Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Westside Training: Most important concept you have gotten from training?

Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    For the guys that have done WS for at least a couple years and drug free, how often do you hit prs on your raw bench lifts. Sometimes i wonder if doing low reps for years if i need to do something else I know it mush work for a lot of guys or they woudnt do it.
    I haven't missed a PR in the gym for several years now

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I haven't missed a PR in the gym for several years now
    Thats awesome, how many lifts do you have in your rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    Thats awesome, how many lifts do you have in your rotation?
    No specific number. Most times 4-6

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

To be clear, I find it best to stick with an ME exercise for 2-3 weeks prior to switching.

Most important thing I have learned is to find the movements you really suck at and make them the things you don't suck at. Not just any movement though. You have to find the ones that you not only suck at, but as they increase, so do your big three. This is much harder than it sounds and at times is like trying to hit a moving target. When you find a movement that works, milk it for all it's worth.

The other thing I found incredibly important is to deload before you feel like deloading. By the time I really feel like I need to deload, it's often too late and I'm already suffering the consequences. For me, this is about every fourth or fifth week (fourth week if I'm honest, lol).

What I still struggle with is what to do when you hit that fail for a PR on a ME lift one week, switch to one of your others the next week and fail on that too. It feels like wasted weeks and is sort of like "damn, now what?" Do you change up the rep-range, or is it time to find new ME lifts for your training?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Well it's not really an exact rule. But I have always seen changing ME movements each week as the recommended thing to do for an advanced lifter. Beginners generally will do better though sticking the same lift for 2-3 weeks then switching since they will not adapt as quickly as an advanced lifter.

Now I am not sure how people determine what is advanced and what is a beginner. You gotta find out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    The thing you mention about back to back ME movements.. didn't know that was a "Westside Rule". I have been doing 2 week cycles, and always on the 2nd week I hit bigger numbers then I do on the first week.

While on the subject, for the raw lifter is it recommended to do a full range bench press as a ME movement at anytime?
    Sure. Throw in bands, reverse bands, chains, and you have plenty of variations too.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

While on the subject, for the raw lifter is it recommended to do a full range bench press as a ME movement at anytime?
    Yeah, you can take a look at Travis' log here for some good ideas. He trains raw 99% of the time, although a bit differently than training for a raw bench. Feel free to ask questions in that log, I think it'd be a lot of help.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I'd just like to add to that finding the ME lifts that increase gains and do so safely is even harder than just increasing gains.

For instance, I was training the heck out of my shoulders and they got real fussy and I had to back off of them for at least 6 months. OUCH!

But that made me focus on strengthening tri's and lats which have helped me just as much.

I guess what I am saying is, because you can push something to increase your max doesn't always make it the best exercise, you also have to make sure you remain balanced in terms of development and some muscles can take more frequent heavy work than others.

I'd love o have one of the more experienced guys check out my lifts and prescribes some exercises for me! But I am way the heck down south here in Texas.

Wannabebig Member
    The best thing I've gotten from Westside is learning how to grind against weight. Alot people don't necessarily quit a lift but don't know how to push through it. Watching the Westside Tapes, those guys grind. I've also gotten from Westside that just about everything works when you train hard.