The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Our numbers are incredibly close right now. Good to see. Why do you think eliminating milk will affect your body composition?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    ^I was wondering the same thing.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    Thanks ELm. Current training maxes are:

BP- 190
    Squat- 225
    Deadlift- 315
    OH Press- 120

I'm doing an overhaul of my diet too. Pretty much eliminating milk, and putting a much greater emphasis on whole food. I'm curious to see if it'll change my body composition and/or training. I'll post up my old/new diets a bit later...
    Ya, we are really close. I am currently at
    Bench-220
    Squat-235
    Dead Lift-305
    Press-120

As for the diet, did you read the "to bulk or cut" article? It is pretty helpful. You can drink some milk when you need to make up some calories but whole food would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Our numbers are incredibly close right now. Good to see. Why do you think eliminating milk will affect your body composition?
    Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    ^I was wondering the same thing.
    Currently I drink around 9 cups (a little over half a gallon) of whole milk per day. Basically I'm just trying to squeeze some more protein into my diet. Here's how my current diet works out:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Month=0&Day=30

Hope that link works.

And this is the majority of my new diet:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Month=0&Day=29

Plus an IsoMass gainer shake w/2% milk = 70 g protein, 940 cals.
    Plus a muscle milk protein bar = 25 g protein, 320 cals. (actually got these from your journal, jamesw8)
    Plus vegetable soup. Not going to count calories, mostly just for nutrients. Usually consists of spinach, carrots, kale, etc.
    Plus multi-vitamin.

So roughly 275 g protein total, and maybe a couple hundred more cals. Which is fine because I want to end up at 185 lbs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Ya, we are really close. I am currently at
    Bench-220
    Squat-235
    Dead Lift-305
    Press-120

As for the diet, did you read the "to bulk or cut" article? It is pretty helpful. You can drink some milk when you need to make up some calories but whole food would be better.
    Yup, that's actually what inspired the diet change. I'm going to stick with this for a few months, and evaluate progress. If it works, I'll up the cals and protein more. Oh apparently Isomass contains creatine also. I've been off creatine for about three months I think, but I wanted to get back on anyway. Well let me know what you guys think. If I'm being a **tard just tell me, I won't take offense.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

You drink whole milk?! I drink skim milk and in every 100 calories, there's 10g of protein and 0.5g of fat. That's definitely a way to up your protein intake while keeping your calories down. If you do drink whole milk, you can switch to homo and work your way down so you get used to it. I love skim milk now and wouldn't have anything else.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

New diet don't look too bad. Like Keith said, ditch the whole milk. I got my diet dialed in pretty good at the moment. Here it is just for comparison...

7-8 eggs (3 yolks), 1 cup of oatmeal, fish oil, multi.

tuna sandwhich on wheat (Arnold bread), 1oz plain almonds, 1 apple, low fat cottage cheese.

chicken breast, sweet potato, broccoli, low fat cottage cheese or a cheese stick.

Results (pre workout)

Nitrean or Opticen (post workout)

Dinner is always some type of meat, rice, vegetables, milk

Nitrean, natural peanut butter (before bed)

I don't count calories too often because I eat almost the same thing every day but I average right around 3200-3500.

I also am using IsoMass in the mornings
    Last edited by james_w8lifter; 01-31-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely not anti-milk, lol. I LOVE milk. I'm ok with the new diet though, prep food on Sunday, then not much work the rest of the week. And I won't have to stop at the grocery store every other day to pick up more milk, lol. Anyways, I picked up some lifting chalk today...Never used it before. I'm excited to see how it affects my deads tomorrow. If at all.
    Last edited by AKMass; 01-31-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Pretty great that you've gained 10 lbs in under a month, bro. Props on getting your diet under control, too. I've been serious for a few years now and still am very undisciplined (is that a word?) when it comes to diet. Keep it up bro, and thanks for stopping in my journal.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Where's the training!?!?!
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Pretty great that you've gained 10 lbs in under a month, bro. Props on getting your diet under control, too. I've been serious for a few years now and still am very undisciplined (is that a word?) when it comes to diet. Keep it up bro, and thanks for stopping in my journal.
    Thanks bro. It's really only like 7 lbs, I'm at about 177 in the morning, but I'm happy with it. You've made awesome progress, especially for not having teh dissiprin, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Where's the training!?!?!
    Training? You mean I have to eat right AND train?!? I thought going to the gym was just an excuse to wear skimpy clothes to show off how well you've been eating!!???

Lol I'll update in ~10 hours with a superior deadlift session, I assure you.
    5'10"

Deads-
    115x5
    145x5
    175x3
    200x3
    230x3
    260x5 PR
    Total volume: 2,590 vs. 2,495 last month. 95 lb increase. I swear I could've cranked out AT LEAST 10 more reps on the 160....If it weren't for my grip. Hardly felt anything in my hammies.

135x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10

Barbell holds:
    225x 20 secs
    285x 12 secs
    315x 5 secs
    365 (fail, couldn't even get it off the rack)
    335x 3 secs
    225x 20 secs

Grip has got me seriously considering going back to straps. DL is definitely being hindered, which is probably hurting my squat also. Hmmm... What do you guys think?

Oh yeah...New diet is great, here's today:

Meal 1: Isomass gainer w/2 cups milk
    Meal 2: 2 slices double protein wheat bread + 2 tbsp PB
    Meal 3: Banana, ~10 oz chicken breasts (horrible), 1 oz. almonds
    Meal 4: 3 large eggs
    Meal 5: Muscle milk protein bar
    Meal 6(pre w/o): 2 packets instant oatmeal
    Meal 7 (post w/o): ~6 oz. Chicken breast, broccoli, cauliflower, turkey stuffing, clementine (orange).
    Meal 8: Haven't had it yet, but I'm hungry, so Opticen in water.

It's weird cuz I feel like I'm hardly eating anything.
    5'10"

Nice pulling, have you tried chalk yet? It makes a big difference. And well, if you are hungry... EAT!!! I always have to eat more on Squat and DL days.

Nice pulling, have you tried chalk yet? It makes a big difference. And well, if you are hungry... EAT!!! I always have to eat more on Squat and DL days.
    Thanks. Oh yeah, tonight was my first night using chalk. It def did make a difference, but it's still not enough to catch my grip strength up to my leg strength, unfortunately.
    5'10"

Workout and diet looks good. Are u using the one over/one under grip for heavy deads? If you feel like the grip is that big an issue then by all means use straps. Get some good quality meat into that diet though. Throw in some more peanut butter/cottage cheese/or a protein shake before you go to bed. If your not sure what your calorie count is, log your food on Fitday.com. Keep at it buddie!!
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Keep working your grip strength like you are, and IMO straps are fine if your grip is what's hindering your pulling. If you KNOW you can pull more with no sacrifice to form, and the only thing restraining you is your grip strength, then if straps help give 'er hell. Just be sure to keep working on it like you're doing. Also, I looked through most of your workouts and dont see chins. For me they are a great strengthener of the hand grip and forearm flexors. I suggest throwing them into your back day.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Nice PR and good pulling.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Workout and diet looks good. Are u using the one over/one under grip for heavy deads? If you feel like the grip is that big an issue then by all means use straps. Get some good quality meat into that diet though. Throw in some more peanut butter/cottage cheese/or a protein shake before you go to bed. If your not sure what your calorie count is, log your food on Fitday.com. Keep at it buddie!!
    Thanks. Yup I use left hand over, right under, grip is strongest that way. Are chicken breasts not good quality meat, or you're saying eat more? My calories are just barely above maintenance, still gaining weight slowly.

Keep working your grip strength like you are, and IMO straps are fine if your grip is what's hindering your pulling. If you KNOW you can pull more with no sacrifice to form, and the only thing restraining you is your grip strength, then if straps help give 'er hell. Just be sure to keep working on it like you're doing. Also, I looked through most of your workouts and dont see chins. For me they are a great strengthener of the hand grip and forearm flexors. I suggest throwing them into your back day.
    Ack! I'll think about it. I just feel like such a puss with straps. I was doing chins on my back day, but I quit cuz I suck at them. You're right though, I should have them in there. Maybe on squat day.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice PR and good pulling.
    Thanks OR.
    5'10"

THe only way to get better at them is to do them, as you know. I started out at 3 chins in one day at 170lbs... my coach helped me get to a 2x10 in a little under 3 months. Anythings possible bro.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Thanks. Yup I use left hand over, right under, grip is strongest that way. Are chicken breasts not good quality meat, or you're saying eat more? My calories are just barely above maintenance, still gaining weight slowly.
    Chicken is a great sourcce of protein just not a great source of calories. Depending on how fast you want to gain you may want to replace it with ground beef or another type of meat on some days. Trust me I eat my fair share of chicken too.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

THe only way to get better at them is to do them, as you know. I started out at 3 chins in one day at 170lbs... my coach helped me get to a 2x10 in a little under 3 months. Anythings possible bro.
    Nice! That's great progress. Did you do them more than once a week?

Chicken is a great sourcce of protein just not a great source of calories. Depending on how fast you want to gain you may want to replace it with ground beef or another type of meat on some days. Trust me I eat my fair share of chicken too.
    True. I'm actually trying to slow the weight gain down a bit, as I've gotten a nice little belly on this bulk. Also, I don't want to get TOO much heavier. 200 lbs for my frame might be a bit much.

Anyway, today's workout:

Bench-
    80x5
    95x5
    115x3
    135x3
    155x3
    175x7 PR

Volume: 2095 vs 1860 last month. Not too surprised based on last weeks numbers, but I'm still very happy with this. Added weight to the bar AND increased number of reps in a month. Still too early in the program to really tell anything though, so I won't get over-excited.

More bench-
    85x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10

Dips-
    BWx10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10

New diet is working out well too. Easy meals to pack up and go. Don't feel full all the time either.
    5'10"

Good work on the PR! Lots of pushing and no pulling in that workout?

That's a ton of dips too...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Good work on the PR! Lots of pushing and no pulling in that workout?
    Thanks bro. Yeah, Monday was all pulling so I was fine with just pushing today. I tend to do all push or all pull on separate days. Bodybuilding mentality maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That's a ton of dips too...
    When I did the 100 dips contest I realized I wasn't pushing hard enough on assistance exercises. I thought, I did 100 in 16 mins, so why is my assistance taking 20 mins when I only do 50 reps? Cuz I was being a puss.

So I'm going to increase the number I do over the weeks until I get to 100 per session. Once I get there, re-evaluate things. I don't know what kind of effect it will have on my bench, but my bench is flying up right now, so I'm ok with the risk.
    5'10"

Thanks bro. Yeah, Monday was all pulling so I was fine with just pushing today. I tend to do all push or all pull on separate days. Bodybuilding mentality maybe?

I see, maybe give that a try. I used to do the same thing (push, pull, legs) back in the day. I actually never thought about doing push pull together until reading Wendler's book and it seems to work well.