The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hacked emails expose some climate change "scientists"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/sc...21climate.html

In a nutshell:
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
    Hundreds of private e-mail messages and documents hacked from a computer server at a British university are causing a stir among global warming skeptics, who say they show that climate scientists conspired to overstate the case for a human influence on climate change.
    This occurred at University of East Anglia, which is a university in Norwhich, England. I am hoping that the mainstream media reports on this because for a while I have wondered if there is a conflict of interest with regards to climate change research because the outcomes of the results of their research directly affect whether or not they receive money from the government for more research (and how much they receive).

I don't know how frequently this is occurring but it's my personal opinion that this is most likely fairly widespread. I have had professors (teaching environmental engineering) who have said that in general when there are climate change conferences or conventions that skeptics tend to get intimidated and generally ignored.

What do you guys think of this story and and climate change in general? It will be very interesting seeing which networks air this story and which don't. Also I wonder if the scientists who got their server hacked will be reprimanded by their peers.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I doubt it will get any real media attention, "global warming" is to big of a buisness.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

"include discussions of scientific data and whether it should be released, exchanges about how best to combat the arguments of skeptics, and casual comments — in some cases derisive — about specific people known for their skeptical views. Drafts of scientific papers and a photo collage that portrays climate skeptics on an ice floe were also among the hacked data, some of which dates back 13 years."

There is nothing wrong with this.

"In one e-mail exchange, a scientist writes of using a statistical “trick” in a chart illustrating a recent sharp warming trend. In another, a scientist refers to climate skeptics as “idiots.”"
    They should go in to more detail about this... statistical tricks are always used to explain data.

They really didn't show anything to suggest these scientists were doing anything wrong... they may have been dicks but that doesn't make them bad scientists lol.

A bunch of people I know are in to evolution and genetics. You can imagine their distaste for the concept of Intelligent Design. I guess it's the same in the global warming scene.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 11-21-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I've read some of these emails, none of them seem to reflect poorly on the scientists. Trust me, as a military scientist, we have said much worse things about our own troops, our bosses, the navy, our families, and enemy troops. We also use language that if taken out of context, would probably make us look terrible. Nothing I saw out of their emails seems inappropriate. (I didn't read all of them obviously, but what I saw reported wasn't bad.) Plus, I dislike the way the evidence was gathered, and I hope for the scientists sake nothing private will be used by the hackers against them. Although considering how far the hackers have gone, I think its probably a distinct possibility.

In regard to global warming, I was skeptic for a long time but I'm inconclusive now. There is a lot of evidence it is occurring, but a lot of it is questionable. I also have basically zero expertise in climate science, other than knowing it is notoriously difficult to model. In these circumstances I'd defer to the opinion of the experts, (who quite frankly don't have tons to gain either way, at least in comparison to some other lobbies), who I think in the majority believe in climate warming. However, I also think its difficult to predict what will happen, so again, not sure how seriously to take their opinion.

Even if its not actually occurring, the easiest cure for global warming would be to cut back on government spending and military adventurism (how much carbon does government waste contribute). Also, if individuals simply consumed less and invested more (less consumption is less carbon and global warming gases in the air, more investment creates better capital, more efficiency in the production system, less carbon in the air again). The government could help this by lowering capital gains taxes and having less interference in the rates markets.
    Last edited by nejar462; 11-21-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

BFGUITAR, maybe I made a mistake by posting the NYT's version of the story. I'll post one that gives more of the dirt later today, I'm on my iPod right now and about to take a nap.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 11-21-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    I've read some of these emails, none of them seem to reflect poorly on the scientists. Trust me, as a military scientist, we have said much worse things about our own troops, our bosses, the navy, our families, and enemy troops. We also use language that if taken out of context, would probably make us look terrible. Nothing I saw out of their emails seems inappropriate. (I didn't read all of them obviously, but what I saw reported wasn't bad.) Plus, I dislike the way the evidence was gathered, and I hope for the scientists sake nothing private will be used by the hackers against them. Although considering how far the hackers have gone, I think its probably a distinct possibility.

In regard to global warming, I was skeptic for a long time but I'm inconclusive now. There is a lot of evidence it is occurring, but a lot of it is questionable. I also have basically zero expertise in climate science, other than knowing it is notoriously difficult to model. In these circumstances I'd defer to the opinion of the experts, (who quite frankly don't have tons to gain either way, at least in comparison to some other lobbies), who I think in the majority believe in climate warming. However, I also think its difficult to predict what will happen, so again, not sure how seriously to take their opinion.

Even if its not actually occurring, the easiest cure for global warming would be to cut back on government spending and military adventurism (how much carbon does government waste contribute). Also, if individuals simply consumed less and invested more (less consumption is less carbon and global warming gases in the air, more investment creates better capital, more efficiency in the production system, less carbon in the air again). The government could help this by lowering capital gains taxes and having less interference in the rates markets.
    Well said.
    No matter whether global warming is caused by man or not, we obviously need to lower our carbon emissions, save energy, and use new processes. Both the global warming skeptics and believers can agree with this.

Yeh you can be right. I would like to read the emails if possible.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 11-21-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post

Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

There are enormous amounts of dollars riding on "green" technology. entire industries are developing to nurture the idea using the US Government as venture capital.

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/11/03/...to-make-green/

generally, speaking, no one can be trusted.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...lobal-warming/

I'm really not sure if you guys look at the climate change industry (for lack of a better term) the same way that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by nejar
    In these circumstances I'd defer to the opinion of the experts, (who quite frankly don't have tons to gain either way, at least in comparison to some other lobbies), who I think in the majority believe in climate warming.
    The experts *do* have tons to gain for pushing evidence of or exaggeration of climate change, and the anthropogenic type even moreso. If the Earth is heating up and the effects of this heating are drastic then that means more public and government support of more research into this field as well as research into how to "fix" the problem. And when talking about government support and funding then we are talking about literally billions of dollars a year. Increased funding into an industry means more jobs and higher pay so to say that scientists don't have a conflict of interest and pro-climate change conclusions should not be looked upon suspiciously is just patently false.

What's more is that there have been many claims that skeptics within the field have been silenced and these emails give those claims, in my opinion, the evidence needed to prove that this is in fact the case.

This becomes even more worrying when you think about things on a larger scale. There are already so many factions that do not believe in some conclusions that science has come up with (evolution being one of them) that really *are* true and by having these climate change scientists compromise the integrity of the scientific community we set ourselves back years, possibly even decades, with regards to these factions and the public in general trusting the scientific community.

It's sad because funding into research for this sort of stuff has arguably caused a serious hiccup. And if there really IS major global warming and it DOES have dire effects then scientists don't have the trust needed to get the ball rolling like we should. And for the record I don't really dispute that the Earth is heating up, I don't know what kind of effect humans are having on climate change, BUT I *do* know that I don't think the government is the answer to the problem especially considering (as noted above) that our government is the biggest polluting entity on the planet.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 11-21-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Here's another article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ibd/20091120...091120issues01

The Ada (Oklahoma) Evening News quotes Inhofe: "So when Barbara Boxer, John Kerry and all the left get up there and say, 'Yes. We're going to pass a global warming bill,' I will be able to stand up and say, 'No, it's over. Get a life. You lost. I won,'" Inhofe said.

Now we have the German publication Der Spiegel, which is rapidly becoming the house organ for climate hysteria, weighing in again with the sad news that the earth does not have a fever so we really don't have to throw out the baby with the rising bath water.

In an article titled, "Climatologists Baffled By Global Warming Time-Out," author Gerald Traufetter leads off with the observation: "Climatologists are baffled as to why average global temperatures have stopped rising over the last 10 years." They better figure it out, Der Spiegel warns, because "billions of euros are at stake in the negotiations."

We are told in sad tones that "not much is happening with global warming at the moment" and that "it even looks as though global warming could come to a standstill this year." But how can it be that the earth isn't following all those computer models? Is the earth goddess Gaia herself a climate change "denier"?

The article gloomily notes that a few weeks ago Britain's Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research pointed out that the earth had in fact only warmed 0.07 degree Celsius from 1999 to 2008 and not by the 0.2 degree Celsius predicted by the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

An even more inconvenient truth, according to the British experts, is that when their figures are adjusted for two naturally occurring climate phenomena, El Nino and La Nina, the resulting temperature trend is reduced to 0.0 degree Celsius. No, that's not a typo.

As if that weren't enough, it seems hackers broke into the computer network run by the Hadley Climate Research Unit, removing 61 megabytes of e-mails and data.

While we don't condone theft, the hacked data and e-mails have spilled onto the Web and reveal something startling: The scientists at Hadley, one of the world's leading climate change study centers, aren't scientifically objective at all.

Indeed, in e-mails, they boast of twisting scientific data to suit their views and to "hide" the truth. At one point, a scientist actually gloats over the death of global warming skeptic John L. Daly, saying, "In an odd way, this is cheering news."

If true, this is massive scientific fraud.

To add to the warm-mongers' woes, patron saint Al Gore, the man who claimed to have invented the Internet, might also have claimed the discovery of Photoshop. Dr. Roy Spencer, of the University of Alabama at Huntsville, formerly with NASA, has taken a look at the pictures used to illustrate Gore's new book, "Our Choice: A Plan To Solve the Climate Crisis."

Gore Photoshopped NASA imagery of the earth for the fold-out cover photo, adding four hurricanes at once, including one spinning in the wrong direction next to Florida and, in a physical impossibility, one on the equator next to Peru. Somewhere in the process, the island of Cuba was deleted.

It is the warm-mongers who are spinning in the wrong direction. We win. You lose. Get a life.

Hopefully people will demand that the politicians, environmentalists, professors, and rediculous media will be held accountable for the economic distruction that has occurred by brainwashing the unthinking masses into a race for "greeny world". People wake up and realize this is just another tool to take away freedom and expand socialism.
    Last edited by bluelew; 11-21-2009 at 07:07 PM.

break out the guillotine, a politician lied for personal gain.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    There are enormous amounts of dollars riding on "green" technology. entire industries are developing to nurture the idea using the US Government as venture capital.

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/11/03/...to-make-green/

generally, speaking, no one can be trusted.
    Just like there are people who manufacture plastics, sell gasoline, and burn coal, who all have vested interests in perpetuating the idea that global warming is a scam.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Just like there are people who manufacture plastics, sell gasoline, and burn coal, who all have vested interests in perpetuating the idea that global warming is a scam.
    at least you can trust greed for what it is. the leaders supporting agendas like those being discussed here mislead yuppies to carry their rally cry under the ruse of a morality. its pathetic.

Apparently it's all a load of crap, there's nothing damaging in the e-mails at all. Just more fodder for the anti-AGW knuckle-draggers to foam over.

I don't know if global warming is man made or not, but I do know energy and cheap energy are becoming scarce. I would like to see a law mandating that in the next 15 years all homes have whatever % be from green sources, wind, solar, geothermal. In 20 years 100% of energy used in a home is green. There is a 6000 sq ft home here that costs $500 a month for energy, they have wind, solar and geothermal and it costs $50 a month and you are off the grid.

I believe we have to become more self sufficient and turn away from our government.

I'm no green freak by any standard, but since I read about the Great Pacific Garbage patch in Rolling Stone it's on my mind pretty often. I don't think there's any more blatant display of our irresponsibility than this..

It's the size of Texas.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    The experts *do* have tons to gain for pushing evidence of or exaggeration of climate change, and the anthropogenic type even moreso. If the Earth is heating up and the effects of this heating are drastic then that means more public and government support of more research into this field as well as research into how to "fix" the problem.
    So your theory is that climate scientists all realized that if they lied about global warming they could increase their funding and thus slightly increase their salaries? Climate scientists aren't paid a lot. This lobby is not like the oil or banking lobbies. They really aren't playing with big bucks. Why don't scientists in various fields come together in other areas and create giant conspiracies. BTW, a lot of global warming skeptics are paid for by large energy companies so its at least a wash between both sides.

And when talking about government support and funding then we are talking about literally billions of dollars a year. Increased funding into an industry means more jobs and higher pay so to say that scientists don't have a conflict of interest and pro-climate change conclusions should not be looked upon suspiciously is just patently false.
    This is patently crazy. Trust me, scientists don't form coalitions to lie to the general public. They barely get along with each other as it is. Also, since they're actually never paid very well, at most they stand to gain is maybe 20-30k a year. I have to reiterate compared to some other lobbies, they just aren't playing with big money. Also, do you really think a guy who was greedy for money in the first place would go into climate science?

What's more is that there have been many claims that skeptics within the field have been silenced and these emails give those claims, in my opinion, the evidence needed to prove that this is in fact the case.
    If it was silenced you wouldn't have heard of it. What emails actually show that they have been silencing anything?

It's sad because funding into research for this sort of stuff has arguably caused a serious hiccup. And if there really IS major global warming and it DOES have dire effects then scientists don't have the trust needed to get the ball rolling like we should. And for the record I don't really dispute that the Earth is heating up, I don't know what kind of effect humans are having on climate change, BUT I *do* know that I don't think the government is the answer to the problem especially considering (as noted above) that our government is the biggest polluting entity on the planet.
    So you think that research into global warming has caused a hiccup because it reveals global warming is happening and is man made, which people don't trust. Then since they don't trust the conclusion, they will never believe it if it actually was happening. This is cyclical logic. I agree with your spiel on the government though.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Gamer/Lifter
    Some looney said this, what a nutter he must be.

Now this theory is really crazy and off the wall so please hang in there.

Apparently there this large round object in space which just so happens to be super hot and a million times bigger then earth. Yes I know that can't be right can it? well you see apparently we can see it everyday too, which is another crazy thing. Either way this big round thingy that's yellow, hot, and million times bigger then our planet apparently heats our earth.

And some loonies out there believe that if it gets hotter earth gets hotter, and if it gets cooler, earth cooler.

It's really wacky and crazy I know.

O another thing I heard that was crazy, this must be a complete lie, but 70% of green house gases is water. Which is a crazy to think that! I mean why would we make a big deal out of C02 if it only made up a small part of our atmosphere?

Crazy loonies thinking the sun (o yea that's what the loonies are calling the big round yellow thing in the sky, so they claim) and that water vapor makes up 70%

And everything one of those loonies talk they use something called "facts" who needs facts? I mean well all know Tupacs Dad killed JFK.
    Freaking crazy loonies.

Either way I'm going have dinner with Jesus, Abe Lincoln, and FDR.

O yea, and those loonies are saying that those people are dead! However they aren't I see them in my head everyday right alongside the voices.

In all seriousness I hoped you laugh.
    Last edited by Nik00117; 11-22-2009 at 09:19 AM.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    O another thing I heard that was crazy, this must be a complete lie, but 70% of green house gases is water. Which is a crazy to think that! I mean why would we make a big deal out of C02 if it only made up a small part of our atmosphere?
    Skeptics say this a lot but it betrays their lack of experience in chemistry. There are many reactions which are very sensitive to small fluctuations in initial production reactions. Complex systems often follow the same pattern. It is not a viable argument against man made global warming.

Gamer/Lifter
    Skeptics say this a lot but it betrays their lack of experience in chemistry. There are many reactions which are very sensitive to small fluctuations in initial production reactions. Complex systems often follow the same pattern. It is not a viable argument against man made global warming.
    The whole argument though revolves around the sun being the primary effect on earth heating up.

Which if that's man made we should really make it illegal to drive cars on the sun.

Or maybe we should just block it out.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    The whole argument though revolves around the sun being the primary effect on earth heating up.
    That's obviously true. However, the temperature of the earth, or anything, not only depends on the heat energy in, but the heat energy out.

For example, if the earth, at the most extreme, NEVER lost heat energy, it would eventually get to an infinite temperature (ludicrous result) but it shows rate of loss is as important as rate of gain.

Space, being a vacuum, essentially insulates the earth, making losses entirely dependent on irradiation, which is directly affected by global warming.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar

The air you breath is ~80% nitrogen and ~20% oxygen. I guess we really shouldn't be making such a big deal about oxygen.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

its probably reasonable to assert that the gases within the atmosphere must be in a certain, balanced range to sustain life. if we start scrubbing CO2, what is next? panic from over-saturation of oxygen?

if its not CO2, it will be something else in the near future. i'm not saying to ignore the problem, but substitution is not the answer & will lead to the same dilemma.

Some looney said this, what a nutter he must be.

Now this theory is really crazy and off the wall so please hang in there.

Apparently there this large round object in space which just so happens to be super hot and a million times bigger then earth. Yes I know that can't be right can it? well you see apparently we can see it everyday too, which is another crazy thing. Either way this big round thingy that's yellow, hot, and million times bigger then our planet apparently heats our earth.

And some loonies out there believe that if it gets hotter earth gets hotter, and if it gets cooler, earth cooler.

It's really wacky and crazy I know.

Crazy loonies thinking the sun (o yea that's what the loonies are calling the big round yellow thing in the sky, so they claim) and that water vapor makes up 70%

And everything one of those loonies talk they use something called "facts" who needs facts? I mean well all know Tupacs Dad killed JFK.
    Freaking crazy loonies.

Either way I'm going have dinner with Jesus, Abe Lincoln, and FDR.

O yea, and those loonies are saying that those people are dead! However they aren't I see them in my head everyday right alongside the voices.

In all seriousness I hoped you laugh.
    CO2 plays a HUGE role. Don't down play it. There is a reason why the CO2 cycle is taught in high school.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    CO2 plays a HUGE role. Don't down play it. There is a reason why the CO2 cycle is taught in high school.

And it has nothing to do with global warming in this particular context.