Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 500 lbs!!! ....Er posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I see, maybe give that a try. I used to do the same thing (push, pull, legs) back in the day. I actually never thought about doing push pull together until reading Wendler's book and it seems to work well.
    He says to alternate push pull same day? Crap! I better read through the book again. I don't remember seeing that part.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    He says to alternate push pull same day? Crap! I better read through the book again. I don't remember seeing that part.
    Yep, Here is one way the program is listed...

OH Press
    Dips
    Chins

Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    DB Rows

Good workout, mate. Yes, I did them about twice a week. Regardless of how I was feeling, my coach held my legs for me and would force a set of 3x10 assisted chins twice a week. I could only do about 2 free chins and then he would have to help... eventually I could do 5... 10... 15... 20. Anything can come with hard work!!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Yep, Here is one way the program is listed...

OH Press
    Dips
    Chins

Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    DB Rows
    Blah you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like pretty much all the templates alternate push/pull each day. I've been sticking to Boring but Big mostly though. I think for OH Press day I'm going to do:

OH Press
    OH Press (assistance)
    Chins

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Good workout, mate. Yes, I did them about twice a week. Regardless of how I was feeling, my coach held my legs for me and would force a set of 3x10 assisted chins twice a week. I could only do about 2 free chins and then he would have to help... eventually I could do 5... 10... 15... 20. Anything can come with hard work!!
    Thanks. It'd be nice to pop out 20 reps at a time. Right now I'm at like...7. lol.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Weaksauce avi. Liked the old one better.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I definitely commented in your journal last night -- I have no idea why it's not here now. Solid PRs as of late, man. You're doing something right if you're hitting PRs in multiple areas. Don't change a thing! Your grip is a big issue in your deadlift, eh? So you'll drop the bar before you complete a heavy pull? Not much you can do besides pulling with a mixed grip and chalk. I would keep at it for a bit since you just started using chalk. Chalk up A LOT, and I'm sure your grip will catch up.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Weaksauce avi. Liked the old one better.

I definitely commented in your journal last night -- I have no idea why it's not here now. Solid PRs as of late, man. You're doing something right if you're hitting PRs in multiple areas. Don't change a thing! Your grip is a big issue in your deadlift, eh? So you'll drop the bar before you complete a heavy pull? Not much you can do besides pulling with a mixed grip and chalk. I would keep at it for a bit since you just started using chalk. Chalk up A LOT, and I'm sure your grip will catch up.
    Thanks, budday! I think I am just gonna suck it up and stay strapless. I just need to keep working on my grip. Is there any benefit to working grip more than once a week? Or should I just work on it on DL day?
    5'10"

You could always add in some variation of a static hold or heavy farmers walks when you squat (assuming that day is a few days from your deadlifting day) because those muscles do recover quickly.

You could always add in some variation of a static hold or heavy farmers walks when you squat (assuming that day is a few days from your deadlifting day) because those muscles do recover quickly.
    That's what I was thinking...I DL Mondays, and Squat Thursdays, so there's plenty of rest in between. Guess I know what I'm doin today!
    5'10"

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    That's what I was thinking...I DL Mondays, and Squat Thursdays, so there's plenty of rest in between. Guess I know what I'm doin today!
    Ever since you starting talking about your grip mine has been giving out here and there in the gym lol. I think you jynxed me man.. jk. Nice benches and dips the other day. Are you going full range of motion on your movements?
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    Ever since you starting talking about your grip mine has been giving out here and there in the gym lol. I think you jynxed me man.. jk. Nice benches and dips the other day. Are you going full range of motion on your movements?
    Sorry bro! Lol. Yeah, I do full ROM on all movements. Squats are ATG. Bench is bar touching chest, very short pause, up. Dips I go a little past parallel, basically when I can't go any further down, I pop back up. I think the only exception would be chins...I go chin above bar to like 98% extension of my arms (basically a small bend in the elbow). If I drop below that, my shoulder kills. Are you using chalk for DLs??
    Last edited by AKMass; 02-04-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    5'10"

Happy with today's workout:

Squat-
    90x5
    115x5
    135x3
    160x3
    180x3
    205x7

Volume: 2455 vs. 2160 last month. 295 lb. increase. Also, last month, I did 205 for 4 reps vs 7 this month. Hope I can keep this up. Anyway...

Bulgarian split squats-
    BWx10
    x10
    x10

Leg press-
    285x10
    x10

Was going to do GHR, but realized there's no station for these. So, I went to the leg curl machine.

Leg curls-
    80x10
    90x10
    110x10
    x10
    x10

Barbell holds:
    205x 25 secs
    225x15 secs

Decided to call it a night, was extremely hungry.

After my second set of leg curls, I realized how ghey they are so I decided to go do some Romanian DLs....2 of the 3 squat racks were taken by bicep curlers, and god knows what the guy at the 3rd rack was doing. Grrrr. Public gym ftl.
    5'10"

Awesome improvement on the Squats! What the hell is with people doing curls in a rack??? I've never seen it but even when I curl I just pick the weight up from the floor.

Awesome improvement on the Squats! What the hell is with people doing curls in a rack??? I've never seen it but even when I curl I just pick the weight up from the floor.
    Because they aren't capable of bending over to pick up the bar lol.

Great workout! squats look strong bro
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

LoL at the leg curls
    Nice job on the squats and RDLs.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Great squat increase! LOL at the leg curl, they are ghey. Did you see the video in my journal about the GHRs?

Thanks bud. See below, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    Because they aren't capable of bending over to pick up the bar lol.

Great workout! squats look strong bro
    Thanks. The thing that gets me is that we have EZ bars and straight bars with weights already attached to them, on a rack. Specifically for curling. We also have two preacher stations. Yet the squat racks are frequently used for curls. Ugh...Hulk smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    LoL at the leg curls
    Nice job on the squats and RDLs.
    Thanks OR. Never got to the RDLs though, due to aforementioned curling in squat rack issues.

Great squat increase! LOL at the leg curl, they are ghey. Did you see the video in my journal about the GHRs?
    Thanks Keith. I did see your GHR vid, but I don't think my gym has a foot anchor like you have. Also, it definitely isn't in the one power rack we have, and I have no bands. That's a clever set up though.

PS Why are you up until 1 in the morning every morning? You're that busy? Or are you on the west coast for a bit or something?
    Last edited by AKMass; 02-05-2010 at 06:41 AM.
    5'10"

PS Why are you up until 1 in the morning every morning? You're that busy? Or are you on the west coast for a bit or something?
    LOL. I'm not up until 1 every morning because two days of the week I have class at 8:30 so those days I'm in bed by 11:30pm. I'm a night time person, though. I function best when the sun sets. I get plenty of sleep, I just don't wake up at 6 or 7am like everyone else. If I go to bed at 1am, I'll get up at 9 or 10am.

LOL. I'm not up until 1 every morning because two days of the week I have class at 8:30 so those days I'm in bed by 11:30pm. I'm a night time person, though. I function best when the sun sets. I get plenty of sleep, I just don't wake up at 6 or 7am like everyone else. If I go to bed at 1am, I'll get up at 9 or 10am.
    Ahh, gotcha. I think I just looked at a few time stamps and assumed...

Todays workout:

OH Press:
    50x5
    60x5
    75x3
    85x3
    100x3
    110x7

Volume: 1325 vs. 1275 last month. 50 lb increase. Good news since last week I actually decreased. But that was probably due to lack of caffeine.

OH Press-
    70x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10

Chins-
    BWx5
    x5
    x5
    x4
    x4
    I really need to get better at these!

Didn't feel half bad today. My throats been scratchy the last couple days so I kept thinking I was gonna get sick, but nothing other than the throat so far. *fingers crossed* I'm deleting all the music on my iPod and starting fresh, so I'd love to hear your guys' favorite lifting music!...I know there are 1000 threads in Gen Chat, but they're a little outdated.
    5'10"

Nice pressing man, we are only 2 reps away from each other on the press. You
    will keep getting better on the chins. Do pull ups and chin ups. As for the music, i have every possible rock and metal band on my iPod with over 12000 songs on it. I also listen to rock nation on iheart radio which plays some decent stuff.

Nice pressing man, we are only 2 reps away from each other on the press. You
    will keep getting better on the chins. Do pull ups and chin ups. As for the music, i have every possible rock and metal band on my iPod with over 12000 songs on it. I also listen to rock nation on iheart radio which plays some decent stuff.
    Thanks bro. Maybe I'll catch your press one day...Nahhhhh. On another note, that's a LOT of freakin' songs!
    5'10"

Thanks bro. Maybe I'll catch your press one day...Nahhhhh. On another note, that's a LOT of freakin' songs!
    Yes it is and I didn't put any of them on. This kid I work with is really into music so I just had him put all the songs on. I only have like 300 songs on my phone. I will run threw the list on my ipod and post them for some ideas for ya.

Good overhead pressing, dude. If you do chins more often, you'll get better at them. Jim Wendler said in 5/3/1, just do 100 chins a week, doesn't matter when or how, just do them. Try doing 1 every 15 seconds or so and just see how long you last before you completely fail. That's what I did with the +25 lbs for chins.

12,000 songs is a **** load of songs! I don't think I'd even listen to 1000 if I could store that many.

Artists that I like listening to while I train:
    Slipknot
    Hypocrisy
    Alexisonfire
    Cancer Bats

Nice workout, lots of presses will blast the shoulders. Music when I lift: Metallica, Chevelle, Godsmack, Tool, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Disturbed, etc....
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Chins look decent too.
    I mostly listen to Bad Religion when i lift.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!