Thread: Me vs. Metabolism.

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Me vs. Metabolism.

Alright lads.

Until a few months ago I've been on Roaccutane which has prevented me training to any worthwhile degree, since coming off I've been focusing on fitness and in the new year I'm getting back to decent training.

The problem I have is a freakishly high metabolism. I'm 18, 5"8 and anywhere between 127 and 131 pounds depending on things like time of day and last time I had a poop. While on Roaccutane I had a fairly poor diet and the extent of my exercise was walking to/from school/work. Previously, when my life was a bit of a rut, I spent about 2 years with literally no exercise, sitting infront of my computer all day every day, eating junk. I still didn't gain weight. If I had any weight to lose, I probably would have lost it already while doing my light training recently for fitness purposes.

What would you guys recommend in terms of diet only for gaining good weight I can work into lean muscle. I have a pretty lean figure and want to, at some stage, be thicker, but very toned. Chubby isn't my thing. Anyway, all help is welcomed, cheers!

Keep things simple.
    1) Get on a strength training program that will hit all the major muscle groups of the body.
    2) Eat more food with a focus on reasonably healthy food such as meats, milk, eggs, peanut butter, nuts, complex carbs, etc...
    3) Monitor your weight gain. If you aren't gaining, eat more. If you still aren't gaining, eat more. Repeat this process until you are gaining weight.

If your metabolism is truly that fast and you have that much trouble gaining weight, you aren't going to get fat accidentally.

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds pretty reasonable.

I can see myself running into an early problem as far as desire and commitment go. My strong point has always been cardio. Despite my lack of muscle, strength etc, I can outlast any of my friends at running, swimming, cycling and so on. It's probably not a good idea to keep at that, since I'm fairly fit again and the biggest impact will probably be weight loss...

Is there any types of weight training that induces weight gain more than others? Heavy lift or high reps for example?

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, compound lifts with heavy weight and low reps (deadlift, squat, military press, chin-ups, bench press, etc.)

I doubt you're eating as much as you think you are. Track your calories, figure out your maintenance, and eat more than that. Whole milk and peanut butter are both great tools for bulking. And like others have said, get on a routine with compound lifts. I'd recommend SS. Good luck.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe