Thread: Disputing Credit Card Charge

Disputing Credit Card Charge

I want to dispute a credit card charge.

I had some routine maintenance done on my car at 60k miles as said in the owners manual. I had the timing belt replaced and before it was replaced there were no noises. But once it was placed they tightened the tensioner too tightly and it was making a whipping/whining noise. So, I brought the car back in today, but if it's not fixed I am going to file a credit card dispute because I paid for a service that was not done properly and should not have to pay for a service that was not done properly. I am willing to pay for the parts that were a part of the bill, but not the labor of putting on the timing belt.

My question is: would someone else do this? Is it reasonable to file a dispute over $123.70? I just want a business to do services correctly. I'm not trying to rip anyone off because I want to give money to people that do services correctly.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

New belts usually make noises until they are broken in. Are you sure something is wrong?
    Last edited by blackboard; 12-21-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackboard View Post
    New belts usually make noises until they are broken in.
    Actually, they don't. If the belt is put on properly and tensioned correctly there is absolutely no reason for the noise to be present. Especially after the vehicle has been drive a couple hundred miles. Belts are made out of specific materials, with specific widths and depths so that noises are not made on the vehicle. A belt will make noises if it's not put on properly, if it is not the right belt, or if it is worn.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by blackboard View Post
    New belts usually make noises until they are broken in. Are you sure something is wrong?
    I brought my car in and there was no noise.

I drive my car home and there is a loud whining noise from the motor. The noise did not stop after driving for over 200 miles. I brought the car to a mechanic for a second opinion and was told it was a tensioner.

I don't want to dispute the charge. I want to give the company the money for the service. As long as the service they provided is of good quality that did what the purchase was intended for.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Footballer
    that's what you get for replacing a part 40k miles early.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

wouldnt think timing belt would make noise, i would be complaining as well
    PR's
    weight-200lbs
    BP-285
    SQ-333
    DL-509

you can absolutely dispute faulty labor work. I would complain to the shop first and tell them you're unhappy and you plan to dispute the charge unless they rectify the problem

Quote Originally Posted by BigRic View Post
    that's what you get for replacing a part 40k miles early.
    Com'on. My OM recommends I change it at 60k. I changed it at 60,520.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

to answer your original question, yes I would file a complaint. It's not so much the money more than it is paying for a service that was done improperly. I don't think the CC company can help much since it has already been charged and service took place already. I would talk to the dealership about getting a credit for the service and let them know you feel the work was unsatisfactory and let them see for themselves. If they are reputable they will fix the problem free of charge, or give you a discount on next service or something..

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    you can absolutely dispute faulty labor work. I would complain to the shop first and tell them you're unhappy and you plan to dispute the charge unless they rectify the problem
    This. You probably should have gone straight back when you heard the noise, but hindsight is always 20/20. I would definitely go to them now, though. Not sure how far you will get with the credit card company, you'll probably have more luck with the shop. Most shops don't want to lose business and it should be pretty easy to show they didn't do a proper job. Just have them look at the belt.

Need more info. It is normal to replace the tensioner on all timing belt jobs. If you turned down this service then I think you have no reason. You didn't pay them to change the tensioner, and now the tensioner is bad so I don't see the issue. If you had them replace the tensioner and now they won't warranty that then I would pursue action.
    Nick V

First, go to the place who did the work. Give them a chance, things happen. Just because they put the belt on wrong, doesn't mean they are a bad business. Sometimes the belt goes on, seems ok, but really isn't. **** happens.

If they blow you off, you are in great luck. In order for a business to accept credit cards, they have to agree to a bunch of terms. One of them is that the credit card company can issue whats called a charge-back. This basically means that you file a complaint, and the credit card company almost automatically accept the complaint because they just debit the money from the merchant. It is the merchants responsibility to avoid charge backs, the consumer is given benefit of the doubt.

This will pretty much work 100%.

if it is the timing belt making a noise i have it checked out asap...
    PR's
    weight-200lbs
    BP-285
    SQ-333
    DL-509

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    $123.60 for a timing belt change? Holy **** that"s cheap.
    What kind of car?
    This post adds nothing as everything has been covered so...carry on.
    I agree with Unreal. That tensioner traveled in a certain path at a certain tension for 60k miles.
    it should have been replaced.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.