Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need bigger arms!

Wannabebig Member

Help! I need bigger arms!

Hi everyone! In an attempt to build bigger arms, I have tried doing bicep curls every alternate days, whereby I would lift 5kg in each arm in 3 sets of 20. However, the effectiveness is not very evident. Should I try increasing the number of curls I am doing every alternate day? Or should I start doing push-ups on top of the bicep curls? How many sets of 15 push-ups should I do? And, most importantly, how much rest time should I allow myself between each set? Thank you for your kind advice in advance!

Read the stickies and do some searches. You're going to have to start training your whole body not just curls and pushups before anyone takes you seriously.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma29 View Post
    Hi everyone! In an attempt to build bigger arms, I have tried doing bicep curls every alternate days, whereby I would lift 5kg in each arm in 3 sets of 20. However, the effectiveness is not very evident. Should I try increasing the number of curls I am doing every alternate day? Or should I start doing push-ups on top of the bicep curls? How many sets of 15 push-ups should I do? And, most importantly, how much rest time should I allow myself between each set? Thank you for your kind advice in advance!
    Im a beginner so take this how you want but its working for me.

IMO I would less reps more weight. Maybe even give your arms some more rest. I do arms once a week.

Biceps

3 sets of standing curls. I normally pick a weight that I land between 10-12 reps. On my last set I try to push a extra rep or two out of it.
    3 sets of alternating curls. """"
    3 sets of wrist curls (forward and back) - Normally around 15

Triceps
    2-3 sets of tricep extensions - same as above, try to land on a weight between 10-12 reps.
    2-3 sets of straight bar cable pull downs
    2 sets of close grip push ups until failer
    3 sets of dips until failure

I give my self 45secs - 2 mins between sets.

Sometimes I will throw in shoulders, but Im usually dead after this.

This has worked for me so far, I have also upped my protein intake (with food) and started taking creatine shortly before starting this routine.

Edit: Like what was said above, you need to do other exercises as well for your entire body. Otherwise you will look funny
    Last edited by ffkjj; 12-29-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ffkjj View Post

IMO I would less reps more weight. Maybe even give your arms some more rest. I do arms once a week.

Biceps

3 sets of standing curls. I normally pick a weight that I land between 10-12 reps. On my last set I try to push a extra rep or two out of it.

Triceps
    2-3 sets of tricep extensions - same as above, try to land on a weight between 10-12 reps.

This has worked for me so far, I have also upped my protein intake (with food) and started taking creatine shortly before starting this routine.

Edit: Like what was said above, you need to do other exercises as well for your entire body. Otherwise you will look funny
    Not just look funny. But anyone who is stupid enough to only work their arms will never stick with lifting or give lifting the attention and effort it takes to actually grow big arms.

Enigma29 - I'm not calling you stupid. But someone who continually endeavors to just build their arms without any knowledge of lifting (because they're only working their arms) would be stupid. So don't be that guy. Read a lot, start educating yourself and ask questions when you don't understand something, not when you just want to know something. The latter people will never get taken seriously nor nobody really care to help them because they're lazy.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Banned
    Im thinking this is a Bot or a Troll based on his two posts.

The way to grow bigger muscle tissue is to get stronger, not "pump up."

You have to TELL your muscles to grow, or they won't waste the valuable energy. If you are constantly making them do things that they are already capable of, they have no reason to grow. Always try to lift heavier and heavier weights. Onj top of that, you have to give them the required nutrients to support that growth. If they don't have a little extra food to grow on, they won't.

You can get bigger arms by curling and doing some triceps exercises, but there is a limit to how much they will grow. the body will not grow out of proportion!!! You just don't see guys with truly amazing arms and skinny bodies. You will have to work your entire body in order to maximize the growth potential in the arms. Start by reading the stickies and you'll get a better idea of what will be required to achieve your goals.

And welcome to WannaBeBig. We will try to help you as much as we can along the way...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If you are looking to build muscle you should train in the 5-12 rep range rather than performing sets of 20.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

21's.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Hi everyone! In an attempt to build bigger arms, I have tried doing bicep curls every alternate days, whereby I would lift 5kg in each arm in 3 sets of 20. Thank you for your kind advice in advance!
    You are overtraining biceps. Too many reps too often. What do you do for triceps? Triceps is 2/3 of your arm size.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    21's.
    I think 21's are great for an arm pump, but I've never known anyone who developed 20 inch arms from them. Most people I know who do 21's "regularly," never get over 16 inch arms.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    If you want bigger arms... train your chest and back hard and correctly with mainly barbell compound exercises. Be sure to train your legs as well. Eat enough to ensure tissue growth. Get plenty of rest and recuperation. When you have gained 50 lbs then your arms will be bigger.

I think you are Brian205 with a new name arnt you.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
    I think 21's are great for an arm pump, but I've never known anyone who developed 20 inch arms from them. Most people I know who do 21's "regularly," never get over 16 inch arms.
    We all know this on here, but this answer, 21's, is the one guys like this want to hear. Best to just respond as so and move on. The members who stick around will quickly learn there are much better ways.

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Im thinking this is a Bot or a Troll based on his two posts.
    And I am guessing you know nothing about bots. Check both posts. They're DIFFERENT. I am neither a bot nor a troll; I am a kid with a laggy phone, which I used to post my threads. Which explains my double posting.
    Last edited by Enigma29; 12-29-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I think you are Brian205 with a new name arnt you.
    er nope. Sorry, but I have never heard of that user before.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Read the stickies and do some searches. You're going to have to start training your whole body not just curls and pushups before anyone takes you seriously.
    Oookay, that was harsh but kind. Thank you for your advice. =D By the way, I'm trying to buff up my arms because my torso seems way bigger than my arms. So, in your words, I already 'look funny' and 'stupid'. I aim to build bigger arms to bring my body back into proportion first, before I start training the other areas.
    Last edited by Enigma29; 12-29-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Oookay, that was harsh but kind. Thank you for your advice. =D
    It's the plain truth, if you search a question like yours you'll see it gets asked all the time and in all reality it's a pretty silly question to begin with. We're here to help, and while I can't speak for others, I know I get personal gratification out it when newer members get on track to making big changes and start to do so.

Seriously, read a couple of the stickies that interest you and search a few things that are pertinent to what you're trying to do. I for one will be glad to help if there's something you don't understand or want an opinion on something or what-have-you. If you think it's silly and don't want to post it feel free to PM me too.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ffkjj View Post

Biceps

Triceps

Wow, thank you! This workout looks pretty workable. I am a beginner as well, so this should be effective for me. Thank you for sharing

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    It's the plain truth, if you search a question like yours you'll see it gets asked all the time and in all reality it's a pretty silly question to begin with. We're here to help, and while I can't speak for others, I know I get personal gratification out it when newer members get on track to making big changes and start to do so.

Seriously, read a couple of the stickies that interest you and search a few things that are pertinent to what you're trying to do. I for one will be glad to help if there's something you don't understand or want an opinion on something or what-have-you. If you think it's silly and don't want to post it feel free to PM me too.
    Wow, thank you! This workout looks pretty workable. I am a beginner as well, so this should be effective for me. Thank you for sharing
    :sigh:

Can I ask you something? Why would you listen to another beginner over a guy who is absolutely jacked, has years of bodybuilding experience, and is a moderator on this forum? Read the stickies and realize that you are never going to look impressive unless you train your entire body with gut-busting intensity. You want a kick-***** pair of arms? Jump on the HCT-12 program on this site and watch yourself grow.

The idea that you are trying to train your arms first to get them more in proportion to the rest of your body is not a good one at your level of experience. Specialty work should be left until you've built a solid base of muscle. You aren't there yet.

Shoot...I forgot about 21s...definitely do the 21s.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    :sigh:

Can I ask you something? Why would you listen to another beginner over a guy who is absolutely jacked, has years of bodybuilding experience, and is a moderator on this forum? Read the stickies and realize that you are never going to look impressive unless you train your entire body with gut-busting intensity. You want a kick-***** pair of arms? Jump on the HCT-12 program on this site and watch yourself grow.

The idea that you are trying to train your arms first to get them more in proportion to the rest of your body is not a good one at your level of experience. Specialty work should be left until you've built a solid base of muscle. You aren't there yet.
    . I understand that due to my inadequate knowledge and experience, I have yet to build a solid muscle base. In that case, what would you recommend that newbies like me do to forge this base? Can the HCT-12 programme help me build my muscle base, or is there another more productive routine you would suggest, considering that I am new at this? Thank you for your reply and for sharing you knowledge.
    Last edited by Enigma29; 12-30-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Hmmm I still think you are Brian 205 or his brother perhaps.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Shoot...I forgot about 21s...definitely do the 21s.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

House Lannister
    . I understand that due to my inadequate knowledge and experience, I have yet to build a solid muscle base. In that case, what would you recommend that newbies like me do to forge this base? Can the HCT-12 programme help me build my muscle base, or is there another more productive routine you would suggest, considering that I am new at this? Thank you for your reply and for sharing you knowledge.
    HCT-12 would be fine, as would Madcow 5x5, Starting Strength, even some of the older WBB Routines. I personally am doing something very similar to WBB TOR right now.

The key is to be consistent and add weight to the bar when you can. Your goal should be to outperform either the number of repetitions you did last session or the amount of weight you did previously. Its okay if you cannot perform the same amount of repetitions when you move up to a heavier weight. Just slowly work up until you hit a certain amount of reps (I think WBB TOR says 6-8 reps for most exercises), and then add weight again.

If I were you I'd look at WBB TOR above. It has a shoulders+arms day in there and it's a little more focused on hypertrophy than 5x5 or SS. HCT-12 would be fine too.

Just a FYI thats just 1 day of training (which is tomorrow yah!) As much fun as it feels to have your arms feel like there pumped I love that feeling in my back, chest and legs as well.

You need to do chest , back, shoulders, legs as well. All these things will help your arms grow. Sorry I kind of assumed you already had the rest of your routine down.

I also have a lot bigger legs then my arms. I am deadlifting and squatting the same weight if not more then guys that have been working out for a 1-2 years. But they can bench ALOT more then me.

Doesn't mean im going to quit legs/back just because I feel there pretty strong already. I need to keep them growing to help my upper body grow as well. Eventually my upper body will catch up.

Just don't look like this!