The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks guys! Really liking the suggestions so far...

I don't normally workout on Sundays, but my roommate wanted to go so...

Beach workout:
    Drag curls-
    45x5
    40x5
    40x5
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10

DLs-
    145x5, haha. Just demonstrating form.

Squat-
    45x5, form again.

Decline Situps (45 degree angle):
    BWx15
    x15
    x15

Sprints-
    5x30 secs. Surprisingly, a lot of cute cardio bunnies today. Kind of a rarity at my gym. Guess I should come more Sundays...

Chins-
    BWx1, lol. Did these yesterday, and I'm pulling my training max tomorrow on DL, so not risking anything w/ my grip the way it is.

Fun day, just screwing around. But I got to work areas that I never hit directly. Oddly, my abs felt sore before I even started w/the decline sit ups. Not sure what's up with that??? Heavy week starts tomorrow!
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Curls the day before heavy deads haha.
    Here are some of the bands I listen to when I lift...
    Alice in Chains
    Anthrax
    Atreyu
    Static-X
    Chevelle
    Coal Chamber
    Cold
    Slipknot
    Damageplan
    Deftones
    Devil Driver
    Dope
    Disturbed
    Down
    Drowning Pool
    Evanescence
    Fear Factory
    Filter
    Flyleaf
    Flaw
    Grinspoon
    Hellyeah
    Helmet
    Lacuna Coil
    Metallica
    Mnemic
    Motograter
    Mudvayne
    Mushroomhead
    Nine Inch Nails
    Otep
    Pantera
    Rammstein
    Rob Zombie
    Seether
    Sevendust
    Slayer
    Soil
    Soilwork
    Spineshank
    Tool
    Type O Negative
    Vayden
    White Zombie

That should help ya out some...

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    Your abs were probably sore from the shoulder presses. You'd be amazed how much core work is involved in keeping the bar steady as you press it overhead.
    Last edited by james_w8lifter; 02-07-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Curls the day before heavy deads haha.
    Here are some of the bands I listen to when I lift...
    Alice in Chains
    Anthrax
    Atreyu
    Static-X
    Chevelle
    Coal Chamber
    Cold
    Slipknot
    Damageplan
    Deftones
    Devil Driver
    Dope
    Disturbed
    Down
    Drowning Pool
    Evanescence
    Fear Factory
    Filter
    Flyleaf
    Flaw
    Grinspoon
    Hellyeah
    Helmet
    Lacuna Coil
    Metallica
    Mnemic
    Motograter
    Mudvayne
    Mushroomhead
    Nine Inch Nails
    Otep
    Pantera
    Rammstein
    Rob Zombie
    Seether
    Sevendust
    Slayer
    Soil
    Soilwork
    Spineshank
    Tool
    Type O Negative
    Vayden
    White Zombie

That should help ya out some...
    Thanks ELm! You really put some effort into this! I'm about to start downloading songs as soon as iTunes finishes installing. Glad I won't be stuck listening to the lame songs they play at the gym tomorrow. And I know, shame on me for curling before DL day. They were really light weight though, and besides, CURLZ FOR THA GURLZ, BRAH!

Quote Originally Posted by james_w8lifter View Post
    Your abs were probably sore from the shoulder presses. You'd be amazed how much core work is involved in keeping the bar steady as you press it overhead.
    I think that's a damn good guess. I suppose they were worked from squat day as well. Just weird that they'd be worked to the point of getting sore. Fine by me though, I hate ab work!
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

I just went threw some bands on my Ipod and picked some of my favorites for lifting. Got a ton of other good stuff for just hanging around the house. 12,297 songs total to be exact

I actually keep a pair of dumbbells in my truck and do a few sets of 21's before I go into a bar with my size medium TapOut shirt on.....

I actually keep a pair of dumbbells in my truck and do a few sets of 21's before I go into a bar with my size medium TapOut shirt on.....
    That's ****ing awesome!!

Badass list.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I just went threw some bands on my Ipod and picked some of my favorites for lifting. Got a ton of other good stuff for just hanging around the house. 12,297 songs total to be exact

LOL. Make sure you down a tub of NOXplode before you go in tho to RLY max out your pump. Also, size xtra xtra small under armour shows teh gunz better...Imho.
    5'10"

Alright, so I had to delay yesterday's workout to today due to work:

DL-
    115x5
    145x5
    175x3
    215x5
    245x3
    275x7 PR

Volume: 3735 vs. 3080 last month. 655 lb increase! My grip is finally starting to show signs of life...Chalk is a huge help too.

Dips-
    BWx10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10 At this point I noticed my tricep starting to hurt, and then I realized I'm maxing out on bench tomorrow. I wanted to do one more set, but decided not to push it.

Barbell holds-
    345x5 secs
    315x10 secs
    285x17 secs

Hands were on fire so I stopped there.

Workout felt real good today. Bad news is we're in for a ****load of snow tomorrow, so the gym might be closed. Hopefully I can get in there and bench, otherwise I'm gonna be working out three days straight. Next week is deload week though, so I don't mind pushing a workout day farther out. Just have to wait and see I guess.
    5'10"

'atta boy! Grip is finally coming through and becoming a chalk whore. Why are you blasting out all these reps on dips if you're benching heavy the following day?? That definitely will affect your bench strength tomorrow.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Huge volume increase, dude. Great to see that. Nice to hear your grip is improving too... Chalk really is a good help, isn't it? I'm with Keith on the dips thing lol.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    'atta boy! Grip is finally coming through and becoming a chalk whore. Why are you blasting out all these reps on dips if you're benching heavy the following day?? That definitely will affect your bench strength tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Huge volume increase, dude. Great to see that. Nice to hear your grip is improving too... Chalk really is a good help, isn't it? I'm with Keith on the dips thing lol.
    Thanks guys. Yes, chalk is awesome. And yes, that was a very stupid move on my part with the dips. Looks like I may not be benching tonight though, due to all the snow. That means I'm going to have a bunch of workouts crammed together at the end of the week though...Here's what I'm thinking:

Thursday- Bench
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-Squat
    Sunday-OH Press
    Monday to Friday- Deload
    And then onto the next wave.
    5'10"

275x7? Very well done, man.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Just getting caught up after the new forum threw me some trouble. Nice bench BTW.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Nice deads... and 70 dips in 1 day is no joke either guy
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Just getting caught up after the new forum threw me some trouble. Nice bench BTW.
    Nice deads... and 70 dips in 1 day is no joke either guy
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    275x7? Very well done, man.
    Thanks guys.

Alright, editing this post since I didn't have time to give the full story before. Starting at the beginning, the workout was postponed from Weds to Thurs due to snow, then Thurs to Friday due to headaches I was having. So I got up Friday morning at 5, was in a rush since I had to eat, get to the gym, get back, and eat again by 7 so I could clean up and head to work. So breakfast is oatmeal and a protein bar. The oatmeal is not going down easy, I'm just not a morning eater. But I choke it down, along with the protein bar. I get to the gym and my workout starts (it's now 5:30).

Bench- I feel like I'm missing something... ****, I forgot my workout printout at home, and I don't remember the warmup/work set weights. Oh well, I remember the heaviest weight, all that really matters. Let's go.
    45x5
    95x5
    125x3
    140x5 I get up and realize something is wrong... MOTHER****ER, I was in a rush so I forgot to take caffeine with breakfast, and I'm going on 5 hours of sleep since the headache was keeping me up last night. Ok, don't panic, there are vending machines here. I just need to chug a Red Bull or something. There are three vending machines, one with all protein bars (great use of space, b/c everyone buys their protein bars out of vending machines), one with all protein drinks (non-caffeine), and one with....Red bull (and other sugary drinks)!!! SWEET! I go to put my dollar bill in and....Out of service. Damnit. This morning sucks. So I drive to the gas station, and get a 5-hour energy, since everyone raves about it, chug half, and drive back to the gym.

135x3 This feels heavy, oh god I'm screwed.
    115x5
    165x3
    185x4 I beat last month still, but I swear if it had been a normal workout with someone spotting, I could've gotten 6. Oh well.

Volume: 1960 vs 1720 last month, 240 lb increase. Not too shabby. Oh,btw, I felt nothing from the 5 hour energy. Total crap. Live and learn. And another note, if you go to the gym at 5 in the morning, don't expect a spot. The only people that go to the gym that early are suckers (like me), and 90 year olds.

Bench-
    100x10
    x10
    x10

Chins-
    BWx5
    x5
    x5

Then had to get ready for work. *sigh*
    Last edited by AKMass; 02-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
    5'10"

I hate training with headaches, it always makes them so much worse. Good thing you pushed it off to the next day.

I hate training with headaches, it always makes them so much worse. Good thing you pushed it off to the next day.
    I know what you mean...I had a headache again today, but I had no choice but to train. Can't push things out any farther.

Squats-
    90x5
    115x5
    135x3
    170x5
    195x3
    215x5

Volume: 2510 vs 2200 last month, 310 lb increase. Cool. I think if I went for it I could have gotten 215x6, but I'm a puss. I guess my headache didn't really affect anything though. Anyway...

Leg press-
    270x10
    x10
    x10

Romanian DL-
    155x10
    x10
    x10
    x15

All in all a pretty good day. Actually this month has been pretty awesome strength wise. I'm not happy when I look in the mirror though. Need to rid myself of the spare tire...
    5'10"

What's the meaning of your journal title? Both the "500 lbs" and the "Er posts".

What's the meaning of your journal title? Both the "500 lbs" and the "Er posts".
    Well when I started, I had just reached my 500th post. It was a joke, like I meant to say posts, but said lbs instead. Now that I think about it, it's kind of ghey. I did consider changing it at one point... Maybe something like, "AKMASS' MASSive log", but people might get the wrong idea. Heh heh.
    5'10"

Nice leg day guy
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Still made some progress on a bad day so props for that. Don't worry about those energy drinks man, you don't need to put that crap in your body with a solid diet.
    Squat workout looked good also.

Nice leg day guy
    Still made some progress on a bad day so props for that. Don't worry about those energy drinks man, you don't need to put that crap in your body with a solid diet.
    Squat workout looked good also.
    Thanks guys. I don't usually drink energy drinks...But I do supplement with caffeine powder before a workout.

OH Press-
    50x5
    60x5
    75x3
    90x5
    105x3
    115x6 PR. Felt good, tried for 7 but only got 3/4 of the way up.

Volume: 1455 vs 1300 last month. 155 lb increase. Cool.

Was feeling ambitious, so:
    135x1 PR. This was really hard...I definitely won't be repping this for a long time. The single rep literally took me ten seconds to get up. Really struggled from about a quarter ROM to the top.

CG Bench-
    115x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10

Chins-
    BWx3 This just wasn't happening today.

One arm rows-
    65x10
    x10
    x10

Weighed myself this morning and was 174 lbs. Must have been dehydrated, just weighed myself again...178.4. Really nice to see my OH Press moving again, hasn't moved in months. Well, heavy week is over. I'm actually looking forward to the deload this week. I feel strong but my body is tired. Happy Valentine's to everyone...But try not to get anyone pregnant.
    5'10"

Change your journal title to what YOU want... people have to think i'm a huge d bag when they read mine, but I like it. Good workouts in here, man. Volume increases are damn big! So I take it you don't bench in a power rack so you have to get spots for heavy sets? Keep at them chins, dude.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

The 135lb press was probably so difficult because of all the working sets you did before you attempted it. Did you do the OH presses seated or standing? I find that standing push presses can really increase your military press PR over time.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Change your journal title to what YOU want... people have to think i'm a huge d bag when they read mine, but I like it. Good workouts in here, man. Volume increases are damn big! So I take it you don't bench in a power rack so you have to get spots for heavy sets? Keep at them chins, dude.
    Hmmm, yeah I'll have to think about it. I don't really like the current one, but I haven't thought of anything great. I'm def open to suggestion for you creative types out there...

The 135lb press was probably so difficult because of all the working sets you did before you attempted it. Did you do the OH presses seated or standing? I find that standing push presses can really increase your military press PR over time.
    You're right that could have been it. I do OH presses while standing, but I try to keep my legs out of the movement. Don't really need them anyways, my sticking point is about half way up. Push press might be useful if I get stuck again though.
    5'10"