The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    That Guy

Well My First Post - Here Goes!

The names Tom ~
    Gonna try to keep my story short and sweet
    My biggest weight was 400 pounds. I've been fat pretty much most of my life, until one night, where it hurt to breathe. I got fed up and stopped everything I was doing and changed everything else. Fast forward I dropped 100 stayed about 200( in the 200-215 area )till this day. Since It was just me, I was a naive kid, no guidance or how I should lose the weight, so now I am cursed with the infamous Loose skin.

I had joined and still am a part of a gym, because I've always wanted too and hopefully try to fill in or snap back the skin, I have succeeded in some areas, my arms still have some skin, but its truly shown some improvement, though I have never really done a focused routine. Sure I take advice from members, the internet, and friends, but nothing has really ever hit home, I do work hard, but I feel like I'm doing some unnecessary stuff. I lack guidance I suppose.

I have decided to use the 1st routine on this site to start fresh with the excellent articles here and the detailed explanations from moderators and members. I have tons of questions I really do, but I'm going to keep it to 2 in this post.

1) I weigh 215-220. I personally like my body size, but I DO want muscle, I do want something nice to show off, and I do want to rid of the loose skin, and if filling it in with muscle is one way to help it, then I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

2) Now I love running. I Go To the gym 3 days a week, and run 3 days a week. I've upped from 2 miles to 4 to 6 now 8-10 depending on how I'm feeling / weather. I heard that doing this can actually reverse what I'm trying to achieve at the gym, but I'm not a big fan of sitting around, I love running. How would running affect my overall path into gaining muscle? Is there a way I can get a little running in?

To review though, my goals are
    Gain Muscle and hopefully fill in as much skin as possible without going under the knife. (I'm 20 I don't have that kind of money for cosmetic surgery!)

Thank you to all who could help.
    If this is in the wrong area PLEASE move it )

Tom

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    This is kind of a tough situation. The best way to get rid of that loose skin in my opinion would be to start bulking up. Maintain a steady diet of good food that you can find somewhere on this site and hit the weights haaard.

As for running, cardio is good and always necessary but limiting to only a couple times a week would be optimal for putting on lean mass.

Good luck i hope everything works out well for you!
    height:6'1"
    weight:235
    bench:375
    squat:530
    deadlift:605
    -------------------------------------------------

That Guy

Thanks man, I appreciate you trying to help.
    I have AIM or any other messengers, if someones willing to talk to me straight out, I'd appreciate it. My AIM is Newtwarrior

Newt everyone is different. You skin is elastic and can shrink but at a given rate. You have lost a huge amount of weight and probably lost it faster than your skins ability to keep up. It is a matter of time for the skin to catch up.

You have a goal to build muscle size and you love to run. There is a point where the running could stop you from gaining muscle mass and actually cause you to lose muscle mass. This is something you will need to look at and decide which is more important to you and your over all goal.

Your calorie intake becomes more critical the more weight you lose and you may need to look at eating maintenance level or even a little above to gain muscle mass from where you currently are.

Tom, congrats on losing the weight. As far as how much you will fill your loose skin is dependent on time. Adding quality muscle will help but it will take time and loosing that much weight their is only soo much elasticity in the skin and it may not become really tight again, everyone is different.

The running needs to be cut down because besides hindering muscle gain it will cause joint issues in the long run. You would be better off having a program designed to where you have complexes to increase your metabolic rate and also build muscle and it can be done in a 5 day program so you don't fell the need to run.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Strength Training + Cardio = http://www.crossfit.com/
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

That Guy
    Thank you all for the useful posts
    I think as a person I will try and just build muscle. What happens when you're alright with your weight but want to tone out by adding muscle? I wouldn't call it totally bulking (or is it? I'm incredibly naive on this subject)

Haha simply I want to put on muscle, a bunch! But I just don't want to lose that ability to be good at cardio .. I want to stay fit in that area too. I know its hard to get the best of both worlds here XD

Quote Originally Posted by Newtwarrior View Post
    Thank you all for the useful posts
    I think as a person I will try and just build muscle. What happens when you're alright with your weight but want to tone out by adding muscle? I wouldn't call it totally bulking (or is it? I'm incredibly naive on this subject)

Haha simply I want to put on muscle, a bunch! But I just don't want to lose that ability to be good at cardio .. I want to stay fit in that area too. I know its hard to get the best of both worlds here XD
    You can be good at cardio without running. By doing a program designed for Hypertrophy and Conditioning, it has a big payoff.

That Guy
    I'll have to look at that. TY man. I do have the P90x Dvds and I do have Plyometrics workout, I'm not really running in that, rather jump training. Would that be a good alternative?

Also I tried using the search but couldn't find anything, how do weight lifters feel about Yoga?

If by yoga you're referring to stretching then it's a good idea to add that into your program. Being flexible allows you to perform techniques properly with the correct range of motion. It can also help to prevent injury.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

That Guy
    Hmm I also have some other questions
    I heard doing 15 min or so on the tread mill is good after a work out.
    What are peoples opinions on this?
    Also does anyone think this would be a decent workout schedule :o?

Mon - WannaBeBig 1 Workout
    Tues - Jog 4 miles (just to keep stamina up)
    Wed- WBB 1 Workout
    Thurs - Yoga
    Fri- WBB 1 Workout
    Sat - Jog 4
    Sun - Rest Completely

Or should I really just let muscles rest for the whole 24 hour period with no extra running and such?