Thread: Where to find a jump rope for tall people

Where to find a jump rope for tall people

I've recently begun jump roping as I enjoy it and am working on bringing up my conditioning. I'm 6'4 and, from the research I've done, I think I need a bigger jump rope. I've searched and they say people over 6ft need a 10ft rope. I have a crappy nylon one now that the PE teacher at the school I work at gave me, but it's very tangled and is hard to use and get into a rhythm with. I've thought about just a regular old rope but I thought that may be too heavy to turn with any speed and it might be too thick. I've looked at sporting goods stores, etc., with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

using a rope gets tiring but it loosens up your shoulders. If you have already looked at sporting goods stores then i dont know where else to look.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Possibly a buddy lee jump rope. The handles should come evenly to the top of both your shoulders. I'm 5'10 and had to trim mine down.

P.S nylon rops are ****. Go with a speed rope.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    I've recently begun jump roping as I enjoy it and am working on bringing up my conditioning. I'm 6'4 and, from the research I've done, I think I need a bigger jump rope. I've searched and they say people over 6ft need a 10ft rope. I have a crappy nylon one now that the PE teacher at the school I work at gave me, but it's very tangled and is hard to use and get into a rhythm with. I've thought about just a regular old rope but I thought that may be too heavy to turn with any speed and it might be too thick. I've looked at sporting goods stores, etc., with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.
    Heavy, thick ropes are used as a training tool, so don't discount them too quick! Jumping rope with a 2 pound rope for a few minutes is a pretty solid workout!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

There are a number of them on Amazon.com ranging from $2.50 to $20.

Just type in a search for "jump rope 10" and you should find what you are looking for.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Heavy, thick ropes are used as a training tool, so don't discount them too quick! Jumping rope with a 2 pound rope for a few minutes is a pretty solid workout!
    agreed

Cool, thanks for the pointers, guys. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about lol, but am interested and having been doing a lot of jumping lately. I will take those ideas and research them. Thanks again, everyone.

Just wanted to say that I took the advice of many of you and decided to buy a Buddy Lee jump rope. I got it the other day, adjusted it, and it works great. Nice and smooth, and it actually has handles lol, which is nice for a change. Thanks for the tips, everyone.