The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

New York this summer... ideas?

Hey guys,

My wife and I want to go visit New York City this summer and I was wondering what you guys recommend in terms of hotels and food and must sees.

A little about us:

- We don't go to clubs
    - We don't drink at all
    - We're not on a tight budget but don't want it to spend 4000$.
    - We only have a weekend to visit it.
    - I visited when I was yonger about 15 years ago.
    - Would like to stay at a hotel near Timesquare. (more to see from the windows. lol). (maybe you had advice on this)
    - We want the hotel to be very nice and classy.

We plan on going to a broadway show, visiting the twin towers site, probably going to take one of those tour bus things.

Anything else you can recommend?

Thanks,

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

St Regis is nice, but pricey. Waldorf is a notch down, but still nice. To be honest you can go with a regular hotel in Time Square and it will still be nice. I stayed at the Hampton Inn and got a great price and was nice, you just don't have all the arse kissing you get with the St Regis. I would do a Yankee Game, that is always fun. If you are going to a show, hit up Carmines for dinner. It is touristy but it is real good Italian and you can say you went to Carmines.

Quote Originally Posted by _8_Ball View Post
    Hey guys,

My wife and I want to go visit New York City this summer and I was wondering what you guys recommend in terms of hotels and food and must sees.

A little about us:

- We don't go to clubs
    - We don't drink at all
    - We're not on a tight budget but don't want it to spend 4000$.
    - We only have a weekend to visit it.
    - I visited when I was yonger about 15 years ago.
    - Would like to stay at a hotel near Timesquare. (more to see from the windows. lol). (maybe you had advice on this)
    - We want the hotel to be very nice and classy.

We plan on going to a broadway show, visiting the twin towers site, probably going to take one of those tour bus things.

Anything else you can recommend?

Thanks,

The W Hotel in Times Square is nice. It's more of a modern hotel than and old school classy hotel. Central Park in the summer is great. You can do the horse and carriage rides there ( you can pick one up around 59th St and 5th Ave I believe) and you can also rent a boat (on the East side of the park around the 74th Street at the Boat House). You can also check out the Museum of Natural History and Metropolitan Musem of Art, as they are both near or in the park (towards the 70s and 80s). There is also Shakespeare in the Park during the summer, and Summer Stage (which every now and again gets a bigger act).

Just remember one thing about your visit. Times Square is NOT the city, it is a tourist trap. I grew up here and to this day avoid Times Square like the plague.

If you want a hotel that is more trendy, you can check out the Tribeca Grand. That's close to the WTC site. There are tons of great places to eat, so if you give me an idea of what kind of cuisine you like I can better assist. If you hate the Yankees, the new Citi field is nice too. Not into clubs and bars, there are a bunch of Comedy Clubs. Broadway is not my cup of tea so I cant help you there. You could also check out the Philharmonic, Opera, or see who is in town those nights to go see a concert.

I can't ay anything for hotels, I live so close to NYC I always just drive there or take the train and never spend more than a day.

I'll second Carmines for dinner. Reasonably priced, excellent Italian food and you get a lot. My wife and I will usually get one app and one entree and share it and still have something to take home. Get there early for dinner, no later than 4 because there is always a long wait and they only take reservations for parties of 6 or more. If you don't get there early enough they sometimes stop taking names and you're SOL.

I always enjoy Peanut Butter and Co. in Greenwich village. If you like PB&J it's a cool spot for lunch.

Yankee Stadium is a must if you are a sports fan. You'll want to have your tickets in hand before going. You probably won't be able to get them on game day on a weekend without buying from a scalper.

If you like museums, go to the Met. Lots of cool stuff there and it's right by the park.

Don't be afraid to hop in a cab if you lose your way. They're much nicer than they used to be.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

We did a week at the plaza right before trump made changes, the carrage trip is a must for a little romance,, we went to sparks for a good steak and it was great! We did a lot of walking around, my wife is Italian so we had to go to little italy, Time square was cool but buisy as hell! I have stayed at the Hampton Inn that was mentioned previously and it is a nice place where you can save a little 5 star money. Keep this in mind, if you are going to be doing a lot of sight seeing you aint gonna be in the room anyway so who needs a 250 or 400 room?

Love to visit the city, if you know anyone who lives there have them meet you and take you around a little, that is how you really get to know a city!

Have a blast we always do!

Thanks for the replies guys, I showed my wife this info a few days ago and it just her more excited to go. :-)

Which Carmines do you recommend, from what I saw on their site there's 2 in the NYC area.

I know that crime has decreased a lot since the 80's and early 90s. Is NYC relatively safe to be a tourist in these days? Anything to watch out for? When I went it was with 2 adults and one of them had been there about 50 times so he knew exactly where to bring us.

W.

Go to the Carmines on 44th.

Crime is down, but be aware of your surroundings, don't walk down alleys, keep your wallet/cash in your front pockets, don't wear expensive jewelry/watches. Just be smart.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220