The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sunday training video

some training from sunday. second time in overkill shirt.
    My max raw right now is 275 so I felt pretty good about this
    Video
    Last edited by ct67_72; 01-19-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why bother benching in a shirt if your raw max is only 275 lbs? I really think you should work on your raw bench and get it much closer to 400 lbs before messing with a shirt.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

i was thinking the same thing...

good to see you busting it up in the gym though!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Wannabebig Member
    I have been training in a shirt since my raw bench was only 275; and both raw and equipped numbers have steadily gone up. I have gone from 275 to 405 raw and 335 (single ply) to 605 (multiply) in a little over 3 years. Granted, just hit the 605 in training in a shirt (Overkill) that isn't fully broken in yet, but I will put my money where my mouth is on the platform soon enough.

I guess what I am saying is... I would focus on the raw training and use the shirt to supplement the raw work.
    Last edited by Necrias; 01-19-2010 at 09:11 PM.

why not? my raw bench keeps going up. I train in the shirt before a meet only really. and my shirted bench is now in the 400's
    after my next meet Ill concentrate on my raw bench again till I get ready for the next one. But I do focus on training raw to get my numbers up.
    But I like to compete and theres just no competing with a 275 bench
    Last edited by ct67_72; 01-20-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Nice job Dan!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...et-log-4-19-14

Thanks George! posted it on your site too

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Why bother benching in a shirt if your raw max is only 275 lbs? I really think you should work on your raw bench and get it much closer to 400 lbs before messing with a shirt.
    I see your point Chris but 400lbs is that really necessary? I think a lot of people aren't even capable of reaching that at their natural potential.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

ct,
    Good work bro... You can increase your raw and geared max together regardless of where you start. However, the closer you get to a meet, the more you need to focus on one or the other as you stated.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place!
    RC

Nelson Snyder
    No disrespect but i agree with chris 275@241 your raw bench needs some work.

Im not arguing that. after lifting for a year I think thats pretty good.
    what does it matter anyway? i cant see why it makes any difference if I bench 200 or 400. I work on my raw bench until I train for a meet. so it will keep going up. as will my shirted bench.
    Thanks RC! Im gonna keep doing my thing

Dude your fine..keep training in the shirt...and the person who said ppls cant bench 400 raw are stupid...anyone can do anything(almost) if they train rite and lift long enough...

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    Dude your fine..keep training in the shirt...and the person who said ppls cant bench 400 raw are stupid...anyone can do anything(almost) if they train rite and lift long enough...
    Exactly. Why discourage someone interested in this sport in such a manner? Rich was probably benching in a shirt when he could only bench 225 raw, and now he has a 660+ shirted bench, and 405+ raw.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Lol I don't know how you guys took that as my trying to discourage the op cause at 240 he can definitely hit 400 raw. Not once did I say the op. I said people. There are billions of people fyi .
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Eric there was a pl team at my high school. So I had a shirt on fairly early. It was a blast shirt though. I didnt use a dbl ply shirt till my raw bench was around 315 though. but yes Iv been in shirts for a long time

I started in a shirt when my bench was around 275. Wish I had started earlier because I still really suck in one. Its not like you cant bring up your raw bench if you use a shirt.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

tried to touch today. Third time in the shirt. tried 365, dumped.
    405 to within 1" or so, pressed it
    took 425, touched and pressed.
    The shirt seems to get a little looser everytime I get in it, and a ilttle more comfortable.

I actually trained in the refuge with these guys for seniors when i benched 910 and i can tell you that none of them really listen except ct! i think if he would get outta there and train serious with some guys that know what they are doing we could get that raw and shirted bench up sooner than he thinks!!! keepm working man and if you need some advice get my number from adam
    R.McCRAY The General Of The GUERRILLAPRESS ARMY

Quote Originally Posted by ct67_72 View Post
    tried to touch today. Third time in the shirt. tried 365, dumped.
    405 to within 1" or so, pressed it
    took 425, touched and pressed.
    The shirt seems to get a little looser everytime I get in it, and a ilttle more comfortable.
    The reason we say get the raw bench up is for your healthy and longevity in the sport look at the great shirted benchers or most consistant shirted benchers each one of them have a great raw base. Your shirt bench will always be there but I promise that your joints will appreciate you later for building the muscle need to handle the heavier loads you will be handling.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccray View Post
    I actually trained in the refuge with these guys for seniors when i benched 910 and i can tell you that none of them really listen except ct! i think if he would get outta there and train serious with some guys that know what they are doing we could get that raw and shirted bench up sooner than he thinks!!! keepm working man and if you need some advice get my number from adam

That's funny. If he is the only one who listened to you then why is his raw still stuck between 260 and 275 after a year, while the rest of us have made significant gains? Hmm. Sounds like what works for someone who has been in the sport for years MIGHT not work for someone who is just starting out and needs to learn AND understand the basics! And who wants to listen to someone who is so arrogant and full of themselves that all they know how to do is discourage people instead of encouraging them?

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong51 View Post
    The reason we say get the raw bench up is for your healthy and longevity in the sport look at the great shirted benchers or most consistant shirted benchers each one of them have a great raw base. Your shirt bench will always be there but I promise that your joints will appreciate you later for building the muscle need to handle the heavier loads you will be handling.
    ok, that is a legitimate reason. Thank you.
    Thanks T. Ill keep it in mind.

and for argument sake I started benching at the refuge in february? of last year with a 190 max, after lifting on my own for about 6 months prior
    Last edited by ct67_72; 01-26-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    That didn't look bad man. Keep up the hard training.

[QUOTE=gymdogg21;2282244]That's funny. If he is the only one who listened to you then why is his raw still stuck between 260 and 275 after a year, while the rest of us have made significant gains? Hmm. Sounds like what works for someone who has been in the sport for years MIGHT not work for someone who is just starting out and needs to learn AND understand the basics! And who wants to listen to someone who is so arrogant and full of themselves that all they know how to do is discourage people instead of encouraging them?[/QUOT
    this is your personal feeling because you was the biggest guppy in the pond and then in walked a shark and you felt silly calling yourself superman in my company.. anyways ct you and nick can get my number and shout me out and i will help you out..
    Last edited by rmccray; 01-26-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    R.McCRAY The General Of The GUERRILLAPRESS ARMY

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Rob,
    You should get your facts straight before you start slamming people on here. Also think about who the person is your about to slander. The funny thing is I didn't even write that and it just goes to show that I must be on your mind. I appreciate that! Does slamming people fill that void in your life? You have no baring on my life and your opinions mean nothing to me. You never spoke to me and I never spoke to you. I thought that relationship worked best because I could careless. Just remember I don't scratch my head unless it itches and I don't dance unless I hear music. I do not get intimidated. Hope all is well.

Your friend,
    Nemo

hey good work by the way Sunday Lap, hope to see you again this sunday