The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

quick quick question about raw eggs

How many raw eggs are a good amount to eat for breakfeast along with a single piece of fruit? Also, is it cool to eat em late at night?

I read a lot of conflicting information and am confused. Currently i'm 190 lbs and eat six in the morning and thats all. I'd like to eat more in the morning if it's safe but my girlfriend seems to think i'll have heart palpatations or something i dunno. thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Firstly, there's nothing wrong with eating eggs late at night.

What are your goals? Why do you choose to eat them raw as opposed to cooking them?

I would say zero. There is no point in eating raw eggs. The protein has better bioavailbility when cooked and no risk of getting sick.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    The protein has better bioavailbility when cooked.
    Why is that?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    The protein in egg albumin digests more easily when denatured. I'm sure I read somewhere that studies showed raw eggs were less than half as nutritious raw compared to cooked.

But I admit that all of these "I heard of a study" things can sound a bit dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    The protein in egg albumin digests more easily when denatured. I'm sure I read somewhere that studies showed raw eggs were less than half as nutritious raw compared to cooked.
    Thanks...I've never heard that before.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Ive been eating them because of a web article i read. I have the site but i cant post links though lol.

My goals are to get bigger but to look a little healthier. Got some serious love handle action going on. I am very limited time-wise so i dont cook too much. I'll give you a break down of what i eat(partially came up with this with help from this site).

breakfeast/preworkout: 6 raw eggs, piece of fruit
    post workout: Whey protein shake, turkey sandwich on wheat bread with mustard and lettuce STACKED with turkey(10+ slices) and lettuce

Then i go to work and cant refrigerate anything so . . .

work meal one: small bag of beef jerky and two apples
    work meal two: 3 rice cakes and large bag of dried fruit trrail mix
    work meal three: almonds in a lil baggie

When i get home: one to two large chicken breast, yogurt, can of black beans

before beddtime: Cassein protein and green beans(usually but sometimes a different veggie)

Don't know the exact calorie count.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    I would say zero. There is no point in eating raw eggs. The protein has better bioavailbility when cooked and no risk of getting sick.
    This.
    Although your chances of developing salmonella are small, it's still a possibility, and food poisoning absolutely sucks.

"I don't have time to______" is an excuse that doesn't really garner much sympathy around here. Throw some eggs in a pot at night, it takes 10 minutes.

Also, if you really are pressed for time, cook in large quantities and use your freezer.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I wasnt aiming to get sympathy. Just the truth. Also, i dislike cooking to compound with my limited time for it.

Anyway, so if i wanted to eat say . . . ten eggs for breakfeast and a couple at work or at night would that give me a heart attack or anything? I was checking out another thread which had conflicting views on eggs and their effect on the cholesterol your body produces. Raw eggs are so quick and easy, i'm clearly hoping that i can just eat as many as id like

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Protege385 View Post
    Raw eggs are so quick and easy, i'm clearly hoping that i can just eat as many as id like
    Well you'd be short-changing yourself if they aren't as effective as cooked.
    There's also like a one in a thousand chance that you'll get salmonella. It CAN happen, and if you're eating lots and lots of eggs it could be just a matter of time. Some people are lucky, some aren't. I wouldn't risk it.

Wannabebig Member
    Thats disapointing, but thanks for the advice

Anyway, so if i wanted to eat say . . . ten eggs for breakfeast and a couple at work or at night would that give me a heart attack or anything? I was checking out another thread which had conflicting views on eggs and their effect on the cholesterol your body produces.
    There really aren't conflicting views, just people posting information that they don't fully understand.

Whether or not eggs influence your cholestoral levels depends on the individual. It is very possible to alter your cholesterol levels with diet. For some people with high cholesterol, a reduction in dietary cholesterol can have significant impacts on their levels.
    For others, when they reduce dietary cholesterol, their body will respond by producing more cholesterol.

Starting Current

Can I just ask what the nutritional value of say a boiled egg is because I was of the opinion that it was probably quicker and easier to have a whey shake or something.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    There really aren't conflicting views, just people posting information that they don't fully understand.

Whether or not eggs influence your cholestoral levels depends on the individual. It is very possible to alter your cholesterol levels with diet. For some people with high cholesterol, a reduction in dietary cholesterol can have significant impacts on their levels.
    For others, when they reduce dietary cholesterol, their body will respond by producing more cholesterol.
    Really? Interesting. I was of the impression that there was little to no correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol in people who were getting enough cardio. I'd heard that exercise was the biggest mitigating factor. Can cholesterol levels really rise for some people when they reduce dietary amounts? What are those people then recommended to do?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Really? Interesting. I was of the impression that there was little to no correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol in people who were getting enough cardio. I'd heard that exercise was the biggest mitigating factor. Can cholesterol levels really rise for some people when they reduce dietary amounts? What are those people then recommended to do?
    You are correct in that exercise has been shown to raise HDL ("good") levels and lower LDL ("bad") levels, but depending on the individual it can be any number of factors, including diet.

http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3046113

Starting Current

Cook your eggs man. Rocky was just a movie.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Cooked Eggs

From the Protein Book

Raw Egg Protein 1.4 g/per hour absorption
    Cooked Egg Protein 2.9 g/per hour absorption

What's more important to me is that eggs scrambled or cooked as an ommelette taste a hell of a lot better than raw lol..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    raw egggs dont taste like anything. i was shocked at how not-gross they were when i first tried em

raw egggs dont taste like anything. i was shocked at how not-gross they were when i first tried em
    Taste > No-taste

Starting Current

I wasnt aiming to get sympathy. Just the truth. Also, i dislike cooking to compound with my limited time for it.

Anyway, so if i wanted to eat say . . . ten eggs for breakfeast and a couple at work or at night would that give me a heart attack or anything? I was checking out another thread which had conflicting views on eggs and their effect on the cholesterol your body produces. Raw eggs are so quick and easy, i'm clearly hoping that i can just eat as many as id like
    I switched to egg substitutes a few years ago and honestly I think they taste the same and they are much healthier. Something like Egg Beaters but I usually buy the store brand.

http://www.eggbeaters.com/products/original.jsp
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, but no taste > gross taste

from a regenereative nutrition website:

The process of cooking eggs destroy the very goodness that our bodies so desperately need as the nature of proteins and fats is altered when exposed to heat. When cooked, the egg protein changes its chemical shape; it is often this process that can be the cause of allergies. Generally when eating raw eggs, any incidence of egg allergy will disappear.

Surprisingly, in spite of ‘bad press’ raw eggs, organic or at least from a known source of healthy free-range chickens, are an excellent health tonic. The regular consumption of raw eggs will do wonders for your overall health. Exceptionally easy to digest, raw eggs provide a wonderful boost to the immune system, and a completely balanced nutritional package. A good immune system is one of several things the body needs to overcome cancer.

Many people’s diets are deficient in high quality proteins and fats, and eggs are one the very best sources of these. Raw eggs have many benefits, they contain essential nutrients for the brain, nerves, glands and hormones, they are nutritionally balanced, and we highly recommend the addition of raw eggs to your nutritional programme. The sulphur amino acids help to keep you young, raw eggs also contain an abundance of other vital substances including protein, essential fatty acids along with niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc and sulphur. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain vitamin D.

Raw Eggs and Cholesterol

There is no danger from the cholesterol build up since 2/3 of cholesterol in the body is produced by the liver. The amount of cholesterol consumed in the diet does not relate to the amount of cholesterol deposited. Many studies have shown that the cholesterol in eggs does not raise cholesterol level in the body. Furthermore, eggs contain Lecithin, a valuable nutrient that helps the body to process fats and cholesterol.

If eggs are whipped, beaten or blended without raw milk, raw cream, or coconut cream, many of the enzymes are oxidised and lost.” It is best to break open the egg into a cup or glass and swallow whole. Most people are repelled by this, but with a little courage it is found to be easy. There is almost no taste and the egg, even big ones are easily swallo

Wannabebig Member
    *regenerative

Yes, but no taste > gross taste

from a regenereative nutrition website:

The process of cooking eggs destroy the very goodness that our bodies so desperately need as the nature of proteins and fats is altered when exposed to heat. When cooked, the egg protein changes its chemical shape; it is often this process that can be the cause of allergies. Generally when eating raw eggs, any incidence of egg allergy will disappear.

Surprisingly, in spite of ‘bad press’ raw eggs, organic or at least from a known source of healthy free-range chickens, are an excellent health tonic. The regular consumption of raw eggs will do wonders for your overall health. Exceptionally easy to digest, raw eggs provide a wonderful boost to the immune system, and a completely balanced nutritional package. A good immune system is one of several things the body needs to overcome cancer.

Many people’s diets are deficient in high quality proteins and fats, and eggs are one the very best sources of these. Raw eggs have many benefits, they contain essential nutrients for the brain, nerves, glands and hormones, they are nutritionally balanced, and we highly recommend the addition of raw eggs to your nutritional programme. The sulphur amino acids help to keep you young, raw eggs also contain an abundance of other vital substances including protein, essential fatty acids along with niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc and sulphur. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain vitamin D.

Raw Eggs and Cholesterol

There is no danger from the cholesterol build up since 2/3 of cholesterol in the body is produced by the liver. The amount of cholesterol consumed in the diet does not relate to the amount of cholesterol deposited. Many studies have shown that the cholesterol in eggs does not raise cholesterol level in the body. Furthermore, eggs contain Lecithin, a valuable nutrient that helps the body to process fats and cholesterol.

If eggs are whipped, beaten or blended without raw milk, raw cream, or coconut cream, many of the enzymes are oxidised and lost.” It is best to break open the egg into a cup or glass and swallow whole. Most people are repelled by this, but with a little courage it is found to be easy. There is almost no taste and the egg, even big ones are easily swallo
    There are so many things wrong with that information I don't even know where to start.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 12-17-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Starting Current

why are you consuming raw eggs pre-workout? that's not very wise pre-workout nutrition..

have a whey protein shake with some form of simple carb like dextrose, malto dextrin, waxy maize, etc.. or if you don't have cash for this, a couple packs of smarties and a whey shake.. or some turkey and rice or something along those lines.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t