Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: shoulder issue - please advise!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166

    shoulder issue - please advise!

    Hey guys,

    So the past month or so, i've had some pain in my shoulder blade area. I've asked a bunch of guys in the gym that know their stuff, and they say my form for benching is really good so thats not the issue. This hurt a little over the summer so i switched to dumbbell benching thinking it might help. It hasn't helped but hasnt hurt. Anyway so the slight shoulder blade thing has been slightly bothering, and i only do chest once a week, so i planned on taking off sometime in the next month (since i am in college and have break) since i havent taken a week off in months. Today i began to get a slightly sharper pain where the shoulder meets the top of my arm on the way down while d-bell benching. So i stopped and went home and ive been icing the area on and off. I feel the pain randomly at random movements of the arm. Does anyone have any good advice at what this may be and what i can do to make it better (ice/time off?) Thanks so much.

    pete

  2. #2
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,415
    If you have pain thats been there for a month you should go and see a physio or sports therapist.

  3. #3
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    Hey guys,

    So the past month or so, i've had some pain in my shoulder blade area. I've asked a bunch of guys in the gym that know their stuff, and they say my form for benching is really good so thats not the issue. This hurt a little over the summer so i switched to dumbbell benching thinking it might help. It hasn't helped but hasnt hurt. Anyway so the slight shoulder blade thing has been slightly bothering, and i only do chest once a week, so i planned on taking off sometime in the next month (since i am in college and have break) since i havent taken a week off in months. Today i began to get a slightly sharper pain where the shoulder meets the top of my arm on the way down while d-bell benching. So i stopped and went home and ive been icing the area on and off. I feel the pain randomly at random movements of the arm. Does anyone have any good advice at what this may be and what i can do to make it better (ice/time off?) Thanks so much.

    pete
    If you have medical benefits then I would have your shoulder looked at by a Doctor; preferably someone with a sports medicine background.

    For now I would just rest, ice, and stretch until your appointment. If your pain interferes with daily activities then perhaps ibuprofen would be helpful - but always speak with your Doctor before taking any medications.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 12-16-2009 at 04:32 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,019
    Def get it looked at. I spent 2 months pretending to be a doctor, and now 3 months later Im still in pain and I cant bench heavy. No need to wait for something serious to happen.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    166
    I'd double check your form but yes, absolutely get to a doc. It's probably something simple like Tenonitis but I'd want to make darn sure that it isn't something more serious. I've been dealing with shoulder pain since June, took the summer off and started lifting again in late October. Tried benching (flat and incline BB) and it still hurt like heck. Watched the video below, did what it said and the pain has been slowly but surely decreasing. The elbow correction was what did the trick for me.

    Video

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    11
    The doctor used a simple test to see if I had impingement.
    Just put your arm straight out in front, point your thump down. Then have someone push down on your hand and you resist. If you get a sharp pain in the top of the shoulder at the end of the clavical in the AC joint then it could be inpingement sydrome (inflammed AC bursa).
    This is a pain in the arse if it is this. Cause it will never leave, even with cortizone injections you have to stay away from a lot of exercises not to flare it up.

  7. #7
    JERSEY IRON Brian C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    5,402
    Quote Originally Posted by cunniff81 View Post
    The doctor used a simple test to see if I had impingement.
    Just put your arm straight out in front, point your thump down. Then have someone push down on your hand and you resist. If you get a sharp pain in the top of the shoulder at the end of the clavical in the AC joint then it could be inpingement sydrome (inflammed AC bursa).
    This is a pain in the arse if it is this. Cause it will never leave, even with cortizone injections you have to stay away from a lot of exercises not to flare it up.
    Dam I got pain doing this...
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

    Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    eh not a whole lotta pain at all, maybe a slight slight pain??? I guess thats good. ive been icing a lot too. any chance some glucosamine can help too?

  9. #9
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,415
    ^--It couldn't hurt if you think the problem is in the joint.

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member Tykimeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    74
    Glucosamine isn't going to do crap for you joints in the short term. If you take glucosamine supplements for maybe a couple years you may start to see some improvement.

    I don't fully understand what part of your shoulder actually hurts. If you say the shoulder blade I would go more towards a muscle injury. If it's the top of your shoulder then I would think maybe your rotator cuff.

    I hurt my rotator cuff pretty bad, but it wasn't torn. I did somewhat light flat bench, zero incline, and heave decline. Decline didn't bother my rotator cuff at all and reducing the weight on the flat bench helped it heal up very good in just a couple months. I never do overhead presses or barbell incline anymore. Not worth getting hurt again.
    BW 210 HT 6'
    BP 315x4 365x1
    S 315x6
    DL 405x5

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    well the pain started in the shoulder blade (more of a lingering annoyance). Now there is a slight sharp pain at the top of where the arm and shoulder meet. what other exercises can i do in meantime? Light bench and decline? No incline (dbell or bbell)? any other advice. thanks a lot guys.

  12. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27
    If the pain started behind the shoulder blade it could be that you are tight in the upper back and it's causing your shoulder blade to not move correctly. If it doesn't move right it causes stretching and pulling at the insertion of someof the muscles on the top of the shoulder. So you can have pain on the top of the shouder because the muscles are restricting the shoulder blade. Get a massage to loosen the muscles and that should help.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    awesome thank you for the advice. Could it also be maybe from doing weighted pull ups? the tight upper back is prob a good call since i do tend to be overly stressed out a lot and hunch my shoulders a bit.

  14. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    dealing with thumbdown-push up super ouchy pain. Any more information about the ac joint pain would be great. I get a cortizone shot in about two weeks, and my doctor seems very capable but honestly I can only understand half of what he says. He rushes me through and tells me to lose weight and has given me an ekg and nerve tests in my upper and lower extremetiies. The thing is, I really only care about my shoulder, dammit! but he is also Yale educated and apparently amazing with all manner of trigger point injections and given the restrictive nature of my insurance, he is likely the best I am going to come across. I will google like crazy but any first hand experience is welcome.
    ps. hi, my names Mike Wood. I actually lurk over in the powerlifting forum and have been two lazy to register for bout a yr of lurkin. I'll probly go to the intro side now and then go harass some folks in the pl forum.
    * edit to explain why im at the weird doctor
    Last edited by mikewood; 12-19-2009 at 12:37 AM.

  15. #15
    Wannabebig Member Tykimeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    74
    There isn't going to be a magical exerchise you can do with this kind of problem. Just do what you can that doesn't hurt. I suspect you don't want to just stop lifting and rest, so just lighten up the weight or do what doesn't hurt.
    BW 210 HT 6'
    BP 315x4 365x1
    S 315x6
    DL 405x5

  16. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewood View Post
    dealing with thumbdown-push up super ouchy pain. Any more information about the ac joint pain would be great. I get a cortizone shot in about two weeks, and my doctor seems very capable but honestly I can only understand half of what he says. He rushes me through and tells me to lose weight and has given me an ekg and nerve tests in my upper and lower extremetiies. The thing is, I really only care about my shoulder, dammit! but he is also Yale educated and apparently amazing with all manner of trigger point injections and given the restrictive nature of my insurance, he is likely the best I am going to come across. I will google like crazy but any first hand experience is welcome.
    ps. hi, my names Mike Wood. I actually lurk over in the powerlifting forum and have been two lazy to register for bout a yr of lurkin. I'll probly go to the intro side now and then go harass some folks in the pl forum.
    * edit to explain why im at the weird doctor
    Unfortunatly Tykimeister is correct. There is no magic exercise for this. The cortizone will help massively but the issue then is working out what exercises you can do without causing the inflammation to come back.

    I have found that all forms of bench pressing, the catch in the clean and sudden movements irritate my inflammation. However overhead work doesn't
    (that is why I train towards strongman and squat with a safety squat bar).

    The other thing is going max effort all the time isn't going to help it. You need to think more about the volumes and loads you put on it as well as the extra work you need to put into recovery.

    If your lucky with the injection and monitoring your exercises you should be pain free (almost), but it only takes one stupid exercise to inflame it back to where it was so be aware.

    Best of luck.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    Thanks cunniff. yea well each week i would do 3x4 or 3x5. I think i have to use greater volume and lower weight now. I've taken off since wednesday. Gonna give tmrw a shot.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    673
    i currently have something like this at the moment and i am doing some prehab exercises before i lift-- 3x10 face pulls, 3x15 overhead BB shrugs, and 2-3 sets of pullups before i lift.

    I have felt a huge difference from doing these exercises in the last few weeks!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    really? arent pull ups a big strain on your shoulder though too?

  20. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    really? arent pull ups a big strain on your shoulder though too?
    For me they are. Face Pulls also aggrivate me a little.

    PFM8241988 just make sure that you give your shoulder 2 full weeks rest after the injection. No lifting that uses the shoulder. It will help lots as the cortizone can take up to 2 weeks for full effect.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    i have not gotten the injection. just been good old fashion icing it on and off. been doing wonders for me it feels. should've started the ice weeks ago.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    I also think that a lot of strain on my shoulder could come from doing planks with a 45 lb weight on my back, as well as flutter kicks while holding a 45 lb plate in the air... possible?

  23. #23
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    Well, I can't wait for my shot- I don't really have the option of not benching heavy, but I'll try and take it easy with the big raw stuff and work on my shirted form to try and protect it. Thanks for the input, fellas.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone here ever had shoulder surgery and came back to PL'ing?
    By jmccown in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 07:17 AM
  2. trying to strengthen shoulders, need to stop clicking in shoulder
    By someoneunlikeyo in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 06:22 AM
  3. Avoiding Shoulder Injuries
    By Rock Steady in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 08:43 AM
  4. A shoulder injury has me bummed.
    By SoloScott in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 11:23 AM
  5. Shoulder pain... ?
    By intensity in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 05:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •