Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mendelson's bench this weekend?

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar

Mendelson's bench this weekend?

does anyone have any video of Scot Mendelson's 1031 this weekend?

or even the misses at over 1100?

I heard he lifted at a lighter weight too.....???
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Mendy missed 1100 back in August of this year... You can see the vid on youtube or WBB forum.

I cant find any vid on the 1031 though... I read he had a problem w/ his lock-out due to not being able to get full extension on one arm.

At any rate, the guys one of the greatest benchers ever, and consistanly smokes 1000+ on the bench. Congrates!
    RC

Video is now up on PL watch... And he did it @ 275!

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

I can't seem to find the video of his 1025, but I could swear his arms both locked out fine in that one

Regardless, getting reds and then talking to judges so they change it to whites is a little shady.

I know people are saying it came unlocked at the end because it's so heavy, but Ryan Kennelly never had a problem holding it at the top

Video

I'm not picking on Mendelson, but something about that doesn't look quite right. Maybe I'm not remembering his 1025 bench accurately.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Scots 1025 is right around the 8:00 mark here.

Looks pretty even to me, but the video isn't super clear I guess

Video
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 12-16-2009 at 10:38 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

To me, the 1031 looks very sloppy. He heaves it and presses it very straight blowing through where he should have started to flare and drift back. It looks like the bar dips, then he starts to flare. It looks like he ratchets it to lockout. The discussion about whether it was locked or not is irrelevant. It gets reds before it even got to that point.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    If I remember right Mendy's 1025 was a thing of beauty... and the vid is a tough to tell but it doesn't look locked to me. I have a training partner that actually locks out lower than where he started due to compression, but his elbows are at less than a 5 degree angle, meaning it is locked out. I just think Mendy was sloppy on the press and couldn't lock it.

I can't tell from the angle I saw but I agree that the elbows don't look locked out. Regardless, my problem is that he had to go and have the judges OVERTURN the decision. That's my only issue. The bench really doesn't look that bad to me otherwise. Other than a bad angle video that the elbows look questionable on, I can't trash the bench. It looks like he hit it pretty legitimately this time.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Agreed with all of you. He got reds, it should have stayed reds

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Agreed with all of you. He got reds, it should have stayed reds
    Agreed. It was not a good lift.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    Agreed. It was not a good lift.
    just to clarify, I was agreeing to the fact that the matter of whether or not his lift was good wasn't the main issue, rather the fact that he got reds initially, went and talked with the judges and got it overturned to whites

Ok.

So agreed on that.
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 12-17-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Travis, under most circumstances I would agree with you. Having said that though, I've red lighted a lifter for not locking an arm out before, then overturned it.
    Lifters tell me about an elbow (or whatever) in the hall the night before, or in the warm-up room, or at a restaurant, or on the elevator etc.
    Sometimes they assume because I've judged them several times and they've had the injury every time that I should remember by now.
    A lot of time I DO remember. But not every time.
    If I make a mistake that's brought to my attention (particularly before the lifter leaves the platform) I'll correct it if I can.

I wasn't at this meet. I'm not saying this is what happened there, because I don't know. But if the only reason a lifter is denied a lift is due to judging error/forgetfulness, the lifter shouldn't punished for that.

it looks like his right arm wasn't locking and he twisted and raised his right shoulder to compensate then the bar started to dip on the right side. I think he could have nailed that lift, but had an issue there at the end.

Wannabebig Member
    I was at that meet. I don't have any additional video, but yeah he was red-lighted for unlocking his arms at the top. After 5-10 minutes of speaking to the refs and looking at video on the videographer's camera, the refs overturned their decision and approved the lift. He jumped to 1130, missing it twice and dumping it onto his belly once. I would say he's lucky he didn't crush anything with that kind of weight on his belly. To paraphrase what he said afterwards in the warm-up area "it wasn't heavy, I just felt it slipping."

It was a little annoying too since after one of my training partners dumped the bar at the end of the first flight of squats mendelson insisted the gym take down the safety straps they put up before the second flight, then told any lifters that if they let the bar hit the ground he would DQ them, and that if they didn't like that they could DQ themselves with no refund. Then of course it takes 6+ people to pull the bar off of the guy and they have nowhere to put it except the floor.

He said he lifted in the 275s and during the awards ceremony he put his weight at 296, saying he had food poisoning earlier in the week and lost 23 lbs.
    Last edited by Schameson; 12-16-2009 at 02:14 PM.

What was going on with the rest of the lifters while this "instant replay" and "discussion" occurred? Did they stop the meet for it? That'd suck if you were the next lifter.

The judges should have refused to look at the replay since that's not part of the rule book. I guarantee Joe Average benching 400 lbs wouldn't be able to get the judges to review his lift on video. Why should one lifter get special treatment?

I doubt you'll see another top lifter stop a meet to have judges review his lift on video. Plus, that angle isn't even that good. The judges had MUCH better angles from their chairs. Why use that video to over turn the lift?
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    Travis, under most circumstances I would agree with you. Having said that though, I've red lighted a lifter for not locking an arm out before, then overturned it.
    Lifters tell me about an elbow (or whatever) in the hall the night before, or in the warm-up room, or at a restaurant, or on the elevator etc.
    Sometimes they assume because I've judged them several times and they've had the injury every time that I should remember by now.
    If I make a mistake that's brought to my attention (particularly before the lifter leaves the platform) I'll correct it if I can.

I wasn't at this meet. I'm not saying this is what happened there, because I don't know. But if the only reason a lifter is denied a lift is due to judging error/forgetfulness, the lifter shouldn't punished for that.
    Agreed... Apparently Scot informed them prior to lifting about not being able to fully extend his right elbow. Maybe thats the reason it took a little longer to get the rack command? Not the mans fault if they forgot and they're late on calling "rack"... IMHO
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post

I respect that for sure.

I'm always cautious in these types of situations, but I just can't seem to get past his 1025 bench being picture perfect and his 1031, he's got an elbow injury that makes it extremely apparant when the bar is so angled like that. Yet we're told he's had an injury for quite some time now?

Point being, if a couple referees decide on their own to reverse a lift, that's cool. But when they don't until the lifter goes up and argues with them and they use the videographer's tape to review it, it just doesn't seem right.

If it was that easy, couldn't he have hit it on his second attempt?

And to the above poster, I was told (second hand mind you) by some who were there that Mendelson did not inform the judges of his elbow problem until after the lift.

Like I said though, I could be totally off base here and he does have a legit elbow problem.

Wannabebig Member
    i am not a fan of mendleson, saw him bench several meets and none locked out, his best clean lift was done raw low 700's, he is a dick at meets,has failed w/ 1000 or over more than anyone else, his claim to fame is TRIED or handled 1,000 more than anyone else, best clean and lockout with that kind of weight was Gene Rychlak, Ryan Kennaly also is great.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    What was going on with the rest of the lifters while this "instant replay" and "discussion" occurred? Did they stop the meet for it? That'd suck if you were the next lifter.

The judges should have refused to look at the replay since that's not part of the rule book. I guarantee Joe Average benching 400 lbs wouldn't be able to get the judges to review his lift on video. Why should one lifter get special treatment?

I doubt you'll see another top lifter stop a meet to have judges review his lift on video. Plus, that angle isn't even that good. The judges had MUCH better angles from their chairs. Why use that video to over turn the lift?
    Actually that's exactly what happened. I was the third squat in the second flight and after the first flight Mendelson took 5 minutes to lecture the lifters and another 5 to lecture the spotters. So much for timing my warm-ups. I was afraid I was gonna miss my opener since it had been 30+ minutes since my last warm-up because of that, then there was another delay during the replay.
    Last edited by Schameson; 12-16-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    To me, the 1031 looks very sloppy. He heaves it and presses it very straight blowing through where he should have started to flare and drift back. It looks like the bar dips, then he starts to flare. It looks like he ratchets it to lockout. The discussion about whether it was locked or not is irrelevant. It gets reds before it even got to that point.
    Those kinds of weights tend to have a mind of their own.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I am not stating whetther I think the lift was good or not. Here is something I dont understand...I didnt know there was such a thing as video replay in powerlifting? How does he get to call the guys over and replay a vid to the judge to get a call overturned? Once the call is made, its made.....isnt that what we tell the internet judges that we all get pissed at? If he can do it at the meet, then all internet judges were just validated.......crap
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    I am not stating whetther I think the lift was good or not. Here is something I dont understand...I didnt know there was such a thing as video replay in powerlifting? How does he get to call the guys over and replay a vid to the judge to get a call overturned? Once the call is made, its made.....isnt that what we tell the internet judges that we all get pissed at? If he can do it at the meet, then all internet judges were just validated.......crap

I've been thinking the same thing after watching the video. I was hoping it would die down and the internet dip****s wouldn't notice. This may be the opening of a opening a huge can of worms.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I use to be a fan of mendelsons. I still consider him one of the best raw and equipped benchers of all time. But it seems that of late he brings more negative to the meets that he attends then positive. I hope I am wrong. I hope its just a bad patch of time. I keep looking at the lift and its hard to call it either way for me. I think in the end we have to stick with the final decision, the lift is good and he is the new owner of a 275lbs benchpress world record. Good for him. I think the judging could have been handled better. Tell Mendy to see you after the meet or during the transition from bench to deadlift. Dont hold the other guys up. I think the best thing out of the whole situation is Rob Luyandos responce. Well done Mendy in taking my record, I am taking it back though. Well done Rob.
    Last edited by george okunev; 12-16-2009 at 10:33 PM.