Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Article: Leave Lat Pull-Down Land and Build A Bigger Back!

New Article: Leave Lat Pull-Down Land and Build A Bigger Back!

Leave Lat Pull-Down Land and Build A Bigger Back by Craig Weller

Latching onto a bar with your full bodyweight in tow can be humbling experience. This is why many people end up getting stuck in Lat Pull-down Land, and fail to ever perform a single set of double-digit pull-ups.

We're here to change that. We provide you with a routine which will DOUBLE your reps on Pull Ups and get you on the road to building a wider, more muscular back.

Just one question remains... Are you up for the challenge?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

i really like the idea of doing weighted singles with 10-15seconds rest betweet. thatll keep form perfect and make sure rom is full...good article
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

get article daniel, i need to start doing my chins again. i have not done them since i tore my bicep last year. great over all exercise for your back!!! thanks !!!!!!!
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

That was a good article. I may have to try that since my chin-ups are in single digits.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

awesome article! i work out in my basement and i have a power rack.. unfortunately, the ceilings are approx 7 ft so the to top of the power rack that has a straight bar for pull-up and chin-ups clears the ceiling by a couple inches so i cannot do the exercises properly

have any of you built your own bar around the house or can i buy a piece of equipment with a lower bar strictly for these exercises?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Body Fat around 12%
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Chest: 38"

Bench Press: 225 x 10 reps and 275 pounds x 1 rep
    Deadlift: 405 pounds x 1 rep
    Squat: 335 pounds x 3 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That was a good article. I may have to try that since my chin-ups are in single digits.
    Mine are also single digit - 0. I can not do a single pull up. I got some bands so I am going to begin by using assistance and work on up to weighted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    Mine are also single digit - 0. I can not do a single pull up. I got some bands so I am going to begin by using assistance and work on up to weighted.
    This has really worked for me. 4 months ago I was 0 body weight, but after a few months of band assisted I am able to do 5-6 BW for good clean reps.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by charles_316 View Post
    awesome article! i work out in my basement and i have a power rack.. unfortunately, the ceilings are approx 7 ft so the to top of the power rack that has a straight bar for pull-up and chin-ups clears the ceiling by a couple inches so i cannot do the exercises properly

have any of you built your own bar around the house or can i buy a piece of equipment with a lower bar strictly for these exercises?
    The Iron Gym and some similar products have multiple different grips and are pretty sturdy for the price ($25-30).

Another option would be to go to a local playground and do chins on the monkey bars.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member

You could also try hanging rings or blast straps off your power rack. You'll end up having to bend your knees at the bottom, which is annoying, but it's better than nothing.

Also, like someone else said, I know of a few people who have the "perfect pullup" bar or something similar and like it. Pretty sure the perfect pullup one has rotating handles, which is good for the wrists.

Another option would be to suspend your feet somehow and do "lean away chins" so that your body is at about a 45 degree angle to the bar at the top of the movement. This changes the emphasis somewhat and hits the upper back to a greater degree than standard vertical chins (halfway between vertical and horizontal pulling) and keeps your head/face further away from the ceiling at the top. You can do it by either just actively leaning back and extending the thoracic and cervical spine at the top (keep the abs braced to prevent lumbar extension) or by actually elevating your feet on something.

Wannabebig Member
    Great Article, quality singles or doubles are better than a sloppy set or two of 8 reps. I usually get into the groove around the 4th set or so. I have recently started doing thick bar suspended chin-ups for sets of one. I perform these by wrapping around my black set of heavy bands around a pull-up bar and then insert a thick bar througfh the folds. Defintely makes the sets harder and forces me get tight and pull hard and fast.

Cheers

Cool article. Pullups are a staple in my routine(s). I love them!
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    With the two workouts, is one workout done one day and the other a few days later? So in this scheme you only do chins/pull-ups once a week?

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    Great article. I have been doing chins and pullups, with some assistance, but have not really focused on developing them. It is time to get serious about them.
    Last edited by bamazav; 12-08-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    With the two workouts, is one workout done one day and the other a few days later? So in this scheme you only do chins/pull-ups once a week?
    Right, you're doing heavy vertical pulling once per week, and heavy horizontal pulling once per week. That doesn't take into consideration anything else you're doing in your routine. If you're looking for higher frequency you can experiment with that but keep structural balance and recovery capacity in mind.

LuNa
    I have been doing these for a month now and they are great. Im stuck at 2 per set. I will definitely give this try. Great article.

Wannabebig Member
    Good article, i've gotta move onto those.

Have you ever tried rack chins? All you need is something to prop your legs up on, added weight is optional.

Video
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I do rack chins now. Is the single arm eccentric something a beginner should worry about, or should I just stick to the basics?
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Weller View Post
    Right, you're doing heavy vertical pulling once per week, and heavy horizontal pulling once per week. That doesn't take into consideration anything else you're doing in your routine. If you're looking for higher frequency you can experiment with that but keep structural balance and recovery capacity in mind.
    You know I may well start doing this exactly as you prescribe after Christmas. I've never done better than about 7 good pull-ups and 11-12 chins. It'd be really good to get to a solid 15 pull-ups and its about time I stopped blaming my long arms and height.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    I do rack chins now. Is the single arm eccentric something a beginner should worry about, or should I just stick to the basics?
    It depends on where your strength to weight ratio is at. If you can do them and slow your descent, keeping under control, then you'll be fine.

If it's more like a freefall to the bottom, stick with other stuff to build strength for a while.

For those who cannot perform a chin up or pullup you can try fatman pullups or chinups, you can also do them band assisted. I used to be good at pullups until I tore both biceps. Now if I try to do them without asdsistance they tear my biceps apart. They are such a great part of back work. I'm glad I found a way to incorporate them again.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Body Fat around 12%
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Chest: 38"

Bench Press: 225 x 10 reps and 275 pounds x 1 rep
    Deadlift: 405 pounds x 1 rep
    Squat: 335 pounds x 3 reps

I really need to start doing these as lat work. Maybe double my reps from 1 to 2 haha...
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Soilwork addict.
    I was supersetting lat pulldowns with flat bench for the last 8 weeks or so.

Today I gave this a try. I did pullups instead of chinups but I completed it.

That being said, I normally superset decline bench with t bar rows but went with bent over lateral raises today after reading some stuff around here. Should I still worry about doing the rows that the program suggests? I really dig the bent over lateral raises.

Also, should I strap some weight on next week for the pullups or should I raise the reps per set? I am not used to thinking within the confines of 25 sets of a single exersise lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    I was supersetting lat pulldowns with flat bench for the last 8 weeks or so.

Today I gave this a try. I did pullups instead of chinups but I completed it.

That being said, I normally superset decline bench with t bar rows but went with bent over lateral raises today after reading some stuff around here. Should I still worry about doing the rows that the program suggests? I really dig the bent over lateral raises.

Also, should I strap some weight on next week for the pullups or should I raise the reps per set? I am not used to thinking within the confines of 25 sets of a single exersise lol.
    Add weight if you can but make sure you're focused on quality reps. Fast with a clean scapular retraction at the top.

Do the rows.