for me so we can train together. Also it may seem cool that one cant even lift a standard olympic barbell, but not when you are the person. I look weird in a gym using a smith machine to bench even when it has little weights on it. I was once told that I just lack an overall range of motion in my various body parts. I find that untrue as I used to run track. To everyone else I am really trying. I havent started lifting because of exams. As for the GOMAD and my eating of 5k calories was to get my body conditioned to eating and drink milk that much whilst I train. I really didnt think I would be this lucky in terms of quick gains. 4 weeks go by fast and most those days I hadnt even done a full gallon. So i know once I start SS the gain will show. I have no intentions on changing SS because none of us are really better than mark himself and I am lucky I ran into a great forum with people like you all on here.Once the vacation starts I will start the program and list my progress.

Hey, good luck. If you gotta start super light, you gotta start super light. Save the GOMAD till you start lifting and you will get stronger. Keep us posted, your situation (the metal rods) is very interesting.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Soilwork addict.
    Thanks everyone. I will take on that opportunity I plan to call the club on friday and see what they can do for me so we can train together. Also it may seem cool that one cant even lift a standard olympic barbell, but not when you are the person. I look weird in a gym using a smith machine to bench even when it has little weights on it. I was once told that I just lack an overall range of motion in my various body parts. I find that untrue as I used to run track. To everyone else I am really trying. I havent started lifting because of exams. As for the GOMAD and my eating of 5k calories was to get my body conditioned to eating and drink milk that much whilst I train. I really didnt think I would be this lucky in terms of quick gains. 4 weeks go by fast and most those days I hadnt even done a full gallon. So i know once I start SS the gain will show. I have no intentions on changing SS because none of us are really better than mark himself and I am lucky I ran into a great forum with people like you all on here.Once the vacation starts I will start the program and list my progress.
    I dont normally give advice due to the fact I dont normally have first hand experience but this time I do.

SS and BGB while GOMAD will completely jack you. Thats all I have done for the last 2 years. Drinking a gallon of milk a day without doing those workouts makes you fat as the cows it comes from.

Its a symbiotic relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Very interested to see how you progress. I'd suggest starting a journal.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    maybe this should be in a post all on its own...but anybody know any free blackberry app that would act as a journal...and maybe even watch diet...cause of course it is 2005 + 4 and nobody wants to carry a real notebook...

I couldnt bench the bar when I started - couldn't squat it either.

I was pretty much the weakest most pathetic specimen on the face of the planet when I first went the gym at 6'2 140 lbs

Squatted a 270 on fri - still not amazing but gettin there!

OP - keep it up, its a learning experience and always will be
    Last edited by Alyion; 12-08-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I couldn't bench the bar when I started either, and I couldn't do a single dip or pull-up, I was even skinnier than you are... This is me in the summer 2006. I started really taking the advice on this site seriously in the Fall of 2004. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/att...7&d=1153093612 I don't have any more recent pics on this site, but I'm a bit bigger now. This site has an incredible wealth of information.

Also, please don't take offense to this but you are still in highschool? If you find that you can't get adequate time in to lift because of exams, then you are going to have an even harder time once you get into college, and the workplace. I'm not questioning your dedication, but I am questioning your time-management skills.
    There are many days where all I do is wake up, go to work, work on my medical school applications, work-out, and then go to bed. I guaruntee that you are not working from the moment you get up until the moment you fall asleep at night, it's incredibly easy to watch an hour of television or dink around on the internet, in that hour you could've gone to the gym.
    Staying in good shape and building a good body is all about priorities, if you want results you need to really micromanage your time.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I am not in HS I am 26 but I am in UNI though.