The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Pics of 22 yr old - Intermediate lifter (comments wanted)

Sup guys , This is my first post and im just settling into the community here.

I started working out senior year in high school and did everything wrong for a couple eyars (too many curls, too little calories)

Over the past year and ahalf ive been pretty serious about lifting and eating. I eat clean during the week most of the weekend. I only booze about 1-2 a month which is pretty good while being a senior in college.

Took these pics a couple weeks ago. I got a BF % test done at my local gym and it said I was 11.8%, what do you think?

IM currently trying to "clean bulk," putting on muscle with little fat as possible and so far its working. I didnt have a job all summer and simply cooked, ate, and ripped the gym

check out the pics and lemme know whatcha think.

I weigh about 175 lbs in them

Last edited by dannyocean1996; 08-29-2009 at 03:36 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

strong base, very lean. my opinion, I wouldn't worry about your diet being clean, keep the alcohol out of it still, but it doesn't need to be clean. You look like you're naturally lean so it's going to take alot of eatting to put on some serious weight, i'm the same way. During the winter just stuff your face dude.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I disagree. You should continue to eat as clean as possible and up the calories slowly. While dirty bulking is fun, it is complete nonsense in that you will balloon in water retention, raise your cholesterol levels, gain unneeccesary fat, and for what? to have two extra pounds of muscle and twenty of fat? dirty bulking is just an excuse that people make who can't take responsibility for their diet. I am speaking from experience, it can takes months even years to properly diet off and restore the lean body type you had before you "bulked" at the risk of losing all the muscle you put on. Why not just keep things strict, gain muscle slowly, stay lean and keep your gains? The main difference between the 15-18 yr olds on this board and truly successful athletes is the dedication and focus it takes to do things right and carefully for year after year. Life isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You don't want to dirty bulk, get fat, be unhealthy and feel unhealthy, and then give up and say dieting isn't for me and then come back a year later as a complete fat ass. Clean = better in my opinion. Argue away high school kids, but it isn't me whose going to be looking in the mirror in 5 years of bulk/cut "cycles" and wondering why can't get lean enough or big enough or thinking I have terrible genetics..

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    that's what I hope to look like when I cut this fall!
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

how tall?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    I disagree. You should continue to eat as clean as possible and up the calories slowly. While dirty bulking is fun, it is complete nonsense in that you will balloon in water retention, raise your cholesterol levels, gain unneeccesary fat, and for what? to have two extra pounds of muscle and twenty of fat? dirty bulking is just an excuse that people make who can't take responsibility for their diet. I am speaking from experience, it can takes months even years to properly diet off and restore the lean body type you had before you "bulked" at the risk of losing all the muscle you put on. Why not just keep things strict, gain muscle slowly, stay lean and keep your gains? The main difference between the 15-18 yr olds on this board and truly successful athletes is the dedication and focus it takes to do things right and carefully for year after year. Life isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You don't want to dirty bulk, get fat, be unhealthy and feel unhealthy, and then give up and say dieting isn't for me and then come back a year later as a complete fat ass. Clean = better in my opinion. Argue away high school kids, but it isn't me whose going to be looking in the mirror in 5 years of bulk/cut "cycles" and wondering why can't get lean enough or big enough or thinking I have terrible genetics..
    LOL - you don't have to eat fast food everyday, but you also don't have to be completely clean with your food either. The difference between the successful on this board is that they understand you need alot of food to grow. As long as you're training like you should and hittlng cardio, you won't just end up a fatass.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radioheadhead View Post
    how tall?

I am 5 foot 8 inches

I'm at the girlfriends now and posting from my iPhone. I will respond to the other posts later. Thanks for the input it's been a good tool to aid in reflection of my progress.

Thanks guys

awesome work, I am 6' and trying to bulk to 220-225 and then slowly cut down to 9%, hopefully at around 200lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    got my BF tested this week, up to 179 LBS and 12 % BF

All my lifts are up

Deadlift = 315 x 3
    Bench = 225 x 3

my military shoulder press is really lacking and doesn't progress as fast as I would like... i currently do 135 x 5 and the reps get lower until I hit my PR of 175

I do military press, upright row, standing dumbell press for shoulders... any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    LOL - you don't have to eat fast food everyday, but you also don't have to be completely clean with your food either. The difference between the successful on this board is that they understand you need alot of food to grow. As long as you're training like you should and hittlng cardio, you won't just end up a fatass.

I have to agree with the Times article....cardio isn't as important as diet. At all. Whatsoever. I gree you don't have to east fast food every day, but why not get into a good habit of eating clean? Your body will thank you, and you won't get tubby. If you eat like crap, it doesn't matter how much cardio you do.

also, it is very difficult to track cals properly when eating out. you're better off prepping your food and being consistent w/ a clean diet. and for the record... you can easily gain fat while eating 100% clean. fat gain is a function of excess quantity calories less maintenance less activity expenditures. that sounds pretty fancy.

Good points, I agree. By eating clean, I meant non-processed foods in moderation, I should've been more clear. Good distinction, though.

Wannabebig Member
    Your military press @135 x 5, is right where it shoud be, based on your other lifts.

Hi Danny, you look awesome mate

What is your current diet (including cals/macros)? Very curious to know

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    I don't post here much, but just thought I'd speak up and say GREAT POST. I agree with your take on "dirty bulking" 100%. I am definitely in the camp of "quality over quantity" when it comes to gaining weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Heres an update guys.

Im stilla t it lifting and eating right. Im lifting about 5 days a week, one per body part plus a bonus day of a light full body.

I have neglected squats for awhile but im slowly progressing and working hard on them. Up to about 225 X 5

I hit 405 for a deadlift this week for my first time. Check out the video below and feel free to comment on it.

I took some more pics. I weigh 186 LBS now. I think i put on a little fat in the mid section but thats to be expected when im throwing on LBS. I think im gonna continue as I am now and get as big and strong as i can until feb-march, then cut 5-8 lbs for summer.

Please let me know what you think of my first pics and these pics now...

and my deadlift of 405

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0b0Xh88r4
    Last edited by dannyocean1996; 12-06-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Banned
    DL looks strong. Pulling 4PPS is a good milestone!

My recommendations:
    1. Bring your stance in a little, looks a little like your knees buckle in from being out a little wide. Imagine yourself about to attempt a standing broad jump. Where you place your feet is ideal for conventional deadlift stance.
    2. put some weight on the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    any other thoughts?

Banned
    BTW my "put your weight on the bar" was not meant to be rude. It was more of a "wow that looked easy. Sure thats your max" sort of comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    BTW my "put your weight on the bar" was not meant to be rude. It was more of a "wow that looked easy. Sure thats your max" sort of comment.
    Ya man I didnt take it wrong. It did seem to go up pretty easy. Im going to do it again this week then go up next week and see how that feels.

thanks for the input! I will adjust my stance

What does your entire routine look like?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyocean1996 View Post
    Ya man I didnt take it wrong. It did seem to go up pretty easy. Im going to do it again this week then go up next week and see how that feels.

thanks for the input! I will adjust my stance
    No problem. Hit a big PR and then post the video on this thread! I'm always glad to help