Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louie Simmons working with Crossfit

Death to the World!

Louie Simmons working with Crossfit

Here is a fun little video of it. He is now their powerlifting cert expert. It would be awesome to go and do 2 days training and learning under him.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...mmonsIntro.wmv
    SOLI DEO GLORIA!

5'6" 195#
    Raw maxes:
    BP 280ish
    SQ 400ish
    DL 495ish

That's interesting he says he goes to physics professors, calculus professors, and engineers. We have 6 people with engineering or science degrees in our gym.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

It was a really good group of people. I must say I was surprised.

I think they had 3 guys pull 455 plus quaded monster minis off pin 2 which I didn't expect

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    And Chris Mason! I just went over to the CF frontpage and he's on it today. Kept that quiet.

Is Rip no longer associated with crossfit? If those in the know don't want to discuss politics, that's fine, I was just wondering.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    And Chris Mason! I just went over to the CF frontpage and he's on it today. Kept that quiet.

Is Rip no longer associated with crossfit? If those in the know don't want to discuss politics, that's fine, I was just wondering.
    There is a trail of information out there, start at the crossfit wikipedia page. I personally don't rate Crossfit, it would do nothing for me. There are people who pay good dosh to attend the seminars and so on and gain "certification". People like Rippetoe and other notable trainers who have departed from crossfit have done so because they don't believe in its management practices and the suitability of its workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

I just came on here to say that! That was cool to see.

For those of you who care, check out this article. It's a good read and briefly explains why Rip left. If Rip left for those reasons, I can't see Louie Simmons sticking out too long. He absolutely should, though. Louie is the best thing that's happened to CrossFit in a long time.

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.co...2_archive.html

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I just came on here to say that! That was cool to see.

For those of you who care, check out this article. It's a good read and briefly explains why Rip left. If Rip left for those reasons, I can't see Louie Simmons sticking out too long. He absolutely should, though. Louie is the best thing that's happened to CrossFit in a long time.

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.co...2_archive.html
    On a matter of principle Louie Simmons (and any one else worth their salt) shouldn't be involved in Crossfit if it is churning half-baked "certified trainers" from people who pay $1000 for a 2 day course. I had never really looked into Crossfit but if this is what is happening then I agree 100% with Mark Rippetoe and others who left.

In the video Louie says he trains/trained a UFC heavyweight champion, who did/does he strength train?
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Iron4Life
    Here's Chris:

on this CrossFit homepage today: http://www.crossfit.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Word on the street back in the day was that Kevin Randleman trained at Westside.

Maybe Travis could clear that up?

I think the UFC fighter Louie is referring to is Mark Coleman
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

I had a GREAT time!

Louie was quite impressed with the group who visited. They were all quite athletic and some quite strong.

I love the fact they approached Louie and he is now working with them. It will expose Louie's name to a whole new audience, and they will benefit from his incredible training knowledge.

Chris
    Last edited by chris mason; 12-20-2009 at 10:42 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Hamilton View Post
    Word on the street back in the day was that Kevin Randleman trained at Westside.

Maybe Travis could clear that up?
    I have seen pics of him training Rashad Evans in his Book of Methods.

I enjoyed this video - http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/12/...rogramming.tpl

You need to have a crossfit membership to watch the video...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    I have seen pics of him training Rashad Evans in his Book of Methods.
    lol no that's not rashad evans, although that does appear to look like him.

In the picture you are referring to I'm standing about 4 feet in front of the guy

Death to the World!
    Yeah Daniel, that video is awesome. I subscribed to the journal a while back for all of the Dave Tate videos, which are awesome. I have been writing a lot in the comments for that video, my name is Morgan McPherson.
    SOLI DEO GLORIA!

5'6" 195#
    Raw maxes:
    BP 280ish
    SQ 400ish
    DL 495ish

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I enjoyed this video - http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/12/...rogramming.tpl

You need to have a crossfit membership to watch the video...
    That's an awesome video! The $20/year is definitely worth the material you're able to see.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Chris and Travis, really sorry that Jodi and I couldn't make the trip. It would have been great to train with you both. We plan to make it down sometime in the new year, just gotta work our schedule around nationals.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Yeah, I was looking for you! I was really looking forward to meeting you.

Chris

Question for Chris or Travis.

What exactly is Louie doing with crossfit? I mean is he simply introducing them to different types of power lifting exercises or is cross fit setting up a different template from there standard one?
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    That's an awesome video! The $20/year is definitely worth the material you're able to see.
    The Crossfit content publishing is VERY impressive. If there is anything in my mind for where I would like to take WBB on a content level, it's these guys.

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Chris and Travis, really sorry that Jodi and I couldn't make the trip. It would have been great to train with you both. We plan to make it down sometime in the new year, just gotta work our schedule around nationals.
    Hey Anthony,

Hope you're well and I will give you a call to catch up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Question for Chris or Travis.

What exactly is Louie doing with crossfit? I mean is he simply introducing them to different types of power lifting exercises or is cross fit setting up a different template from there standard one?
    Louie is simply teaching them powerlifting

Crossfit often has gyms that are owned by trainers who only train people using CF methods.

However my understanding is that they realized the limitations of the original CF so they began certifications (such as the powerlifting one) where their trainers can come and be taught how to train someone for powerlifting - as an example.

This doesn't mean though that powerlifting is the only way that they train people.

There really isn't one definitive thing anymore that is crossfit, there are many sub categories.

Louie doesn't set up the programs or certs at all. That's all CF. All he did was teach them how we do powerlifting.

I think the misconception initially is that we were beginning to include CF at Westside, which isn't the case, rather we were just sharing our methods with some of the CF folks

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Louie is simply teaching them powerlifting

Crossfit often has gyms that are owned by trainers who only train people using CF methods.

However my understanding is that they realized the limitations of the original CF so they began certifications (such as the powerlifting one) where their trainers can come and be taught how to train someone for powerlifting - as an example.

This doesn't mean though that powerlifting is the only way that they train people.

There really isn't one definitive thing anymore that is crossfit, there are many sub categories.

Louie doesn't set up the programs or certs at all. That's all CF. All he did was teach them how we do powerlifting.

I think the misconception initially is that we were beginning to include CF at Westside, which isn't the case, rather we were just sharing our methods with some of the CF folks
    Thanks for the reply Travis. I assumed that he was teaching them powerlifting methods like you said but was not sure.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Yeah, bottom line, the powers that be at Crossfit are smart enough to realize they can learn from Louie and that is what they are doing. Good stuff!