The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

working out everyday

I train bjj and one of guys at gym is one of strongest people I ever met. he purs concrete every day for living and his strenght is amazing.
    most of guys that have hard job do it 5 days a week or more and they are very strong and big, so going by same logic lifting weights that much or doing any other strenght exercises with not so much rest in betweenshould make you strong?
    what is your guys opinion?
    and I dont really go to gym to lift i do randy couture circuit workout at home with barbell

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

he's strong because he's been doing it for years. doing anything consistently will net you more progress than doing something logical for only a short period of time.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delcapo View Post
    I train bjj and one of guys at gym is one of strongest people I ever met. he purs concrete every day for living and his strenght is amazing.
    most of guys that have hard job do it 5 days a week or more and they are very strong and big, so going by same logic lifting weights that much or doing any other strenght exercises with not so much rest in betweenshould make you strong?
    what is your guys opinion?
    and I dont really go to gym to lift i do randy couture circuit workout at home with barbell
    The guys you are referencing are lifting heavy objects for 8 hours a day at a completely different intensity than someone who is in the gym for an hour or two.
    It's apples to oranges.

If your goal is to get healthier and a better appearance, then I would see no reason not to work out every day with some circuit training. If you work out every day however, keep in mind that you run a much higher risk of burning yourself out.

I would go with option C and read the stickies on this site about dieting and find yourself a routine that sounds doable.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I used to pour concrete walls for 3 years when I was 18-21.....that said, at the end of it, I was 150 pounds. Lifting heavy things all day did not turn me into an animal. It did make me lose about 6-7 pounds every summer when the heat was bad.

That dude has either great genetics, OR, he trains hard in the weightroom and has a great diet. Concrete just happens to be what he does for a living....but I give him props for getting into the gym after a long day of hauling forms around.

Quote Originally Posted by liferzach View Post
    I used to pour concrete walls for 3 years when I was 18-21.....that said, at the end of it, I was 150 pounds. Lifting heavy things all day did not turn me into an animal. It did make me lose about 6-7 pounds every summer when the heat was bad.

That dude has either great genetics, OR, he trains hard in the weightroom and has a great diet. Concrete just happens to be what he does for a living....but I give him props for getting into the gym after a long day of hauling forms around.
    I'd attribute your weight loss to not eating enough. Not saying you were trying to bulk or anything. But to say that people who pour concrete have no chance of gaining weight is not a very true statement at all.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

I worked really hard when I was coming out of High School (dad had an auto salvage yard,I picked stuff up and moved it all day) and was pretty strong,especially compared to most guys. I was work hardened! I went to the gym a few times and really couldn't put up big weights,however 4 months of lifting in the gym now and I would have killed my 18 year old self. P.S. I wasn't a skinny runt either,I am a big guy.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

I just came off 6 weeks of a 3 on 1 off routine and I was wearing out the last couple weeks. I did that to cut, it was successful but I was overtraining like a bastard.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    I'd attribute your weight loss to not eating enough. Not saying you were trying to bulk or anything. But to say that people who pour concrete have no chance of gaining weight is not a very true statement at all.
    Very true. I couldn't find enough time to get enough food down. Let alone time/energy to lift.

I remember being all bummed out because I thought the job would help me get 'bigger'. My dad did the same job for years (grandfathers company) and when he started, he had stretch marks all around his shoulders from the rapid growth.

Like you stated though, it's obvious that he was getting more cals than I was.

I didn't grow from working there, but I sure felt tough as nails. God, I don't miss doing that, lol.