The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gaining Weight During Bulk

Been bulking since the middle of July and have packed on around 23 pounds so far. Which is pretty good but now my pre-bulk abs have virtually disappeared! I'm doing starting strength right now and I like it so far. I want to slow my fat gain a little bit. I considered doing cardio but don't really want to hinder my gains in the program. Suggestions? Should I just lower my cals for a few weeks?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Most bulk phases are followed by a cut phase. Or better called a "trimming down loosing fat" phase for the rest of us.

You can reduce your carbs and increase your cardio to loose fat pounds/weight, you should find your 6pkabs again soon!

Whatever muscle you gained in your bulk phase will remain.

Just clean up the diet and increase cardo, should go a long way. Im coming off a bulking phase right now myself, Im getting TOOOO fat!

GL,
    Andrew
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

Yeah, I was planning on doing a cut Beginning of March... So I have a ways to go yet. I never did a bulk for this long, and my fat really isn't gaining anywhere except my stomach. It doesn't help I drink close to two gallons of liquids a day because of creatine! I might just lower my carbs and cut out the massive amounts of natural peanut butter i eat. Do this for a couple of weeks and then start eating everything in sight again.

if you want to slow you fat gain a little cut back on calories a little, do a little cardio, not to much may 30minutes 2 times a week, you want lose any strength or muscle but you will slow the fat down. eating good quality protein and good complex carbs is the key to good quality lean body mass gain. its just a fine line you have to increase body fat to gain muscle, the key is key it in moderation. when its time to cut totally then do it but don't stop trying to gain muscle, its the offseason grow time!!!!
    Last edited by David Trantham; 12-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

thanks for your input!

Here's my thoughts on it...
    Starting Strength is used to build a foundation of strength. You are probably right in the middle of optimum growing time. I wouldn't cut that short just because you're putting on a little pudge. Milk that routine dry, gain as much strength and muscle as you can from it. When gains start to stall, then cut the fat off and maintain your strength.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    jtrink, what are your stats (height/weight/etc)... I know you said youve gained 23lbs but what weight did you start at and where are you now? If you only weigh something like 170lbs now and are about 6 foot, keep bulking. Trust me, I'm seeing my abs disappear slowly but I know it will be worth it in the end when I cut down from my bulk phase. More mass in more areas, including the abs
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

started at 5'10 152ish, i'm now at 175ish. I weighed as much as 178 but that's end of day with food/water in me... I plan to keep my cals the same but maybe change my workout routine. I'm honestly getting tired of doing starting strength-i've been doing it for a long time and would like to change. My ideas were the combine the basics of starting strength with a few accessory lifts, and cut down my squatting to maybe 1-2 times per week. I'll probably get burned for saying that
    Last edited by jtrink; 12-05-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    started at 5'10 152ish, i'm now at 175ish. I weighed as much as 178 but that's end of day with food/water in me... I plan to keep my cals the same but maybe change my workout routine. I'm honestly getting tired of doing starting strength-i've been doing it for a long time and would like to change. My ideas were the combine the basics of starting strength with a few accessory lifts, and cut down my squatting to maybe 1-2 times per week. I'll probably get burned for saying that
    I would just clean up (not lower) your calories and move on to the Texas Method.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I would just clean up (not lower) your calories and move on to the Texas Method.
    I like that idea too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Whats the difference between the Texas Method and Original? I know the Texas Method/Practical Programming is more intermediate...

Whats the difference between the Texas Method and Original? I know the Texas Method/Practical Programming is more intermediate...
    Instead of linear progression 3 times a week on the squats, it has a Volume day,a Recovery day, and an Intensity day. There is a sticky in the bodybuilding forum about it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I'll read the sticky Off Road, thanks...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrink
    I'm honestly getting tired of doing starting strength-i've been doing it for a long time and would like to change. My ideas were the combine the basics of starting strength with a few accessory lifts, and cut down my squatting to maybe 1-2 times per week. I'll probably get burned for saying that
    The Texas Method also allows for some variance once you know what you're doing. You can include a little more volume if you want, you can vary the assistance a bit, you can occasionally include speed workouts. As long as you stick to the basic plan you can modify it to suit you and therefore potentially stay on it for a long time.

Check out http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Texas_Method for some ideas.

If you are getting bored of squatting three times a week and just want a complete change then go for it and do something different! Nobody says you have to do x program. Its just that SS is a superb way to get people started. You might find a nice mental instead of physical break from mixing things up.

This looks like a good three-day program based around a classic squat day, bench day, deadlift day template: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...ilding_Program

Bear in mind that you may still see the best results from something based on 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps though. If you want to try a different rep range because you're bored as hell of 5x5 then go for it. When you get bored of that go back to lifting heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by David Trantham View Post
    if you want to slow you fat gain a little cut back on calories a little, do a little cardio, not to much may 30minutes 2 times a week, you want lose any strength or muscle but you will slow the fat down. eating good quality protein and good complex carbs is the key to good quality lean body mass gain. its just a fine line you have to increase body fat to gain muscle, the key is key it in moderation. when its time to cut totally then do it but don't stop trying to gain muscle, its the offseason grow time!!!!
    perfect advice imo.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Here's my thoughts on it...
    Starting Strength is used to build a foundation of strength. You are probably right in the middle of optimum growing time. I wouldn't cut that short just because you're putting on a little pudge. Milk that routine dry, gain as much strength and muscle as you can from it. When gains start to stall, then cut the fat off and maintain your strength.
    ^^this^^

Ive noticed the same exact thing. I was 170 and have gained 35 pounds in about 4 months... i have the top 4 showing the botom abs have developed fattyness, not a belly at all, but a cover-up. Mini love handles but thats about it. now being 205 i want to gain to 230, but from my past i know ill have trouble with diet control.. right now im on a eat everything at anytime diet :/

my goal for this bulk was to be just under 200lbs, then cut down to about 180ish. I'm planning for a cut mid march maybe...