The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Speed day variations

I just read an article by AJ Roberts on EliteFTS, "Five Random Things Iíve Learned at Westside". It was written in May this year. In it he says that the current speed work at Westside is done for fewer sets (3-5) than normal, higher percentages and maybe higher reps (5's instead of 3's) on the bench.

From reading different articles on the net, I've put together 2 Westside style routines earlier this year and was always doing 8-12 sets on DE day, 8 on bench, 10-12 on squat. I just recently purchased a manual by Jim Wendler ("EFS Beginner Training Manual") to have a routine which was set up by an authority rather than myself. In this manual DE day is done with 8-10 sets.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on these two different approaches? AJ Roberts does say that the changes were made because of how advanced the Westside lifters are. I am not advanced, but my joints don't seem to handle the volume too well. Thanks for any input.
    BW: 198
    Raw Maxes
    Current.......Goal for 12/2010
    SQ: 440............465
    BP: 325............340
    DL: 480............505

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Some guys do 5x5. They say the time under tension of 5 reps is closer to a shirted bench. Checkout Travis Bell's log on here. He trains at Westside.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

A lot of times when people can't handle the volume used, it is often a result of using too heavy weight on DE day.

As for DE bench, we wave the accomodating resistance in 3 week waves.

Right now Lou has me waving the volume. Week one was 5 sets of 5, the next week was 6 sets of 5 and this week will be 7 sets of 5 and then back to 8x3

I do most of my DE bench 8x3 though. I only go to the 5x5 every so often.

For the squatting, yeah the guys have been experimenting with the higher percentages or the repeated effort method, but keep in mind, this isn't used all the time. Many days they go in and just do the regular DE squats. The majority of it depends on how everyone is feeling as well as where in relation to a meet they are in training.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Is there any benefit from doing sets of 5 for a raw lifter?

I never really thought of that. I always do 9 sets of 3 alternating grip on bench for speed work. Maybe I'll try Some 5x5 or something different.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    Is there any benefit from doing sets of 5 for a raw lifter?
    Hypertrophy
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    A lot of times when people can't handle the volume used, it is often a result of using too heavy weight on DE day.

As for DE bench, we wave the accomodating resistance in 3 week waves.

Right now Lou has me waving the volume. Week one was 5 sets of 5, the next week was 6 sets of 5 and this week will be 7 sets of 5 and then back to 8x3

I do most of my DE bench 8x3 though. I only go to the 5x5 every so often.

For the squatting, yeah the guys have been experimenting with the higher percentages or the repeated effort method, but keep in mind, this isn't used all the time. Many days they go in and just do the regular DE squats. The majority of it depends on how everyone is feeling as well as where in relation to a meet they are in training.
    Thanks for the input Travis. The first routine I worked up I didn't have bands or chains for DE day and waved my percentages over 3 weeks, 50-55-60%. This wasn't too bad. But the 2nd - 14 week cycle I did with bands, light bands on squat, mini for bench. And I used the same percentages. That may have been my mistake.

In the EFS manual, there's no mention of chain/bands on DE day. The weight for DE bench is 60%, with some occasional higher %'s, for 8 sets. DE squats and DL's are waved, 55-60-65% for 10 sets.

I've read that raw lifters may want to take it easy with chains & bands. I was just wondering if fewer sets might be an option. Sounds like it might be especially if I'm feeling a little beat up. Thanks again.
    BW: 198
    Raw Maxes
    Current.......Goal for 12/2010
    SQ: 440............465
    BP: 325............340
    DL: 480............505