Thread: Sprinting and Weights

Sprinting and Weights

Hi guys!

On HCT-12, dropping down to three day from four day routine.

Recovering from hurting my back and tbh I just don't feel the Sat workouts straight after the Fri.

I'd like to up my sprint, so I think that's what I'll be doing on Sats.

Does anyone have any experience with Sprinting and have any tips? I've not sprinted much since school, so a good few years. Much rather sprint than do any long distance running, as I don't want to impact my weights.

And are there any exercises I can add into my weights to help with the sprinting, or is squats more than enough?

Cheers guys.

Banned
    Start out gradually, because you'll be SORE.... I'd start with a pretty low volume, (maybe 10-15 total sprints) and moderate intensity (maybe 80% of your top speed). Also, a walking start of jogging start is easier than an all out start. And the decceleration at the end can be modified in a similar manner.

Im not too sure on exercises to improve sprints. Maybe plyometrics? What specifically are you trying to get better at sprints for?

No particular reason, if I'm honest Dan.

I just feel that if I'm making an effort to get as strong as I can, I'd also like to get as fast as I can.

Feels more 'well rounded' if you catch my drift.

And from looking at pro-sprinters, it doesn't seem to effect muscle building as they're all brick-*****houses, haha!

Just be careful. There were many contributing factors... but I injured what I believe to be my meniscus in my right knee as well as severaly straining all my hamstring tendons last summer doing some all out HIIT sprints. The ham tendons took probably 2 or more months to recover and the meniscus never has, though I'm now working through it. Funny that I went many, many years without any real debilitating injury and my biggest and worst one to date was from doing sprints. So don't take them lightly and be stupid about them like I did. Warm up real good, stretch, don't do them 2 days after a heavy leg day with compound lifts you haven't used in years

And do them on a cushioned track if you have access to one, my knees don't like me either from squatting/running.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-29-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Thanks for the warning Behemoth, mate! I'll take everything you said into consideration.

My knees have been aching a bit lately, blaming it on the cold and really slacking on the fish oil.

I'll warm up very thoroughly. I'll be running on grass, in the local park, so shouldn't be as harsh on the joints as running on track.

The grass might not be such a good idea either. If there is some kind of hole or ditch you hit the wrong way it could be big trouble. A cushioned track would be best. Also consider a hardwood basketball court.

Banned
    Hill sprints would be better IMO

House Lannister
    I used to do a some short but intense sprints last year. It's definitely a ton of fun but I found it to be way too much work for my hamstrings to squat, deadlift (or variation), and sprint. One of those was going to suffer big time, and it always seemed to be my weightlifting and not my sprinting.

I'd follow Fanelli's advice on starting out slow. I'd get a decent pair of track trainers also. Seem to make a big difference in sprinting form. I love my Puma Saloh's for this purpose.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I used to do a some short but intense sprints last year. It's definitely a ton of fun but I found it to be way too much work for my hamstrings to squat, deadlift (or variation), and sprint. One of those was going to suffer big time, and it always seemed to be my weightlifting and not my sprinting.

I'd follow Fanelli's advice on starting out slow. I'd get a decent pair of track trainers also. Seem to make a big difference in sprinting form. I love my Puma Saloh's for this purpose.
    I agree start slow. With the proper programming you can progress Squat, DL and sprints all at the same time. I'm still progressing in all 3 quite a bit.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Awesome, thanks for all the advice everyone!

I certainly don't want my squats and DLs to suffer, so I'll deffo start out slow.

Sprinters and athletes that depend on those fast twitch muscles typically have extremely good strength to weight ratios. You don't want to worry about mass as much as you should be worrying about strength if you want to be fast. Now, you obviously need some very strong muscle regardless, so try to make the end result look more like the pro sprinters instead of the pro bodybuilders if that makes sense.

Plyometrics help increase your power and they're used for virtually every sport for this reason. With more power you can use more force to push off the ground in a shorter amount of time, which makes you faster. I read a book about the whole science of this but that's basically what you need to know haha. The shorter amount of time part is key though. Bodybuilders and powerlifters can definitely generate plenty of force, probably more than most sprinters when it comes to something like leg strength. The drawbacks to the bodybuilders/powerlifters is that they can't activate their muscles nearly as fast as the pro sprintes, and even if they can they have to haul around a lot more weight so they're still not nearly as fast (although they can be quite fast compared to the average joe).

Just focus on getting as strong as possible while staying very lean and keep doing the sprint work. Your speed will come. Everything the guys are saying about starting slow is a good idea too. Injuries suck and they can take you out of your routine for months, you don't want that haha.

I really enjoy hill sprints.

It may be prudent to do some sprint technique research and some sprint focused mobility training.

Working on your hip flexor, hamstring, and ankle dorsiflexion will go a long way in keeping you injury free.

Learn how to cycle properly, get a full split with your arms, and keep your ankle dorsiflexed allowing your big toe to cycle above your knee. If that makes no sense, do some research and watch some videos to figure it out.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Sprinters and athletes that depend on those fast twitch muscles typically have extremely good strength to weight ratios. You don't want to worry about mass as much as you should be worrying about strength if you want to be fast. Now, you obviously need some very strong muscle regardless, so try to make the end result look more like the pro sprinters instead of the pro bodybuilders if that makes sense.

Plyometrics help increase your power and they're used for virtually every sport for this reason. With more power you can use more force to push off the ground in a shorter amount of time, which makes you faster. I read a book about the whole science of this but that's basically what you need to know haha. The shorter amount of time part is key though. Bodybuilders and powerlifters can definitely generate plenty of force, probably more than most sprinters when it comes to something like leg strength. The drawbacks to the bodybuilders/powerlifters is that they can't activate their muscles nearly as fast as the pro sprintes, and even if they can they have to haul around a lot more weight so they're still not nearly as fast (although they can be quite fast compared to the average joe).

Just focus on getting as strong as possible while staying very lean and keep doing the sprint work. Your speed will come. Everything the guys are saying about starting slow is a good idea too. Injuries suck and they can take you out of your routine for months, you don't want that haha.
    Now that is well said!