The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

why do some people...

say train first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Because they are stuck in the train of thought that you will lose fat that way. I disagree, your in a catabolic state to start with and you want to do an anabolic activity? I'm not sure how long glyogen stores stay a peak levels, but I generally try and get something into my before I trained.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by tryme View Post
    Im guessing this would only apply for cardio because doing heavy squats without food would not go well in my opinion.

Im more of the opinion that you need to look at the big picture, so something like this probably doesnt matter much anyways.

about all i can do is a small milk and protein shake. I'm at the gym at 5 am, so i'm normally up at 4:30, suck down the shake and haul arse to the gym. I've tried to eat an actual meal before and i feel like pooh the whole workout, bloated and what not.
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

For fat burning effects. The body goes to the easiest fuel source first, sugar (glycogen). The theory is that because the glycogen levels are low( because it's been several hours since the person has eaten) the body will swicth over to burning fat more quickly.

its a good tactic for losing fat but definitely wouldnt work for building muscle. the idea goes as such: when you take in carbs, your body uses them as the energy source. if you have leftover unused carbs in your system they will eventually get converted to fat. the idea is that while you sleep, the leftover carbs will have been converted to fat. so with minimal to no carbs in your system when you first wake up, your body needs to feed off its next source of energy: fat, which is your bodies backup energy reserve. so basically, if you do cardio before eating in the morning you are using stored fat as a fuel source. this is a good way to tackle fat directly. it can be dangerous though if overdone, your body can have a hypoglycemic reaction and you can pass out. i tried it before and was tired as hell the whole rest of the day, no matter what i ate afterwards. im more of a fan of traditional fat loss methods

look into it if your interested in strictly losing fat. however, its a pretty counter productive idea if your trying to gain muscle

It's only good in a cut cycle. You WILL NOT GET STRONGER TRAINING BEFORE YOU EAT

I train early in the am, but I have a large protein shake first.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by tryme View Post
    Because they have no idea what they are talking about. Doing Anaerobic activity on an empty stomach is not a good idea by any stretch of the imagination
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    haha that's such an old school tactic. Do people still do that?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I could see doing it to burn fat if you were just walking a few miles at a slow pace...but if you did anything fast that got your heartrate up, wouldn't you actually be burning more muscle than fat? I thought I read somewhere that if your body needs energy at a quick pace, it will burn muscle because it doesn't have the time or the capacity to burn enough fat fast enough. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

I train at 5:00am. Rarely eat anything b/4 working out.
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#