The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    $200 million on the line? Im guessing it'll still find a way to happen, and it will be even bigger due to this media frenzy over the bs.

If it doesnt happen...Ill be pissed.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

I'm with Nejar on this. I personally would be rooting for Pac man, but he seems to be ducking mayweather for some reason.......

Manny agreed to be tested immediately after the fight and I've also heard up to a week before the fight. This might not be accurate, but it was reported on Sports Center. I don't get, if that is true, what the big deal is? Test him a week before, then right after the fight. If he's clean with those tests, then he was clean during the fight.

What's funny, is this has gone from Floyd ducking Manny, to Manny ducking Floyd in the media. At first, everyone was up in arms because Manny is superstitious, Floyd knew that and he was using the blood tests as a way out. Now, it's Manny is covered in tattoos (he really isn't) so he must be using something and doesn't want to get caught.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    Manny agreed to be tested immediately after the fight and I've also heard up to a week before the fight.
    This is decidedly NOT accurate. Mayweather agreed to have the random testing stop 14 days before the fight. However, Pacman did not agree to this either.

I hate to be suspicious, but Pacman is acting VERY strange. Considering EVERYTHING that Mayweather ceded, Pacman should at least agree to whatever blood testing Mayweather wanted.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Top Rank's facebook page (yeah, I know, take it with a grain of salt) is reporting that Pacquiao is going to face Joshua Clottey on March 13th. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    What's funny, is this has gone from Floyd ducking Manny, to Manny ducking Floyd in the media. At first, everyone was up in arms because Manny is superstitious, Floyd knew that and he was using the blood tests as a way out. Now, it's Manny is covered in tattoos (he really isn't) so he must be using something and doesn't want to get caught.
    manny has agreed to all tests (urine, etc.) up to the point of fight except blood tests. this reason behind this goes back to his 2005 fight with Morales. he took a blood test very close to the day of the fight, lost the fight and felt that it was because the blood test made him weak. does that make sense to me? not really, but athletes are some of the most superstitious people i know. manny has agreed to a blood test immediately following the fight, but no blood tests once they get a month out from the bout.

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    This is decidedly NOT accurate. Mayweather agreed to have the random testing stop 14 days before the fight. However, Pacman did not agree to this either.
    is that true? from what i know, mayweather was insisting on Olympic testing rules where a blood test can be taken at anytime. regardless, that didn't fall under Manny's terms, which were 30 days out, and he is apparently unwilling to budge on that.

but to me, the bottomline is this. mayweather has never asked for anyone to be subjected to Olympic style testing before in his entire career. so why now? it's common knowledge that Pacquaio is extremely superstitious about the blood testing. Mayweather knew this and now he has pulled this crap so he can back down from the fight while trying to shove the blame off on Pacquiao.
    Last edited by RBB; 01-08-2010 at 08:25 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

When this fight happens (cause in my mind it has to for either of these guys to really put a stamp on their legacies)! The Pac man aint gonna change what he does or who he is for this fight, been fighting the way he has for too long. After saying that I also believe I agree with some others on this thread, If Manny can really get Floyd to engage then he really has a shot because I think he just hits harder! AFTER SAYING THAT I REEEAAALLLYY don't believe getting Floyd to come out of that defensive minded style is ever gonna happen. I hate to say it and god know I could be wrong but I see the fight being relatively boaring unless you see Floyd making one and two punch counters and watching Manny get frustrated fun?

I don't think Manny is gonna do anything that different from what he has done all his life in the ring and the same goes for Floyd! And if the fight does get ugly, men go to what they know period in those kinds of situations. I just don't see Floyd putting himself out their where he "could" get hurt.

The saddest thing to me about all of this is that the one theory I have always seems to make sense, what makes the best fighters??????????

Poverty!

Give a fighter a few million and the style and "want to " seems to change, How cool would it be if fighters only got paid if they won or even better got paid more for a knock out!!!! Off topic sorry..

this fight will happen, I refuse to believe that it won't and you can bet your assprin that I will pay to watch it!!!!

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    is that true? from what i know, mayweather was insisting on Olympic testing rules where a blood test can be taken at anytime. regardless, that didn't fall under Manny's terms, which were 30 days out, and he is apparently unwilling to budge on that.
    Well, according to Mayweather it is true. Apparently he was willing to budge to allow a 14 day window. The reason 30 days is suspicious is because that's long enough for him to take PEDs and flush them out of his system. If its good enough for the Olympics why isn't it good enough for Manny is the question we should be asking ourselves.

but to me, the bottomline is this. mayweather has never asked for anyone to be subjected to Olympic style testing before in his entire career. so why now?
    Probably because Mayweather's entire camp suspects Manny of cheating. Roach's fighters in the past have been caught cheating, and Manny has shot up in weight in the past year and not lost any effectiveness. He's also a lot better than he was in the past. I'm not saying he's on anything mind you, but I would be suspicious too. Also, considering Mayweather competed in the Olympics, Olympic style testing is not asking for a lot. Are you Manny fans saying that if given the opportunity to when he was young, Manny wouldn't have competed in the Olympics if they had the same type of drug testing they do now?

it's common knowledge that Pacquaio is extremely superstitious about the blood testing.
    Not to me, or anyone that watched the 24/7 where he took a blood test (that didn't check for PEDs) within 30 days of a fight. BTW, he knocked out the guy he fought (Hatton) within 2 rounds.

he has pulled this crap so he can back down from the fight while trying to shove the blame off on Pacquiao.
    LOL, why did he agree to everything else so quickly then? Why did he agree to take the ****ty date? Why did he not negotiate with anyone else during the negotiations? Why would a man who has problems paying the IRS duck the most lucrative fight in his career? Boxing negotiations RARELY break down because of one party, but here the blame clearly is on Pacman. When a man has basically ceded everything in negotiations to you, you should at least let him have what he wants when it comes to drug testing (which isn't a tactical advantage unless Pacman is actually cheating).

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Well, according to Mayweather it is true. Apparently he was willing to budge to allow a 14 day window. The reason 30 days is suspicious is because that's long enough for him to take PEDs and flush them out of his system. If its good enough for the Olympics why isn't it good enough for Manny is the question we should be asking ourselves.
    one could use test suspension and pass a drug test within the week. 30 days could be just as suspicious as 14.

Probably because Mayweather's entire camp suspects Manny of cheating. Roach's fighters in the past have been caught cheating, and Manny has shot up in weight in the past year and not lost any effectiveness. He's also a lot better than he was in the past. I'm not saying he's on anything mind you, but I would be suspicious too. Also, considering Mayweather competed in the Olympics, Olympic style testing is not asking for a lot. Are you Manny fans saying that if given the opportunity to when he was young, Manny wouldn't have competed in the Olympics if they had the same type of drug testing they do now?
    i'm not saying that, i don't know what he would've done in regards to the Olympics earlier in his career. as i mentioned earlier, he's had problems with the blood testing immediately before fights since his loss in 2005, so i wouldn't speculate on that.

Not to me, or anyone that watched the 24/7 where he took a blood test (that didn't check for PEDs) within 30 days of a fight. BTW, he knocked out the guy he fought (Hatton) within 2 rounds.
    24/7, you gotta be kidding me? those shows are heavily edited. a google search brings up a lot of hits on that. the test was actually taken 24 days before the fight. http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24398. there's one link, you can find many more.

LOL, why did he agree to everything else so quickly then? Why did he agree to take the ****ty date? Why did he not negotiate with anyone else during the negotiations? Why would a man who has problems paying the IRS duck the most lucrative fight in his career? Boxing negotiations RARELY break down because of one party, but here the blame clearly is on Pacman. When a man has basically ceded everything in negotiations to you, you should at least let him have what he wants when it comes to drug testing (which isn't a tactical advantage unless Pacman is actually cheating).
    i have no idea why he agreed to everything else and neither do you. probably because everything else he agreed to is relatively inconsequential stuff and it would've been incredibly clear he didn't want to fight if he hadn't. i don't see how you can say the blame is clearly on any one person here. i think manny is being unreasonable with this. a small blood test right before the fight isn't going to hurt him at all. but he's superstitious....ok, so be it. mayweather, on the other hand, knows this is the one thing he won't budge on and continues to press it. yes, i think he wants a way out. i don't think floyd would fight somebody if he thought he stood a chance to lose....he doesn't want that record of his tarnished. and the money probably doesn't mean that much to him. ok, he can fight manny and make $40-$50 mil or fight someone else and make $25 mil. either way, he's not gonna be hurting for cash.

his undefeated record means a lot more to him than the money. he's scared to lose....hell, i think he's even scared of a tough, close fight. mayweather has a history of ducking the biggest fights in his weight class. he's the sole reason why they never happened. he ducked Mosley, Margarito, Cotto. he wouldn't even accept a rematch with De La Hoya because Oscar gave him a much tougher time than he expected his first fight. that would've been a huge fight with big time money. so obviously, the money isn't an issue to him. he'll just pick an easier fight and make a little less money elsewhere. i think the guy is a complete coward.

at the end of the day, they're both being childish about this. grow up and get the fight on. it would be a shame if this fight never went down due to these reasons.
    Last edited by RBB; 01-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

there are now talks that Mayweather has agreed to a 14-day-out blood test. i thought this commentary on the situation was right on target.

PACQUIAO MUST CALL THE BLUFF AGAIN

By Greg R. Penilla, M.D.
    PhilBoxing.com
    Fri, 08 Jan 2010

The seemingly easy negotiation process between Pacquiao and Mayweather was the first ominous sign. When Mayweather appeared to be extremely reasonable and more than willing to fight, they were red flags.

The early ultimate Christmas gift to boxing fans was simply too good to be true.

Floyd’s trouble-free and straightforward agreement to a 50-50 split, 8 ounce gloves and million dollar penalties above 147 lbs came with a demand for a March 13, 2010 fight date. A date he felt too early (Pacquiao not fully recovered from a hard fight with Cotto) and too close to the May 2010 Philippine election for congressional candidate Pacquaio. Floyd Jr. was so sure Pacquiao will reject the date and declare himself a winner without throwing a single punch.

But Manny called Money’s bluff.

Hard core boxing disciples felt that it was not really happening considering Floyd Jr’s weak stomach against elite opponents but chose to ignore the warning signs. Just the thought of seeing the Fight of the Century gets the boxing devotees’ adrenalin pumping.

We all now have to confront the unpleasant reality that from the very start, Floyd Jr would not risk the possibility of ending up with a busted face, flat on his back on the canvas and losing his prized zero. The Mayweathers know deep in their hearts that the only way Floyd Jr can win over Pacquaio is through a talking match but never on the ring.

Floyd Jr continues to hang on to his belief that he is the pound for pound king.

But he has more to lose than to gain actually fighting for it.

If there is really a belated offer from Floyd Jr to have the random blood testing moved to no later than14 days before the fight, Manny Pacquiao, Bob Arum and Freddie Roach should scream from the top of their lungs and call the bluff.

Then Floyd Jr will run out of excuses. (Well, almost, he can still agree to a deal then fake an injury.)

As a fan, I have a glimmer of hope that Floyd Jr will become man enough to prove he can recapture the pound for pound title from the little Filipino.

I hate to be suspicious, but Pacman is acting VERY strange. Considering EVERYTHING that Mayweather ceded, Pacman should at least agree to whatever blood testing Mayweather wanted.
    I saw last night that Mayweather said he would go with the 14 days out, but Manny said no. RBB already said the rest of what I was going to say.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    You could also buy into the fairly legitimate idea that this was a whole dog and pony show to build more hype for the fight, and that they were looking to get this done in September regardless. I would say that's also fairly believable.

You could also buy into the fairly legitimate idea that this was a whole dog and pony show to build more hype for the fight, and that they were looking to get this done in September regardless. I would say that's also fairly believable.
    very true. that's a good point, nejar. it wouldn't surprise me at all if these guys were just ****ing with everybody in order to build up even more hype for the eventual fight. i honestly don't see how this fight could not go down at some point. the demand for it is unbelievably high.
    Last edited by RBB; 01-08-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Top Rank's facebook page (yeah, I know, take it with a grain of salt) is reporting that Pacquiao is going to face Joshua Clottey on March 13th. Thoughts?
    Guess not, lol. Though I do take it more seriously now because ESPN was apparently reporting it today and I think Roach is supposed to be talking about it. I think this is better than Pac fighting Yuri Foreman, for what it's worth.

Has Mayweather ever asked another boxer to run through these tests?.
    23 years old
    5' 6"
    153 lbs

Bench: 315
    Deadlift: 400
    Squat: 425

Quote Originally Posted by whatdahell? View Post
    Has Mayweather ever asked another boxer to run through these tests?.
    No, Uncle Roger, Jeff, and Floyd Sr. got into his head about it and that's when he started asking for them. Highly doubt he'd be asking Matthew Hatton (one of his potential opponents if this is really dead) for a blood test.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    They are just taking a page from Vince McMahon and causing all this crap to build up suspense for the fight, the fight is going to happen, they just wanna sell it out, they feel they are getting beat by MMA so they are going overboard with controversy. The fight will happen this year
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    They are just taking a page from Vince McMahon and causing all this crap to build up suspense for the fight, the fight is going to happen, they just wanna sell it out, they feel they are getting beat by MMA so they are going overboard with controversy. The fight will happen this year
    This fight would sell out regardless of the controversy, though. It is quite possibly one of the biggest fights of all time.

extra publicity for one of the biggest fights couldnt hurt boxing in general though with MMA currently being more popular

Yeah, boxing could use the fight in that sense, but at the same time boxing's hardcore fans would pay to see this fight or a much lesser fight, and the promoters, etc., know that. This fight was estimated to make each fighter something like 40-50 million after all is said and done. I just think it's a little too far to say they are trying to hype it so it will sell out. It would've done the biggest numbers of all time without all of the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    No, Uncle Roger, Jeff, and Floyd Sr. got into his head about it and that's when he started asking for them. Highly doubt he'd be asking Matthew Hatton (one of his potential opponents if this is really dead) for a blood test.
    Mayweather is a bitch.
    23 years old
    5' 6"
    153 lbs

Bench: 315
    Deadlift: 400
    Squat: 425

Quote Originally Posted by whatdahell? View Post
    Mayweather is a bitch.
    hahaha, yes, that's what i really should have just said. way to cut straight to the point, whatdahell.

Well, it looks like the fight is definitely off. Pacquiao vs. Clottey appears to be signed and ready to go for March 13th. They are apparently going to be having the kick off press conference on the 18th in Dallas. The fight will be at the new Cowboys Stadium.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24606

Manny just agreed to a blood test 20 days before the Clottey fight.

Manny is a bitch.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

I saw that. I'm with you, in that I think this looks suspicious. Not so much that Pac is on PED's or whatever, but it just makes it seem like he didn't want the fight.

Then again, those on the boxing forums are arguing that this was Pac's way of sticking it to FMJ and kind of saying "I do what I want when I want."

Either way, very interesting.