Thread: Computer problem help!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Computer problem help!

Computer was working fine when I went to bed, now this morning it will only start up in safe mode. I tried a system restore in safe mode but that doesn't work because it says a disc failed. The I did the boot with the last configurations that worked but that just freezes up.

Ideas?!?!
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Not enough information.

What OS? Are you getting a blue screen? If so, what is the stop code? If not, what DOES happen when you try to boot normally?

The most likely scenarios are that you've either got a malware infection or a botched Windows Update.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    No blue screen. When I try to boot normally It takes me all the way to where I enter my password. I enter it then it says welcome and just stays at that screen. I'm running windows vista.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Do you recently install/update anything not windows or microsoft related? Like a printer, video card, sound card...anything?
    When you start the PC, press f8 until it takes you to a boot screen, try "start from last known good configuration" or something of that sort, I don't have it pulled up, so Idk what it says exactly. If that doesn't work try manually starting explorer. At the welcome screen press control+alt+delete then go to task manager, then to file>start new task, type in explorer.exe

It could be something as simple as a driver issue. If you installed something yesterday, uninstall it and see if that works for you. If it does, find a more up to date driver, or find the one compatible with your OS and peripherals. It could be a registry hang up somewhere, if you have a legit copy of vista pop in the cd and fix errors.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Besides the above:

Do you have your comp set to automatically download and install windows updates?

Do you shut down/restart at night or just let it idle?

And again, to reiterate, did you install anything prior to this?

Jesus Christ. Vista.

I'm operating under the assumption you made no system changes because (I hope) you're not stupid enough to leave that out of the original problem description. If you did make a change and neglected to mention it, punch your testicles and then follow the above advice. The fact that you can boot to safe mode tells me that it's probably not Windows itself but either a driver, third party application (MALWAREMALWAREMALWAREMALWARE), or an update to a nonessential windows process (Windows Defender updates do some stupid stuff sometimes). Safe mode bypasses startup of all but essential Windows processes on boot.

Here's how I'd handle it if a customer called with this garbage. After eliminating recent changes as a variable, Boot to Safe Mode With Command Prompt. At the command prompt, change the directory to c:\windows\system32\restore and type rstrui.exe, then Enter. This is effectively running System Restore outside of Windows since the Command Prompt is a standalone application and not a CLI shell anymore.

Anyway, if that fails, I'd run BootRec. It might also be worth running chkdsk /r but I've never had that actually solve any problem and it takes a REALLY long time on modern systems with enormous hard drives. You do need an installation disc so you're screwed if all you have is a manufacturer's restore disc. You need an install disc for Windows proper in order for any of those things to work.

I'm a professional repair tech and, of all the Vista problems I've had to deal with, it's almost always less of a pain in the ass to nuke and pave. Boot to safe mode, back your stuff up to an external hard drive, and wipe the bastard clean.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I'm in agreement with Viking. I'm not a pro tech by occupation, only by certification but of all the computers I help people with, I've always had more luck just backing up all crucial items, then starting over from scratch. You'll more than likely just end up punching yourself in the testicles (after the initial punch if necessary) to forget about the awful paint you're being subjected to.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May