The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Shoulder probs. interfering w/ bench press

I've always struggled to progress most with bench press, and now I'm 99% certain it's because of my right shoulder. When I do a windmill stretch with a 5 pound weight in each hand my right shoulder pops / cracks a couple times on each rotation, but my left shoulder is smooth as glass... that's probably the easiest way I can think of to describe the issue. I've always gotten the impression that it was weaker than my left arm but never did much about it.

I'm not sure why my right shoulder is a problem since I've never injured it in any way and I didn't do anything like tennis / baseball / football that could have strained it. The only thing I can think of is maybe surfing but then it'd be both shoulders.

I'll probably try to see some kind of physical therapist when I get a chance, but has anyone ever experienced this and had success treating it with daily stretching or anything?
    Last edited by Janosik; 12-08-2009 at 10:11 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    x2. my workout partner has the same problem. would like to no!!!
    weight 158

max:
    bench: 225x1
    squat: 300x1
    leg press: 640x10
    deadlift:330x10

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Janosik View Post
    I've always struggled to progress most with bench press, and now I'm 99% certain it's because of my right shoulder. When I do a windmill stretch with a 5 pound weight in each hand my right shoulder pops / cracks a couple times on each rotation, but my left shoulder is smooth as glass... that's probably the easiest way I can think of to describe the issue. I've always gotten the impression that it was weaker than my left arm but never did much about it.

I'm not sure why my right shoulder is a problem since I've never injured it in any way and I didn't do anything like tennis / baseball / football that could have strained it. The only thing I can think of is maybe surfing but then it'd be both shoulders.

I'll probably try to see some kind of physical therapist when I get a chance, but has anyone ever experienced this and had success treating it with daily stretching or anything?
    I have/had similar problems. My presses are fairly weak and i am pretty sure it is because of a shoulder imbalance. My left shoulder is slightly larger than my right (or so it seems) but seems to be weaker. What i have been doing for a while now (after i started to hurt) is YMTL stretches twice a day. Each stretch is held for 25-30 seconds. I also perform three sets of 15 reps with 3kg (6lbs) of shoulder horns on my pressing days.

The shoulder horn is discussed here. It also shows how you can perform it without buying the equipment.

Since i have been doing both my left shoulder feels much better and isnt sore anymore.

Banned
    I'm no expert by any means as I've only been lifting for around 3.5 months, but, at least for my body, there is a clear difference between the barbell bench press and the dumbbell bench press, in the sense that the barbell bench press places a lot more stress on my shoulders than the same exercise with dumbbells. So if barbell bench press poses too much of a problem for your shoulders, you might be interested in replacing it with the dumbbell bench press.
    Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by dsb; 12-09-2009 at 07:46 AM.