The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Never Satisfied.

bulking up and doing dips/pull ups

I was thinking, when you are bulking, and therefore gaining about a pound a week or whatever, would it be safe to say that exercises like dips and pull ups would not really increase during this time?

Like if you weigh 175 today and can do 8 reps on your last set, and next week you weigh 176, but can still only get 8 reps on your last set. In this case, would you be progessing? Sure you can only do the 8 reps, the same exact thing you were able to do the week before, but now there is an extra pound or 2 on you, so it's like you weighted the lift by that extra 1-2 pounds.

Does this make any sense?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yup. I found this out the hard way last night after having about 5-6 extra lbs since last time I did pullups.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Banned
    that's a really good question

I would think a lot of it depends on how far along you are in your working out. If you're just starting, odds are that you will make pretty rapid strength gains regardless, so it would be a non-factor.

if you're adding weight to yourself when doing dips, you could try to compensate for gaining bodyweight by slightly reducing how much you're attaching to yourself before doing dips/pullups.

i.e. you weigh 175 and strap on 25 lbs when doing dips. You gain a pound, so you only strap 24lbs on... you're still moving 200lb total for your reps.

However, I would take it as a challenge, and I would try to keep increasing reps/weight as normal, irrespective of bodyweight. at 1lb/week, it's a pretty gradual change anyway, hardly enough for your muscles to notice, I'd think.

Just a guess
    Callahan

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    if you're only gaining a little bit each week, I think you could actually gain strength over time doing them.

Progressing 1 or 2 pounds a week on them wouldn't be the way I would aim for. Get a backpack and fill it full of weight and wear it while doing chins and dips (wear it reverse for dips). This way you can progress in them like you do any other exercise.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Extremely Disturbed
    Technically you are progressing, but qualitatively as Callahan & TryingToBeBig have already noted, this progression is of little value. Every week you should try to add a rep or a half rep. When you've been able to reach 10 with bodyweight, it's time to add some plates.
    H

I have added weights. Quite a few in fact. What makes it complicated is that +70 at 170 lbs isn't the same load as +70 at 177 lbs (as I'll attest to).
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Extremely Disturbed
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    I have added weights. Quite a few in fact. What makes it complicated is that +70 at 170 lbs isn't the same load as +70 at 177 lbs (as I'll attest to).
    I was referring to the 1-2lb increment cited by intensity. I agree, anything over 5 is a noticeble difference.
    H