Thread: No progress.

Wannabebig New Member

No progress.

Hi guys.

For the past 4.5 months I've been going to the gym 5 days a week, eating right (lots of protein and carbs etc.) but I've noticed no progress. My routine is a bit similar to SS, but it's as custom routine given out by the gym trainer. I have gained a noticeable amount of weight but I didn't get any stronger, it was all body fat.

What can I possibly do? It seems like no matter what I do I end up losing muscle and putting on fat. My BMI is about 25, if you're interested. Thanks.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Explain your routine in detail. Describe your diet. What are your stats? There are certain variables you need to tune in before you start seeing positive gains. It seems like you're missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Explain your routine in detail. Describe your diet. What are your stats? There are certain variables you need to tune in before you start seeing positive gains. It seems like you're missing something.
    x2. Need more input!! Routine in detail=everything you do in the gym and how you've been resting outside of it. Are you tracking your calories?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

not sure of ur experience, but if you're a beginner then 5 days a week is a lot, might be overtraining

Quote Originally Posted by seerabi View Post
    I've been going to the gym 5 days a week, My routine is a bit similar to SS, .
    That's probably your problem right there. Cut that down to 3 times a week and find a good progression scheme.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Keep the 5 days, but work on cardio for 2 of those days, and lifting the other 3. No one likes fat. Consider kicking your gym trainer in the jimmy. lol
    Last edited by Iplan; 03-23-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Also, take a look at your diet. If you're gaining weight that is mainly fat, you're obviously taking in more calories than you are expending.

Might be time to clean it up a little and lower the carb intake or at least wave it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig New Member
    I don't think I'm eating too much calories. I don't track my calories every single day, but on the days that I did I found it to be in the 2000-2200 calorie range, which is only slightly above my maintenance level.

My workout is a 3-day split, with lower body on one day, back and chest on another, and upper body and arms on the last. I could post the details but that would be pointless because the details have changed 4 or 5 times in this period (once every month). No aspect of it has remained constant except maybe that it has always included squats and bench presses.

A general outline wouldn't hurt though:
    Everything is 3 sets of 12 reps (unless otherwise stated).

Leg day: 2-3 quad workouts, 3 sets each (8 reps) things like squats, leg presses, etc. 1-2 Hamstring workouts.

Chest & back day: 3-4 chest workouts, plus cable rows, lat pulldowns, back flexes (?). Mainly stuff like bench presses, incline presses, chest machine, cable flys.

Upper body: Maybe 5-6 sets in total. Biceps, Military press, basic shoulder barbell movements, shoulder flys, etc.

So yeah, 4-5 sets on leg day, 6-7 sets on chest day, 5-6 sets on upper body day, with the details varying widely.

If this isn't enough information, I'd gladly post all the details of my current workout (which I got 2 weeks ago).

To be fair, my squat numbers have gone up a bit. But my chest and upper body numbers have actually gone down.

A lot of people are saying that I'm overtraining. Hmm, maybe that's it. I don't know, I might have to lose fat before training again. It's sad, but my BF is now above 18%.

Also, should I start seriously counting calories?

Wannabebig New Member
    Also, I consume about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight each day. I try to avoid fat, but I do eat the occasional steak.

I could post the details but that would be pointless because the details have changed 4 or 5 times in this period (once every month). No aspect of it has remained constant except maybe that it has always included squats and bench presses.
    It's going to be difficult to gauge progress if you're changing your routine this often. Pick a good routine and stick with it.

I might have to lose fat before training again.
    This doesn't make sense.

Also, should I start seriously counting calories?
    Yes.

Banned
    Pffff....

So the thing is, you want to get stronger right?
    So the best way to get stronger is to do this thing called "linear progression." This is outlined in Starting Strength.

You take a handful of big boy exercises like the squat, bench press, deadlift, power clean and chin-ups, and you progressively add weight to them until you can't add any more weight. Its the simplest programming there is. No muscle confusion, no drop sets, no isolation, no wave loading. Nothing. Just 3x5 each time on the same exercises, with a little more weight each time. You will get stronger.

If you train hard enough you will likely lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

It seems to me that you need a good abbreviated routine that focuses on progression and consistency. I'd start a search for Starting Strength, Hard Gainer, Dinosaur Training, or read some of Chris Mason's articles right here on this site. Also, you're probably not eating enough. If you want to be a big person, you have to eat like a big person. My 9 year old son eats more than that.

Here's a few to get you started...

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...tion-or-is-it/
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...-the-easy-way/
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124795
    Last edited by Off Road; 03-24-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

If your goal is to get stronger and stay fairly lean that routine is not going to do it and you need to adjust your diet. It sounds like the trainer just gave you a cookie cutter routine without taking your goals, current needs state, background, etc..... into account. This happens alot in this industry.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 03-24-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks a lot for the help guys! I appreciate it.

So if I summarized this correctly, I should:

1. Work out just 3 days a week.

2. Totally reconsider my diet (How about carb cycling?)

3. Stick with a good routine instead of changing it too much.

Is that about right?

You may think that you haven't made progress but you'd probably be surprised...

What are your base guidelines in regards to "not making any progress"?

1) Did you record 1RM lifts (BP, DL, SQ, OHP, etc.) 4.5 months ago and compare it to present day?

2) Circumference comparison? (Waist, hips, etc.)

3) Fat caliper measurements (body fat)?

You need cold hard numbers to compare to otherwise it's mere speculation to what you were capable of 4.5 months ago.

1. Work out just 3 days a week.
    Depending on the program, that may be perfect. It is for many guys.

2. Totally reconsider my diet (How about carb cycling?)
    I'm no expert, but 2,000 calories just seems small.

3. Stick with a good routine instead of changing it too much.
    Definitely. Run a good routine until it stops working. Then find ways to make start working again.

Is that about right?

It's a good start.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    My routine is a bit similar to SS, but it's as custom routine given out by the gym trainer.
    I don't think your routine (or what I gather of it) looks even remotely like Starting Strength. If you want to do SS, get the book and follow the programming laid out in it. From what you posted, I imagine you wandering from machine to machine in your gym...sorta floundering without a solid plan. You appear to be doing too many sets and reps/set. And maybe I missed it, but I don't even see deadlifts listed as one of your exercises.

Definitely lay out a tested program and re-attack. Don't give up because you got some bad advice.

Banned
    "mainly stuff like xxx".

Time for a new routine man . You should know exactly what you are doing before you enter the gym. Not just do what you feel like that day. You should know the rep scheme, how many sets, and how much weight for each given exercise as well. Keep track of everything you do...either in a journal here or on paper. Also, for large compound exercises I recommend 3-5 reps...for people just starting out, anything above this has added risk because as you fatigue, so does your form and you wont have the experience to understand how to adjust or when its simply time to re-rack the weight. Only experienced squatters/deadlifters should be doing reps in the higher ranges.

Honestly, just do starting strength and be done with it. No bull****, no nonsense routine. It works as an intermediate routine too...I started using it when my squat was close to 300 and my DL was 350. You can ride out the gains for a really long time before you have to move onto something like madcow 5x5 or 5/3/1.