The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

I Need Big Arms!!

Hey was wondering if there was an arm routine oritiented towards increasing overall arm size. I am currently 5"10 190lbs and currently doing BGB. Routine is working well my arms are seriously lacking compared to everything else. I do alot of heavy compound excercises and i know I should gain more weight but i want to try and maximize my arm size within next few months. Any routines or suggestions would be great thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just add in some extra arm work, couple sets of high rep exercises at the end of your upper body workouts and I think you'll find they start to grow more.

no need to start a whole new routine over your arms.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Short term, do what Travis recommends. Long term, keep getting stronger on the big lifts, bigger in body size and your arms will grow accordingly.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    will do thanks!

Something that I am experimenting with currently that may be applicable...

MWF Full body compound lifts each day. At the end of the work out I have added Preacher Curls and JM Presses and program them as follows:

Start at a conservative weight that you can do easy for 1x15. Each work out increase poundage by 5lbs. Do this for 2 weeks so at the end you are doing 1x15 30lbs heavier than your initial weight.

After the 2 weeks of 1x15, you keep the same 2 lifts but program it at 2x10. Pick a weight heavier than your initial 1x15 weight. Progress the same fashion, adding 5 lbs each workout for 2 weeks.

After the next 2 weeks (4 weeks total), keep the same 2 lifts but now program them at 3x5. Starting with a heavier weight than you did with 2x10 and progressing 5lbs each session.

This should help stimulate the spectrum of hypertrophy. At least in theory.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post

This should help stimulate the spectrum of hypertrophy. At least in theory.
    To many big words....makes Bombz head hurt

makes sense though...you add workload and volume at the same time...right?
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

Quote Originally Posted by cant hit bombz View Post
    To many big words....makes Bombz head hurt

makes sense though...you add workload and volume at the same time...right?
    There are two types of hypertrophy:

1. Sarcoplasmic - generally non-functional in relation to strength. It is mostly energy substrate material. Helps with muscle endurance. Stimulated through high volume work.

2. Myofibril - functional in relation to strength. It is made up of contractile tissue. Stimulated from more intense (heavy relative to your 1RM%) lifting.

Both are not mutually exclusive, occurring on a continuum. In other words, you stimulate both at the same time, but you can gain more on one, at the expense of the other.

The logic behind this program is that it spends time developing both ends of the hypertrophy spectrum.

The total rep amount stays roughly the same at 15-20 reps. Intensity is progressively raised. Reps per set decreases. Sets increase. Total volume increases.
    My 10 week cut results

be 5' 10" and 240 lbs. Your arms should get bigger if you do it the right way. It won't be easy, but it is that simple.

I've noticed that with the program I'm on, which is 90% compound movements, that my arms seem to be falling behind my legs/back/traps also. I think I'm goin to throw in a few sets of curls and skullcrushers on one of my days.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I've noticed that with the program I'm on, which is 90% compound movements, that my arms seem to be falling behind my legs/back/traps also. I think I'm goin to throw in a few sets of curls and skullcrushers on one of my days.
    This is because Bi's and Tri's are generally not the prime movers in the major compound lifts. They facilitate the movement and help finish it out.

Some people are anti-accessory work, but IMO it just depends on your goals. If you want the gunz to point at teh ladies, curl away broseph.
    My 10 week cut results

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    be 5' 10" and 240 lbs. Your arms should get bigger if you do it the right way. It won't be easy, but it is that simple.
    Or put more simply...gain 50 lbs.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    Big Arms, You need to do more Bench and Triceps and Curls.
    Dumb bell curls will help to balance out your strength and your size on each arm.
    For Bulk do heavier weight, For cut arms go lighter weight and more reps to get very defined arms.
    Shoulder raises laterally and foward will make the cap on your upper arm get defined and bigger too.

hope this helps.
    5'11
    200 lbs
    Football
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 405
    Clean: 243
    Snatch:165

Goals Bench:350 Squat:450 Clean:261 Snatch:183
    "The Journey of a Thousand miles, begins with a single step."

Quote Originally Posted by Manny23 View Post
    Big Arms, You need to do more Bench and Triceps and Curls.
    Dumb bell curls will help to balance out your strength and your size on each arm.
    For Bulk do heavier weight, For cut arms go lighter weight and more reps to get very defined arms.
    Shoulder raises laterally and foward will make the cap on your upper arm get defined and bigger too.

hope this helps.
    You've got some reading to do...

heres a good list of arm exercises
    triceps: close grip bench, bb/e-z bar extensions, skull crushers, JM presses, dips, closer grip push ups maybe
    biceps: bb/db curl, e-z bar curl, db hammer, narrow grip chin ups (palms facing body)

Pullups for bigger bicepts, dips to get your tricepts. Add some resistance with weight, and function with rings.. Your back and chest will be thanking you later for the rewards.
    -deltoids anonomous

Bicepts? Tricepts? What are those?
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Bicepts? Tricepts? What are those?
    lolz... but in all seriousness I agree with what's being said about your arms just growing as you continue through your lifting routines without the necessity of devoting too much time working your biceps and triceps... I feel as I've gained weight my arms tend to keep up with the rest of my body just from the few sets that WBB provides me per week. Eat a lot and lift hard
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

hope this helps.
    Like Yeti said, you have some reading to do
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Those are my stats (actually I'm 1'' taller), and my gunz are about 17.5'' cold (and no, they are not fatceps), I never do any direct arm work, so I imagine you could probably get them bigger with curls and such

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Those are my stats (actually I'm 1'' taller), and my gunz are about 17.5'' cold (and no, they are not fatceps), I never do any direct arm work, so I imagine you could probably get them bigger with curls and such
    And those are pretty good sized arms.

And some people don't like hearing this, but genetics does play a role in the shape of your muscle. So, some arm shapes will always look bigger and better than others, regardless of what one's measurements are.

Agreed... I heard somewhere years ago, generally speaking 10lbs. of BW = 1" on your arms.

Heavy Bench/ dips and back work bro... Along w/ hvy. sqauts, works like a charm!
    RC

And some people don't like hearing this, but genetics does play a role in the shape of your muscle. So, some arm shapes will always look bigger and better than others, regardless of what one's measurements are.
    Yeah I agree... I always envy the guys that look like they have little boulders on their arms.... I have the long stretched out type

For cut arms go lighter weight and more reps to get very defined arms.
    For cut arms, eat less food and stick in the 6-8 rep range or so.

For bigger arms eat more food and work in the 8-20 rep range.

NOTE: Ranges vary per person.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I have an arms day in addition to my power days...I have found this to be the most successful for me in terms of arm size. Keep in mind that they don't grow quickly and are often just genetically long and lean.