Thread: Is it just me or is this typical ?

Is it just me or is this typical ?

I have only been at the weights about 7 weeks. Im doing a mon-weds-fri split. I am currently 190 pounds from a starting weight of 181 pounds.

My diet has been I guess a bulk,in so much as I have been eating about on average 3000 cals per day,some days good some days not so good food choices. However I have managed to take in 185 - 200 grams protein daily.

I have been taking creatine daily 5 Grams for 6-7 weeks and if im honest I have not been getting anywhere near a gallon of water per day so not sure if the creatine is working.

Also using bodyfortress whey protein for last 3 weeks

Anyhow to cut to the chase I was carrying a lot of fat when I first started and at the moment have still a lot of fat around the gut and under the arms,being 48 don't help I guess ?

I have increased my lifts consistently but still feel fat, I dropped the bulk for a week at one stage because I didnt like the fat...BUT then when I felt light I started the Bulk again...now im feeling fat again despite a good session in the gym today Im wondering if I should have tried to loose the bodyfat when I first started and not gone down the Bulking route..

I would like your opinions on the subject please....would you cut now back to see what muscle I have and then kick on from there with a clean bulk...or just carry on bulking till February..My main concern is that I will be left with a load of fat to shift...

does anyone else have this dilema or just me ?

LuNa
    Almost everyone has this issue. With bulking, you gain fat. This can be minimized by the amount of calories you go over maintenance, but the fact is you will gain some fat. Most people, like yourself, will go on a cut the moment they start to gain a little fat. They havent even gained any significant muscle mass, but decide to loose the fat. They will then cut for a couple of weeks, which means they will probably loose some muscle mass aswell. This goes on and on until after a few years they still look the same and give up.

MY advice, pick a goal and stick with it. Both bulking and cutting would be fine, depending on what you want. You will have to suffer the disadvantages of both if you really want some results.

Dont forget as well, when you are bulking, you tend to hold more fluids which can give you a softer feel. This is often mistaken for fat. Go no carbs for a day and the fluid will be gone. I carb cycle and there is a big difference between days i eat carbs (i feel fat and want to diet) and the days i dont eat carbs (i feel skinny).

Read this article. While some may dissagree with it, I have found it to work very well so far (as long as I'm strict).
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Read this article. While some may dissagree with it, I have found it to work very well so far (as long as I'm strict).
    Excellent Read,thank you.

Back on track, gonna stick with it and have dialled in my Goals to be more specific in terms of diet..

Quote Originally Posted by thecoder0 View Post
    I have only been at the weights about 7 weeks. Im doing a mon-weds-fri split. I am currently 190 pounds from a starting weight of 181 pounds.

My diet has been I guess a bulk,in so much as I have been eating about on average 3000 cals per day,some days good some days not so good food choices. However I have managed to take in 185 - 200 grams protein daily.

I have been taking creatine daily 5 Grams for 6-7 weeks and if im honest I have not been getting anywhere near a gallon of water per day so not sure if the creatine is working.

Also using bodyfortress whey protein for last 3 weeks

Anyhow to cut to the chase I was carrying a lot of fat when I first started and at the moment have still a lot of fat around the gut and under the arms,being 48 don't help I guess ?

I have increased my lifts consistently but still feel fat, I dropped the bulk for a week at one stage because I didnt like the fat...BUT then when I felt light I started the Bulk again...now im feeling fat again despite a good session in the gym today Im wondering if I should have tried to loose the bodyfat when I first started and not gone down the Bulking route..

I would like your opinions on the subject please....would you cut now back to see what muscle I have and then kick on from there with a clean bulk...or just carry on bulking till February..My main concern is that I will be left with a load of fat to shift...

does anyone else have this dilema or just me ?
    The situation that you are facing is a common dilema, but can typically be resolved with some better food choices and perhaps a bit of low intensity cardio (neither will hold you back in terms of muscle/strength gains).

What is a typical day look like for you in terms of your diet?

We can tweak things from there and should be able to get you on the right track for improved body composition.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Here is what the diet looks like at the moment

Meal 1 : 4 Weetabix 1 banana 2 scoops whey

Meal 2 (Shake) 1 pint milk
    50 grams oats
    Banana

Meal 3 : Carrots,Brocoli,sprouts and two large chicken Breasts

Meal 4 Tin Tuna

Meal 5 100GRAMS Natural Peanut Butter,1 pint 1% milk

Meal 6 PM BEFORE BED 1 Large Onken Yoghurt

Cals 3000 Protein 195 Carbs 280 Fat 125

I would just eat normal....No need to bulk if gaining weight equals getting fat. That enough at only 7 weeks in.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoder0 View Post
    Here is what the diet looks like at the moment

Meal 1 : 4 Weetabix 1 banana 2 scoops whey

Meal 2 (Shake) 1 pint milk
    50 grams oats
    Banana

Meal 3 : Carrots,Brocoli,sprouts and two large chicken Breasts

Meal 4 Tin Tuna

Meal 5 100GRAMS Natural Peanut Butter,1 pint 1% milk

Meal 6 PM BEFORE BED 1 Large Onken Yoghurt

Cals 3000 Protein 195 Carbs 280 Fat 125

does this look like a reasonably clean diet

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    The situation that you are facing is a common dilema, but can typically be resolved with some better food choices and perhaps a bit of low intensity cardio (neither will hold you back in terms of muscle/strength gains).

What is a typical day look like for you in terms of your diet?

We can tweak things from there and should be able to get you on the right track for improved body composition.
    What level of low intensity cardio would you aim for ?