Thread: HELP!: Band and Chain Training

Wannabebig Member WhateverItTakes's Avatar

HELP!: Band and Chain Training

I wanted to start incorporating bands and chains in my training in order to improve my overall strength and to teach my body to explode and drive through the whole rep.

I train my bench, deads, and squat once per week. And I train Raw. I need some help with setting up a 12 week template.

This is a sample deadlift routine I was thinking up:

Deadlift Routine:
    Week 1: work up to a 5 rep max (using band tension)
    week 2: work up to a 3 rep max (using band tension)
    week 3: work up to a 1 rep max (using band tension)
    Week 4: Deload
    Week 5: work up to a 5 rep max (using chains only)
    Week 6: work up to 3 rep max (using chains only)
    Week 7: work up to 1 rep max (using chains only)
    Week 8: Deload
    Week 9: Work up to a 5 rep max (straight weight only)
    Week 10: 3 rep max (straight weight only)
    Week 11: 1 rep max (straight weight only)
    Week 12: Deload

Does that look like it makes any sense. How would you guys set things up? Thanks a lot!

Are you weak at lockout? If not, then I'd use them less. I'd also vary from regulars deadlifts off the floor. You can use deficits, rack pulls, etc.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Well, I am actually pretty bad at the lockout. I can get the weight off the floor, but I often find myself hitching the weight. I was using this as an example of what I was thinking for deads, but I was also going to apply the same format to my squat and bench.

I have been using Wendler's 5/3/1 routine and it has been working ok. But I find myself doing more higher reps and when I get to 5 or fewer reps I struggle more than I use to. So I am not sure if I should stick with that or try something else. I have been doing wenler's routine for 3 months. Thanks for the help Marcus!

I thought 5/3/1 doesn't use bands and chains? Trying to mix and match training programs can be messy.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Ive done a very similar routine to that before for my squat and it worked well. I didn't have chains so I used reverse bands.

I lift primarily geared though, and used box squats, so doing it raw may be different. I think the plan is solid, if you are a raw lifter I would just use a little less band tension. If you raw squat say 500lbs I would say the green bands would be fine to bring a slight overload and accelerated eccentric.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

I really like it, I think you will do well off it-please keep us posted.

I have done something a little similar for shirt bench and it worked for me, I like that the lift gets plenty of practice but with a different contrast and reps.

Just make sure all your other work is going to address your weaknesses (Im sure you have thought of that).

Also for the 5 rep day I would maybe leave one in the tank and not do a max 5 as your form will break down a lot with reps.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I thought 5/3/1 doesn't use bands and chains? Trying to mix and match training programs can be messy.
    It doesn't incorporate bands or chains. I just feel that I am not progressing as much with the 5/3/1 rouine as I possibly could with other options. So I am considering switching things up and not doing the 5/3/1

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Ive done a very similar routine to that before for my squat and it worked well. I didn't have chains so I used reverse bands.

I lift primarily geared though, and used box squats, so doing it raw may be different. I think the plan is solid, if you are a raw lifter I would just use a little less band tension. If you raw squat say 500lbs I would say the green bands would be fine to bring a slight overload and accelerated eccentric.
    I am glad to hear that you have had success with a similar routine in the past. And thank you for the idea is using a little less band tension. That probably would make sense for me (being a raw lifter) to use a little less band tension and more bar weight. That would also probably be a little easier on my joints and CNS. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I really like it, I think you will do well off it-please keep us posted.

I have done something a little similar for shirt bench and it worked for me, I like that the lift gets plenty of practice but with a different contrast and reps.

Just make sure all your other work is going to address your weaknesses (Im sure you have thought of that).

Also for the 5 rep day I would maybe leave one in the tank and not do a max 5 as your form will break down a lot with reps.

I am glad this has worked with the bench for you too. I could try this format out with the bench as well. And great point with leaving 1 rep in the tank. That is one issue I have with Wendler's 5/3/1 routine. I notice that my form breaks down once I get up around 5 reps. And forget it when I go above 5 reps. The form really falls apart. I guess I only have me to blame on that. But I am not an elite lifter so I am still trying to perfect and maintain form and tightness.

Thank you again guys! I really appreciate all the help and input!!

I don't have any band or chains right now. And Elitefts is out of stock with the band package deal. So I may run another cycle or 2 with the 5/3/1 routine (4-8 weeks) in order to max myself out on that program. In the mean time I will acquire bands and chains and then try this program out. Once I start this new program, I will keep you guys posted on the progress. Thanks again for all the help!