The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuzzy's US domination tour.

Ive been sitting on this idea for a while. And now Im starting to put a few things in place for 2011.

The plan: drive across the width of the USA. Starting in Boston, NYC, or somewhere in the north-east. Heading south-west from there, then west along the Bible Belt, then north-west up to see Las Vegas then through California. Seems reasonable... right?

Anyway, Im thinking Ill hire an RV or some kind of camper so I can sleep and live along the way.

But the question is. Are any of you lovely folks here on WBB willing to meet up with me on the way, and perhaps provide a shower for what Im sure will be the stinkiest few months of my life? I also want to make it a running gimmick to squat 500 pounds in each state I go to and compile a video. Its still in the woods at this point in time, and I may end up going to Europe in 2011 and the US in the year or two after. But for now I would like to see the US.

The reason I am doing this is because I have an absolute fascination with the USA, its politics, and its people, and I dont want to do some lame ass Contiki tour and take a snap with the statue of liberty. I want to really see it, at a grass roots level. I want to eat ribs, try and understand your damn football, and see its people.

So would you be willing to give this Austrlian Lebanese terrorist a place to chill for a sec and a good gym to squat in?
    Last edited by cphafner; 12-16-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Of course I'd be willing to take you in for a few days if you'd like. Apparently I'd be toward the end of your trip though since I'm in San Diego or Los Angeles at any given point. Keep us updated as you start closing in on your start date though because if you're going to do it in 2011 (you sure you don't mean 2010?) then a lot can change in a year or two.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

That sounds like a great time! I hope you are able to do it.

I live in Houston, Texas I wouldn't mind helping.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    I live in Houston, Texas I wouldn't mind helping.
    hehe, know any good rib joints?

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Honestly it's sad but I don't know of any. It's funny you should ask though because my girl friend pointed out the BBQ place she wanted to try and I told her we should try to find a good BBQ place with good ribs. Me and her love ribs. So while I don't know of any now I will for sure by the time you make it around here if you do decide to go on this trip.

Fuzzy are you looking for a travelling companion? I swear I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing... I really dig on American culture and have wanted to do a road trip over there for a while now. I've been saving for it and 2011 should leave me with plenty of time to get a decent amount saved.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

The reason I am doing this is because I have an absolute fascination with the USA, its politics, and its people, and I dont want to do some lame ass Contiki tour and take a snap with the statue of liberty. I want to really see it, at a grass roots level. I want to eat ribs, try and understand your damn football, and see its people.
    I can't believe I've finally found someone in Australia who shares the same sentiments as me. There can be so much negativity towards the U.S. over here but I'm fascinated by it!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    You two Aussies stay the hell away. Your gonna steal all of our women away with your damn accents! lol. American woman seem to like any guy with a foreign accent. (Just a hint)
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

I'm a little north of Baltimore, the bastard child of Philadelphia and DC you can stay at my place for a few days.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I'm in phoenix AZ and have a gym in my garage.. Seeing how you said you're leaning towards Vegas, I'm not sure if you'll make it through phoenix or not, but give me a hollar if you're interested..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I'm in Houston as well, Hell i can make you a mean slab of fall off the bone ribs and some melt in your mouth brisket and pork shoulders.

you just let me know when your coming through i will take you to the gym, then feed you food and beer until you explode
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

My people own this town. If you made it through Indianapolis, you'll see some interesting ****, that's for sure.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    My people own this town. If you made it through Indianapolis, you'll see some interesting ****, that's for sure.
    Yep, and then you could continue an hour and a half west and be in my neck of the woods. You could lift in the biggest university gym in the country, too.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Yep, and then you could continue an hour and a half west and be in my neck of the woods. You could lift in the biggest university gym in the country, too.
    oooh, and if he makes it down to bmore, he could lift in the smallest university gym in the country (by my account). he might have to be careful too, some people say the bar has an unnaturally large amount of flex when I lift anything over 405, ahh **** it, my university gym sucks, if fuzzy gets down here he better squat enough weight to break all the ****ty equipment.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I wannabebig!
    if you're serious and you plan on making your way through CA I'm in San Francisco. Don't know if you plan on making your way to SoCal or both... just know that SF is the food capital, you won't be disappointed.

How would a young person afford to be able to do this? I make damn good money and I couldn't afford to do a cross country international trip.

If your by SLC your more then welcome to stay at my place. I got 3 spare bedrooms.
    Nick V

Some don't realize how BIG this country is (inclusing me), so if you intend on driving something similar to the trip you laid you, please give yourself AT LEAST a month. Making it a whole summer would probably be better, though.

Good luck with it!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Some don't realize how BIG this country is (inclusing me), so if you intend on driving something similar to the trip you laid you, please give yourself AT LEAST a month. Making it a whole summer would probably be better, though.

Good luck with it!
    I agree. If you're going to be stopping as much as you say, I would take the entire summer. I drove from ohio to arizona non-stop and it took 31 hours @ about 90mph..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post

Good luck with it!
    I took a train from Chicago to San Francisco once and it took three days. Beautiful scenery. I'd love to go back and spend a couple of months doing a real coast to coast trip. The rest of the world thinks gets pissy that x number of Americans don't own passports and never travel, but to be fair, you guys do have a bloody enormous country. I'd also quite like to visit every place that Johnny Cash mentions in "I've been everywhere".

Sure, I'd be happy to. I'm in CT right now, but applying to jobs all over so who knows where I'll be in two years.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    The thing you have to remember about driving cross country is no matter where your going, when you get to Texas you are half way there..
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Im touched by the support so far. As for the money, I live at home, supported by bery financially secure parents, any money i save up through work can be put to this trip. As for the time, I was thinking atleast 10 weeks. Have to plan it well for sure, but Im not gonna do an explicit schedule, just simply make sure I am on the other side of the country in time for my plane fliight back out.

I can't even imagine the drop off fee for driving an RV clear across the country. I'm not actually 100% that they do this in the States but in Canada if you rent a car in location A and return it in location B there is a fee for getting it back to location A. My family was in a car accident about 5 years ago in Ontario and had to rent a car to get back to Saskatchewan and I believe my parents paid about a 900$ drop off fee.

You'd be looking at an expensive trip if you rented your own vehicle for 10 weeks. Lets say you rent a compact car at $30 a day for 10 weeks, you're already looking at $2100 just for the car (assuming no drop-off fee). Throw in some hotels, food, etc....

Anyway, hopefully it works out for you! It sounds like quite an adventure.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

If you want to come to Austin, TX I can put you up. Good partying and BBQ places here!