The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Making hands stronger?

Hi everyone,

I've just done the WPC worlds and found out my hands are too weak, both in terms of grip strength (I thought it was ok) but more evidently my actual skin strength.

My third pull literally ripped two massive chunks off my left hand causing me to drop the bar almost at lockout. It's growing some skin over now but it's a little thin still.

Any tips to toughen up my palms?

Also what grip work do you guys find most useful for deadlifting?

Cheers

Martin
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727

Best Total - 2204 lbs @ 226 18/07/2010

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Do you currently perform any grip work? If not then that's pretty amazing if you made it all the way to a 700lb pull without it. Strong dude!

Bag of rice
    Box of rock salt

Throw them together in a large bowl.

Several times a day squeeze the mixture together in your palms and do it hard, literally grinding it up in your palms.

It works great for grip strength, and toughens the hell out of your skin without causing callouses, which will rip off later.

How did you do at Worlds Martin?
    Last edited by Beverly McD.; 12-09-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Do you currently perform any grip work? If not then that's pretty amazing if you made it all the way to a 700lb pull without it. Strong dude!
    No I haven' to be honest. I've never felt the need until now. I have only been training for this for two years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    Bag of rice
    Box of rock salt

Several times a day squeeze the mixture together in your palms and do it hard, literally grinding it up in your palms.

It works great for grip strength, and toughens the hell out of your skin without causing callouses, which will rip off later.

How did you do at Worlds Martin?
    Thanks. I shall give it a try. My skin is pretty weak and usually get callouses and have to cut/file them down so hopefully this will stop it happening.

I didn't have a great day to be honest. Placed second behind Andrey Belyaev in the 220 class. The platform/bar was springy as hell and threw alot of big squatters out, I messed my easy opener up and was forced to take another fairly light attempt (838) and took 881 on my third, which I failed 2-1 due to what the centre ref said was re-racking before the command. I was a little annoyed as I felt like I could have gone over 900. But not to be on the day.

Had two attempts on bench due to shoulder and wrist problems but hit a 5lb pr of 535 so was pleased with that considering I haven't benched much in the build up.

I pulled 705 on my second to make sure I was second place and then dropped 720 at lockout when my palm ripped.

It was a great contest and a great experience for me, but I am looking forward to getting back on the platform next year to hit a better total and bigger squat.
    Last edited by martin; 12-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727

Iron4Life
    If your are hands are not "tough" enough... there are a few of things to consider...

1. don't use lotions... they soften the hands.. making them less tough..
    2. file down your callous.. but not too much, just so they don't tear.. too big and they tear.. too small and you loose a little grip and protection... try something called a "Ped-Egg".. you can get them at Walmart/Target/Pharmacy... although I've heard others use cheese graters... or just a file ...
    3. I've heard of success with a substance called Friar's Balsam.. it toughens the skin...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tincture_of_benzoin
    4. there are stories about baseball and football players who pee on their hands.. something with the ammonia breaking down dead skin.. http://www.slate.com/id/2100652/ .. http://realizebeauty.wordpress.com/2...ot-be-all-bad/
    5. make sure you use lots of chalk... and grip the bar as tight as possible... sounds dumb or obvious... but sometimes we get a little lazy and forget our steps... when your hands slip on the bar, this is what tends to rip callouses...
    Last edited by Bob; 12-09-2009 at 08:05 PM.

martin,
    Static holds w/ the a heavy fat-bar work well... Also, for crushing grip, cant beat CoC grippers(captains of crush)Or Ivanko gripper is a great tool for grip work also. I do them along w/ forearm work twice a week.

Definitely helped me hold onto the bar w/ hvy. DL's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    martin,
    Static holds w/ the a heavy fat-bar work well... Also, for crushing grip, cant beat CoC grippers(captains of crush)Or Ivanko gripper is a great tool for grip work also. I do them along w/ forearm work twice a week.

Santa is going to bring me some grip tools for xmas, but I cant decide on the Ivanko tool or the CoC grippers. What do you like best?

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    No I haven' to be honest. I've never felt the need until now. I have only been training for this for two years though.

Thanks. I shall give it a try. My skin is pretty weak and usually get callouses and have to cut/file them down so hopefully this will stop it happening.

I didn't have a great day to be honest. Placed second behind Andrey Belyaev in the 220 class. The platform/bar was springy as hell and threw alot of big squatters out, I messed my easy opener up and was forced to take another fairly light attempt (838) and took 881 on my third, which I failed 2-1 due to what the centre ref said was re-racking before the command. I was a little annoyed as I felt like I could have gone over 900. But not to be on the day.

Had two attempts on bench due to shoulder and wrist problems but hit a 5lb pr of 535 so was pleased with that considering I haven't benched much in the build up.

I pulled 705 on my second to make sure I was second place and then dropped 720 at lockout when my palm ripped.

It was a great contest and a great experience for me, but I am looking forward to getting back on the platform next year to hit a better total and bigger squat.
    We have an 800+ puller at our gym. (Mike Griffin) His hands used to tear out at @ 600, then @ 700, and now they tear out about 825 or so. The rice/salt combo has helped him a lot. Hopefully it'll help some more LOL.

Hate you didn't have the day you wanted, but 2nd at Worlds is still something to be proud of. I heard the platform was springy, and a ton of lifters lost control of the weight on the break-out. Congratulations on a PR bench! Especially impressive since a rough squat round can take a toll mentally and physically.

Bag of rice
    Box of rock salt

Cool Idea right now I use heavy grippers to help my grip but I think I will give this a try soon as well. Thanks Beverly.
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

Hey man nice job getting second at worlds. Maybe i'll see you there next year. Are you a junior?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    martin,

I'm always interested in this topic because with the structure of my hands (ridiculously short, thick fingers, thick meaty hands), my grip pretty much sucks.

I've got the COC's and I've tried working with them diligently. What I found out was that I could close the COC, but I still couldn't hold onto a deadlift bar unless I got things set absolutely perfectly. I haven't tried working with a fat bar yet, but I'm thinking thats the next step in addition to more static hold work. Has anyone tried the Fat Gripz from Elitefts? Are they worth it?
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Nolan Ryan and other fireballers would soak their fingers in pickle juice to prevent blisters on the tips of his fingers. Ryan swore by it. Maybe it had a toughening effect on the skin? Maybe worth looking into.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

my hands used to lose weights until i did the kta gripper program it was such an intense program that i've never lost anything since. honestly everything else gives out on me before my hands. also since doing the program which is very tough i haven't needed to touch a gripper to still close the number 3, so i'm guessing that not using straps helps maintain atleast 90% of the gains.

We have an 800+ puller at our gym. (Mike Griffin) His hands used to tear out at @ 600, then @ 700, and now they tear out about 825 or so. The rice/salt combo has helped him a lot. Hopefully it'll help some more LOL.

Hate you didn't have the day you wanted, but 2nd at Worlds is still something to be proud of. I heard the platform was springy, and a ton of lifters lost control of the weight on the break-out. Congratulations on a PR bench! Especially impressive since a rough squat round can take a toll mentally and physically.
    Yeah thanks man. I'm giving it a go. Maybe 800 will be on the cards next year for me lol.

It was good competing, just the first time I have done a meet where I didn't get what I expected out from it. It's all valuable experience for me though, and I'm hungry to hit some big weights in the gym in preparation for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Hey man nice job getting second at worlds. Maybe i'll see you there next year. Are you a junior?
    Cheers. Yeah I hope to do it next year as long as all goes well. It's in Finland, which will be way cold in November!

Im not a jr sadly, open mens. I'm not sure what weight I'll be at this next year either, think my body wants to grow and trying to stop it is probably stopping progress.

M
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727

Martin,
    Definitely CoC, however, the Ivanko is more versitile and adjustable...

i like the vulcan adjustable gripper. closes just like coc.

grip

I've been using the @ 1-2 IRONMIND GRIPPERS along with spraying my hands with stickum and doing static holds as long as I can. I've found that has helped me alot..