Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To those who praise the deadlift....

Quote Originally Posted by Bodyguard View Post
    Op, I am under the assumption you did some deads one day, had alot of lower back Soreness, not pain and then immediatley came to the conclusion you have back problems.
    Please don't insult my intellegence. I had lower back pain. I've been around weights long enough to differentiate between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris View Post
    Please don't insult my intellegence. I had lower back pain. I've been around weights long enough to differentiate between the two.
    WEhich ofcourse bring sup the question.. what is your recovery and tissue quality like? Do you foam roll? Reular massage, sauna, heat pack etc?

you say you deadlift wth perfect form yet still hirt yourself. if I was to take it at face value and accept that your form is indeed good and you still had pain then I can only assume your active recovery programs are non existant. Maybe doing some will stop your back from hurting and allow you to do the excersise.

That said I deadlift once every 6 months for fun as deadlifts are counterproductive to my goals. Sure you can build a big back without them, but they are a very useful tool for slapping mass on people very quickly.

And **** it, what type of man doesnt enjoy an excersise he can move lots of weight on?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris View Post
    I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. When I first started deadlifting, I had some ungodly lower back pain, (the kind where you cant even walk in the following days) so I figured I was doing something wrong. Eventually, I stopped being a bitch and the pain went away. No pun intended.
    Last edited by Bodyguard; 12-28-2009 at 07:44 AM.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Contrary to what doctors often recommend, strengthening the lower back can help tremendously with back problems. Initial pain can give way to a life of improved mobility etc.

If you have access to a Reverse Hyperextension (www.westside-barbell.com) I would highly recommend it. The man who created it did so because he had broken his own back and needed to find a way to rehab it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

That said I deadlift once every 6 months for fun as deadlifts are counterproductive to my goals. Sure you can build a big back without them, but they are a very useful tool for slapping mass on people very quickly.
    hey may i ask how its counterproductive?

i ask becuz some people i know say its counterproductive for vtaper..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132442

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...wner=rleopando

Squat - 375
    Bench - 265
    Deadlift - 425

Goal: BW/OH squat 185 LBS x 15 by summer 2010

I agree with Chris:

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Don't tell anyone, but I almost never deadlifted the first 15+ years I trained. I always squatted and rowed heavy. My back was quite big and strong. With that said, I do wish I had been deadlifting all along.

Rows, chins and so on will build big lats. You can blow your traps up with various forms of shrugs and rows. Heavy squatting will definitely build your lower back and you can do many other exercises to train that body part. So, in a nutshell, if you don't want to deadlift, and don't plan to be a powerlifter, then skip 'em.
    My primary back movement has always been chins (weighted chins).

For a lot of people Rack Pulls are easier on the low back and can be a good alternative to deadlifting if you are simply looking for a way to stimulate/overload your upper back.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I'm currently laying off the deadlift as I don't want to risk injury at the moment.

I know I have lower body mobility issues which make deadlifting with proper form both awkward and a bit risky. Squatting isn't so bad.. So the plan is to Squat and work on mobility and re-introduce it at a later date.

If you find deadlifting tough due to mobility, the Romanian Deadlift is a good option. Ok, you don't get the full benefit compared to a full deadlift but it is a great lower bosy exercise and it;s still tough to do to failure and definately less risky..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Rows, chins and so on will build big lats. You can blow your traps up with various forms of shrugs and rows. Heavy squatting will definitely build your lower back and you can do many other exercises to train that body part. So, in a nutshell, if you don't want to deadlift, and don't plan to be a powerlifter, then skip 'em
    I would agree, for me however I saw my numbers start to change when I started to do some serious deadlifting, Not just a few sets to warm up my back but real working sets with chains or bands and off boxes....I really started to see thickness in areas I did not see thickness before? could have been a combination of a lot of things, My lats were wide and a decent spread from the front but no thickness from the side, until I started to get serious about deadlifting. Now that is MY story but I do believe that you can attain a solid back without them. There is more than one way to train to get fast, big or strong. People respond differently sometimes to different stressors and to assume that you HAVE to do something seems a bit nieve to me? I mean there are some movements that should be the meat of a workout then others added, I read someone else also who said that he has seen guys with solid back development that did not deadlift and some guys with weak looking backs who did not dead, BUT EVERY guy that deadlifts has seemed to always have a good back! That is kind of why I started and the results were good for me. I had a lot of lower back pain when I first started them and I think it was because I had a weak lower back, couldn't even get out of the car sometimes but after a 6 or 7 hard deadlift days the pain went away and I got stronger! Anyways GREAT THREAD! Awsome to see everyones insight on this one!

Also had a guy I respect very much tell me that if you squat and deadlift, EVER muscle on your body will grow!

If deads are giving you lower back problems then the answer is rack pulls - it's basically the top half of a deadlift without the bottom half which is where your back is at its most curved.
    Rack pulls are a great substitute for deads and will help growth just as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodyguard View Post
    I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. When I first started deadlifting, I had some ungodly lower back pain, (the kind where you cant even walk in the following days) so I figured I was doing something wrong. Eventually, I stopped being a bitch and the pain went away. No pun intended.
    This happens to me too if I stop deadlifting for a while. It doesn't feel like soreness, its a really painful aching in my lower back. It goes away after a couple sessions though.

Ok I didn't read every post, so maybe someone else has said this, but I hated deadlifts, they hurt my back, and
    I had problems with the form. Now I just started using a trap bar for the deadlifts, and it has made a world of
    difference. If not for the trap bar, I would not deadlift.
    Perhaps you should try it.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2239188

Quote Originally Posted by pandospace View Post
    hey may i ask how its counterproductive?

i ask becuz some people i know say its counterproductive for vtaper..
    No, it's because the movement is inherently slow ay heay weights and this can teach bad habits for Oly lifters.

That said, I am adding speed deadlifts with my maximim clean weight in order to improve the ease of the first pull.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    No, it's because the movement is inherently slow ay heay weights and this can teach bad habits for Oly lifters.

That said, I am adding speed deadlifts with my maximim clean weight in order to improve the ease of the first pull.
    add some bands, oh ****
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    add some bands, oh ****
    I am. and chains as well.

Wannabebig Member
    My theory is that pulls - deadlifts, rows, anything pulling toward the stomach from below (inferiorly) seems to be more a thickness builder, and anything pulling down -pullups is a width builder. I seen plenty wide guys with no thickness and only a few thick guys with not that substantial of wide

I do deads because it works forearms, traps, glutes, and lower back all at the same time... seems like more bang for your buck imo.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. When I first started deadlifting, I had some ungodly lower back pain, (the kind where you cant even walk in the following days) so I figured I was doing something wrong.
    Couldn't walk? Maybe you were doing something wrong...

Wannabebig Member
    deadlifting is why i like getting up at 430 am to hit the gym in the morning

and squatting is why i wake up on saturday mornings..

ever heard of training economy? its THE bang for your buck moves: the muscle and CNS stimulation and is undeniable!

and if your talking about risks, i know a few guys who threw their back out tying their shoes, much less "rowing" incorrectly
    Pando, I don't know anything but I read that it can be detrimental to do such lifts early in the morning. It stated that you need to wait until later in the day when your discs have had a chance to decompress and your joints have been fully lubricated. This may have all been bull crap but I felt led to share it.

batman does deadlifts..
    Thanks for bringing this up because it is a very convincing point in favor of why we do deadlifts.
    Batman does deadlifts whereas Robin doesn't. Do you see where this is headed?
    If your shins ain't bleeding then it's not a Dead Lift

Stats:
    Start Wt - 138
    Current Wt - 160
    Height - 6'-1"
    My Journal (Pics: Post# 11,17,88,165)
    Hard Gainers Meal Menu
    Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Contrary to what doctors often recommend, strengthening the lower back can help tremendously with back problems. Initial pain can give way to a life of improved mobility etc. .
    .....as well as abs, hammies and glutes......

This is one of the very reasons that I got back into lifting. I've had back problems for years. Even when I started training again, I didn't deadlift and still had the problems. Now that I deadlift every week, the back problems are very minimal.

As far as building a wide back, most people think of lats and upper back. Deads will cause your lower back to widen or thicken up. Again, when I first got back into lifting and no deads, from behind, my low back was rather narrow. Now, it's a different story.

I'd work on your form and that should minimize any pain.....of course there's muscle pain.....
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Couldn't walk? Maybe you were doing something wrong...
    Nope, it was definitley from being a bitch!

All lifts are raw:

Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    Ok I didn't read every post, so maybe someone else has said this, but I hated deadlifts, they hurt my back, and
    I had problems with the form. Now I just started using a trap bar for the deadlifts, and it has made a world of
    difference. If not for the trap bar, I would not deadlift.
    Perhaps you should try it.
    (shaking head)

All lifts are raw: