The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quick question. Would the percentages be based on what I did in my last meet (July), or what I'm doing now (which is considerably lower due to various reasons)?

what ever your doing now. If you cant handle the same weights as last year why try? thats just an injury waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    what ever your doing now. If you cant handle the same weights as last year why try? thats just an injury waiting to happen.
    Thank you. I had assumed as much, but have heard conflicting info (not regarding block periodization etc., but with other programs). Some even say to base your percentages off your projected max. That never really made sense to me, but wanted to throw it out there in case I was missing the boat on something.

Garage Lifter
    I'll be finishing the 30 day Bench Program on January 29th and test a few days later. I'm at a loss on what to do next. My focus is powerlifting, everything else is secondary.

My lifts at the end of the month I should be at 260-225-315 for my lifts. Would Block Periodization be better/same/worse than Texas Method? I imagine the only way to find out is to do it but wanted some additional input.

Thanks in advance,
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Garage Lifter
    BTW, this should be a sticky
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Ronrat7 View Post
    Thank you. I had assumed as much, but have heard conflicting info (not regarding block periodization etc., but with other programs). Some even say to base your percentages off your projected max. That never really made sense to me, but wanted to throw it out there in case I was missing the boat on something.
    In some cases you have to make a best guess on what weight to use and to some extent target weights come into play. For instance, if you are working rack pulls and you dont really have a specific PR on a certain pin, or say that PR is from so long ago it doesnt make sense to use, you will need to plug in a number that makes sense. So if I want to hit 750 deadlift at my next meet, I should be able to pull 715 raw from the lowest pin and if other maxes confirm that I am moving towards that target number than it is OK to use 715 as a max from that pin. Again, if you write out this long cycle, dont expect everything to go to plan. Speaking from my own limited experience, I had some issues getting in the planned sets during the transmutation phase (once because a lack of chalk and using a crappy no knurling bar on low rack pulls and another time using a projected max that was too aggressive).

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I'll be finishing the 30 day Bench Program on January 29th and test a few days later. I'm at a loss on what to do next. My focus is powerlifting, everything else is secondary.

My lifts at the end of the month I should be at 260-225-315 for my lifts. Would Block Periodization be better/same/worse than Texas Method? I imagine the only way to find out is to do it but wanted some additional input.

Thanks in advance,
    If your focus is powerlifting, you must get A LOT bigger, especially at 6'4". I wouldnt worry too much about singles or triples now and I would focus on getting bigger. I think Block would be a lot better than Texas Method, if done right. But you may have just as much success doing something else as well. Things that I would suggest would be:

Assitance work of 5 sets of 10 reps on a core lift (bench, dl, squat variations)
    Chins, rows
    DB bench press
    And hammer the hell out of your glutes, hamstrings, tris, abs and back
    EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT

Garage Lifter
    Would these be good choices for an accumulation block? I left raw and solo.

Monday
    Squat
    Deficiti Pulls
    Paused Squats
    Abs

Tuesday
    Bench Press
    French Press
    Push Press
    BB Rows

Thursday
    Deadlift
    High Box Squat
    GMs
    ABs

Friday
    Close Grip Bench Press
    High Pin Bench Press
    JM Press
    DB Rows

I plan on using the percentages, sets, and reps from Jeremy Frey's example on the 1st two lifts of each day. The other 2 will be done for 5 sets of 10. This would be about 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Would these be good choices for an accumulation block? I left raw and solo.

Monday
    Squat
    Deficiti Pulls
    Paused Squats
    Abs

Tuesday
    Bench Press
    French Press
    Push Press
    BB Rows

Thursday
    Deadlift
    High Box Squat
    GMs
    ABs

Friday
    Close Grip Bench Press
    High Pin Bench Press
    JM Press
    DB Rows

I plan on using the percentages, sets, and reps from Jeremy Frey's example on the 1st two lifts of each day. The other 2 will be done for 5 sets of 10. This would be about 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance
    One problem I see is that you are planning to use percentages for the 1st two movements of the day. Well, the thing is, do you know your maxes for all of those lifts? If so, I guess it wouldn't be as big of a problem. Even still, though, the fatigue factor would probably throw off the percentages for the second exercise significantly.

Accumulation is a lot more about general movements, or movements that work the muscles but not in the same motor pattern as the main lift. The volume on the supplemental exercises is usually a lot higher.

Exercises that fall in the general category would be things like JM Presses, front raises, GHR's, back raises, etc.

With that being said, I think that if you want to compete you are going to need to add a lot of weight like ehubbard said. Longer accumulation blocks with a focus on hypertrophy and strength through volume would probably be a good fit for you at this point.

Garage Lifter
    For maxes I have a pretty good idea of most of them and when I don't I'm going to try to keep them in the 7 or 8 RPE range at first and then load progressively after that.

I'd like to compete at some point but my weight limit is probably 242. Then again, for most of my adult life I said if I was 200lbs I'd be happy.

thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    In some cases you have to make a best guess on what weight to use and to some extent target weights come into play. For instance, if you are working rack pulls and you dont really have a specific PR on a certain pin, or say that PR is from so long ago it doesnt make sense to use, you will need to plug in a number that makes sense. So if I want to hit 750 deadlift at my next meet, I should be able to pull 715 raw from the lowest pin and if other maxes confirm that I am moving towards that target number than it is OK to use 715 as a max from that pin. Again, if you write out this long cycle, dont expect everything to go to plan. Speaking from my own limited experience, I had some issues getting in the planned sets during the transmutation phase (once because a lack of chalk and using a crappy no knurling bar on low rack pulls and another time using a projected max that was too aggressive).
    Just an update. The accumulation phase went pretty well. On the fourth week I did max out to see where I was sittin'. For a phase dedicated to more volume and relatively higher reps, I progressed well over the the weights I based my percentages on. Next week is a deload, then will go into the transmutation phase. Some of the variations of the DL, BP, SQ I will use will be based more on numbers that (as you stated) make sense, as I haven't done some of them in quite awhile. It shouldn't be too hard to get an idea though. I'll be trying to use RPEs as a guideline as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Looks good. Thanks for sharing this.
    38, 6', 207lbs. Lifting since Dec '08 My Lifting Journal
    RAW!!! 240/340/428/T=1008 (Dec 1st @211.5lbs)
    I'm going to get rich by making a device that allows you to reach through the internet and choke people.
    It's going to be rad!!!
    ---------------------------
    “Mastering others requires force. Mastering the self requires strength.”

Wannabebig New Member
    For the transmutation phase, just use percents for the main lift. For your other lifts use rpe's. If you do the transmutation phase for 3 weeks, you can try using rpe 8 for 3reps, rpe 9 for 2 reps and on the last week rpe 10 max single.

Garage Lifter
    There is an article just put up at EliteFTS on this:

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...-powerlifting/