Thread: Pasta with sauce alternative (help)

Transformation underway Jason_5251's Avatar

Pasta with sauce alternative (help)

Within the last couple of weeks I have been revising 35 years of bad eating. This leads me to a question that is important to me.

Whole wheat pasta- I have never been a tomato sauce fan, I will eat it, but would prefer a different topping. I used to put.....butter...on mine during my careless years. lol

Do you guys/girls have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Other than butter and/or cheese, which would pretty much defeat the purpose LOL, I can't think of anything.
    You may want to forget about the pasta and substitute something more appealing to you.

Thanks for the response, I was afraid of your answer and I guess your wright! But I think I may have thought of something....I will try to concocted a pasta salad of sorts w/ grilled chicken, salmon or steak and raw spinach and play with the olive oil and various seasonings. Thanks for spurring a thought! lol

If it's good let us know

The difference between whole wheat and white pasta is so negligble I would eat whatever you think taste better. Whole wheat may have a bit more fiber. You can get higher protein pastas if you must have pasta. Honestly I pretty much completely avoid it.
    Nick V

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    The difference between whole wheat and white pasta is so negligble I would eat whatever you think taste better. Whole wheat may have a bit more fiber. You can get higher protein pastas if you must have pasta. Honestly I pretty much completely avoid it.
    Seconded.

It's way too easy to over-indulge on pasta.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Thanks all, I think I like the "I pretty much completely avoid it" answer the best! I have never been a pasta fan. I will find something else to substitute it for.

A few pumps of zero calorie "I Cant Believe Its Not Butter" spray and some light grated parmesan-romano.

If desired, add chopped chicken breast and some Mrs. Dash no salt zero cal seasoning.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Here's one way that I prepare pasta:

Strain the pasta and immediately drizzle some olive oil over top. Sprinkle some salt, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash Original Blend, and, if you have any, fresh chopped parsley. Toss and enjoy.

Banned
    This is against the grain of this thread, but the fact that its so easy to eat a lot of pasta makes it an amazing food when trying to gain weight.

If you're a real hardgainer with no bodyfat and need 5000 calories then two enormous bowls of pasta will really help get you there.

A little olive oil and loads of raw spinach is good if you don't want the sauce.

Pesto!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I'm Italian by descent and could not live a healthy life without pasta and bread (at least mentally).

I don't understand the bad rap it's getting here. Most high-protein, high calorie diets include high carbohydrate. Good thing about pasta is that it's all glucose, no fructose, so you're getting healthy carbs. Yeah, you'll get more fiber in whole wheat pasta, but as others have mentioned, the fiber content difference isn't great.

And what's so wrong with some butter and cheese drizzled over it? It's not like you're frying it or putting syrup on it.

If you're concerned with having a lower carb diet, then just eat pasta at times when your body needs it most (carb loading and post workout).

Enjoy the good, healthy food that years of culinary tradition has brought us!