Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dumbells build a bigger chest barbells build a bigger ego.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

dumbells build a bigger chest barbells build a bigger ego.

Not to be taken literally I know a lot of people here train seriously with barbells including myself. So what I'm trying to say is that dumbbells are superior for chest mass.

I know its all very individual but what does everyone think about that? I don't have enough experience working with dumbells over barbells so I can't really make a call on this.

Thoughts?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    what I'm trying to say is that dumbbells are superior for chest mass.

I don't have enough experience working with dumbells over barbells so I can't really make a call on this.
    So what made you decide Dumbbells are superior for mass?

really don't know if dumbell are better for mass than barbells, but dumbells i think are better for range of motion,better stretches,contrating the muscle better,uses stablizer muscle more effectly., work around injurys better. this just my take.
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

What happens when you can lift more than 240 lbs? (my gym's db's go up to 120)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    If you bb bench 240lbs it doesn t mean you can db bench 240.If you can db bench your 120 strict for a set of 10 add another set until you can get 3 sets of 10 reps.Once you can get that switch over and try to do it on incline with db.This will take some time to accomplish.Once you can db flat & incline those 120's for reps and sets and need heavier db's it s time to find a new gym or try to get your gym to get heavier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ33 View Post
    If you bb bench 240lbs it doesn t mean you can db bench 240.If you can db bench your 120 strict for a set of 10 add another set until you can get 3 sets of 10 reps.Once you can get that switch over and try to do it on incline with db.This will take some time to accomplish.Once you can db flat & incline those 120's for reps and sets and need heavier db's it s time to find a new gym or try to get your gym to get heavier ones.
    .....................................no i don't think that's how it works

Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    So what made you decide Dumbbells are superior for mass?
    +1

How can you make these claims when you say you don't know enough to make the claim?
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by David Trantham View Post
    really don't know if dumbell are better for mass than barbells, but dumbells i think are better for range of motion,better stretches,contrating the muscle better,uses stablizer muscle more effectly., work around injurys better. this just my take.
    based on your description, wouldn't that make dumbbells superior to barbells in terms of hypertrophy? The more efficiently you can work the muscle, the more you're working towards hypertrophy.

Through personal experience, I have found that dumbbells make me grow more than barbells. When the 120s weren't enough for my 3 sets of 10, I started doing unilateral training with one side contracted (ie, pressing both dumbbells up to full contraction, then only pressing with one arm).. Try doing these alternating for a difference too. When the 120s weren't enough for me, I brought in plate loaded oly dumbbells to load to my specification.

I'm not dogging barbells at all, I love flat barbell and incline barbell. I also attribute some growth to incline barbell, as the stretch on the pectorals is amazing. I've also found that db flyes, both incline and flat, are good for growth.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Dumbbells do provide a superior range of motion and the instability of a fixed bar forcing a higher level of adapation.

However this is a double edged sword... Getting a pair of 120+lbs dumbbells to your chest can be pretty damn daunting and riskier. Plus, it is harder to load a dumbbell in micro-increments.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    However this is a double edged sword... Getting a pair of 120+lbs dumbbells to your chest can be pretty damn daunting and riskier. Plus, it is harder to load a dumbbell in micro-increments.
    Nobody's saying jump to a dumbbell 1RM, I think that is silly.

Hypertrophy is specific to a higher rep range, time under tension.. if you can't do 90s for 15, I wouldn't suggest jumping to 120s.. you have to be smart with your increases..

I agree, however, that you can't load a dumbbell in micro-incremements, unless you have micro-plates.

Then again, I rearely add 2.5s on the barbell, so a 5lb increase per hand would be normal for me.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I agree with both of these posts, and have always preferred training with dumbbells for flat bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by David Trantham View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    based on your description, wouldn't that make dumbbells superior to barbells in terms of hypertrophy? The more efficiently you can work the muscle, the more you're working towards hypertrophy.

Through personal experience, I have found that dumbbells make me grow more than barbells. When the 120s weren't enough for my 3 sets of 10, I started doing unilateral training with one side contracted (ie, pressing both dumbbells up to full contraction, then only pressing with one arm).. Try doing these alternating for a difference too. When the 120s weren't enough for me, I brought in plate loaded oly dumbbells to load to my specification.

I'm not dogging barbells at all, I love flat barbell and incline barbell. I also attribute some growth to incline barbell, as the stretch on the pectorals is amazing. I've also found that db flyes, both incline and flat, are good for growth.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    +1

How can you make these claims when you say you don't know enough to make the claim?
    I'm not making a claim I'm striking up a legitimate discussion.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Thanks for responding Dave, Jsully, and Tom. I was hoping some guys with BBing experience would chime in.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Absoultely Dumbbells are better for hypertrophy than barbells. You get a better range of motion and can move dumbbells in the correct plane to stimulate more muscle and target train the chest more efficiently. Always press the DB up, together and slightly back to stimulate the most fibers.

With barbells there are limits and if someone has longer or shorter arms will effect how much stimulation the chest actually recieves.

Regardless if you use barbells or DBs if you goal is to build chest size you should always put your feet up on the bench for flat presses to create joint stress transefer. This places most of the tension on the upper torso and doesn't allow you to drive thru your legs like you do in powerlifting.

Regardless if you use barbells or DBs if you goal is to build chest size you should always put your feet up on the bench for flat presses to create joint stress transefer. This places most of the tension on the upper torso and doesn't allow you to drive thru your legs like you do in powerlifting.
    This is something interesting that i've never heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    This is something interesting that i've never heard before.
    I agee, I've never heard of this before. I've started implementing more hypertrophy training in my routine, I may have to try this out for my accessory exercises.. Thanks for the info
    Last edited by JSully; 12-22-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post

Just make sure you can handle the weight if you do this. This creates balance issues in alot of people and could cause serious injury if you don't know your limits.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Just make sure you can handle the weight if you do this. This creates balance issues in alot of people and could cause serious injury if you don't know your limits.
    Remember I'm talking about target training not max lifts so that shouldn't be an issue.

no need to bring db's together at the top. just push straight up as if they were a bar
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Remember I'm talking about target training not max lifts so that shouldn't be an issue.
    You'd be surprised, Acress. I've seen people do some strange things.

And people new to lifting may not quite understand that.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    And people new to lifting may not quite understand that.
    I think we cater to new lifters pretty well enough here. I think we lack in advice for the more experienced lifter. I've been training for nearly 7 years and learned something new today.

I certainly wouldn't ask him to refrain from his advice because new lifters might not understand this concept. There has to be some kind of responsibility on the lifter.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    I think we cater to new lifters pretty well enough here. I think we lack in advice for the more experienced lifter. I've been training for nearly 7 years and learned something new today.

I certainly wouldn't ask him to refrain from his advice because new lifters might not understand this concept. There has to be some kind of responsibility on the lifter.
    I don't think I did ask for anyone to refrain from his advice. I think I stated that any lifter doing this needed to use caution.

I'm not crapping on the idea, guys. It seems valid and I may even try it. Better safe than sorry.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by the one View Post
    no need to bring db's together at the top. just push straight up as if they were a bar
    If you want to stimulate the pectoral muscle correctly you always bring the DBs together at the top. That is a very important part of the lift. Understanding the planes and ranges of motion a muscle works in is key to full development.

Soilwork addict.
    If you want to stimulate the pectoral muscle correctly you always bring the DBs together at the top. That is a very important part of the lift. Understanding the planes and ranges of motion a muscle works in is key to full development.
    I recently started using cable flys because there is constant tension even when your hands are together "at the very top" for those reasons you mentioned. DB flys just didnt really cut it for me.
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 12-22-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

I like dumbbell bench more than barbells. I know soreness doesn't mean you're progressing but it at least means that you worked that particular sore muscle. And with barbell bench, I never feel sore in chest, only with the dumbbell version.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs